Umm still the same pants size?

Options
So I've been doing this on and off since last november, and have lost 34 pounds. Woohoo! But trying on my pants from last winter, and they fit just fine. what. why. how. who. what. when. Anyone else having this problem? I always see commercial of people who have lost 30 pounds and went down like 8 pants size. What a bummer.

Replies

• bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lol I have this problem too, I just ranted about this to my friends last week. I'm down 32 no change, I think the more u have to lose the more weight needed till u go down a size. A lot of people told me 35 or 40 lost was what it took so hopefully soon.
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How you carry your weight makes a difference. I'm still in the same jeans, but my wide-necked shirts are falling off of my shoulders because they don't fit right anymore.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ive lost 49 lbs and have only dropped one size in pants so i get you.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have lost 65 and am only down 2 jeans sizes. So frustrating!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to monitor your body fat %? Losing a bunch of weight is great... but if it's a lot of muscle loss due to a high calorie deficit and not enough strength exercise... your body fat % could actually go up.

Also, you might be in the same pants size... but they may be fitting better. Not as much muffin top, for example? I'm still in the same pant size too, my hips just won't cooperate.... but I do see that they are a bit looser in the thighs and waist.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing this on and off since last november, and have lost 34 pounds. Woohoo! But trying on my pants from last winter, and they fit just fine. what. why. how. who. what. when. Anyone else having this problem? I always see commercial of people who have lost 30 pounds and went down like 8 pants size. What a bummer.

I had to lose 40 pounds to go down from a 24 to a 22. I am currently in a 20, but I am get closer all the time to fitting into my old size 18s!

Honestly, I think I was actually a size 26 wearing a size 24 when I first started at 263 pounds. I am thinking I will need to get down to 180 before the 18s fit well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How you carry your weight makes a difference. I'm still in the same jeans, but my wide-necked shirts are falling off of my shoulders because they don't fit right anymore.

^^ This too! I was wearing a 3XL when I started, with a 2XL a little tight. Now I am in XL. I think most of my fat is in my hips. :laugh:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I always complain that it takes FOREVER to drop a pant size!!!!! Then as you get smaller it seems like every 5 lbs is a new pant size! Hang in there! It'll happen and I'm sure they are not quit as snug as they once were!:flowerforyou:
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    14 down and I am just now comfortable in my women's size 16 pants. Still a squeeze to get into "normal" size 16. But I can tell that I'm losing back fat and I've always had big hips and a big booty, so I know things are moving along.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I lost a few pounds don't know how much to get into pants I grew out of I think it was like 25 pounds from what I can gather about how much I had reduced my calories and the rate I am losing now. Anyway, 28 pounds since March and I am still wearing the same pants and tops. The difference is they have gone from uncomfortable to being ridiculously big seriously it's like I am wearing clown pants. I am going clothes shopping toward the end of the month though so anyway. It takes a long time for me to change sizes. My theory is that I have a lot to lose and on top of that I have a wide frame so I think it take bigger losses to lose sizes.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on MFP that you go down a pant size about every 30 pounds.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. I'm a pear, so my weight loss started up top and is slowly working down to my hips. I'm not too far from goal, so it's got to come off my bum soon, otherwise I'll look like Skeletor w/ a booty.:grumble:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pants can still fit but it doesn't mean that you wouldn't fit in something 2 sizes smaller either.

I didn't change sizes for what seemed forever, I mean my 18 pants were getting loose but still fit, then one day I went to try new ones on and I fit in 14s just fine. I still fit in those 14s but fit in the 8s I bought 3 months later too. Sizes really don't vary that much when you think about it, and you've probably lost a size or two without noticing.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It seems pant sizes go UP much faster than they go DOWN. I went from a 4 to a 16 in one year by gaining 50 pounds, but the shrinking back seems to take more pounds per size.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It seems pant sizes go UP much faster than they go DOWN. I went from a 4 to a 16 in one year by gaining 50 pounds, but the shrinking back seems to take more pounds per size.

Sadly, I think this can probably be explained by gaining only fat but losing a combination of fat and lean muscle mass... :cry:
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Probably.....I gained 12 inches of pure fat around my waist, but the loss seems both smaller and more over all the body, leaving with me with a big belly.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some of my pants from before I lost weight still fit. But I was wearing them lots tighter then. They gap at the waist now instead of creating a muffintop.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I think it took almost 50lbs before I finally went down a size. Now its moving faster, went from size 12 to 8/10 in about a month and only lost 3lbs, but I have been focusing on my lower half my doing lots of squats and deadlifts.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Most women carry their weight in the hips and butt, since that's the last place it usually comes off it can take a while to drop pant sizes, but once it starts you should drop them fairly quickly.

Rigger
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on MFP that you go down a pant size about every 30 pounds.

Not always true. It depends on how much you have to lose and where you need to lose it.

Most of my weight was in my lower belly. I am down 33 pounds and down 2 sizes and almost into a size even smaller. I started in a 12 and I am now a loose 8 almost a 6. So in the next 5 pounds or so, I will be down a total of three sizes.