Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    donut is the American way
    doughnut is the British way.

so you are saying donut is the correct spelling

Actually, doughnut is the correct spelling.

Donut is the commercialized spelling. Thank you Dunkin Donuts for destroying the English language!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Doughnut is the correct spelling, no matter what side of the pond you are on. It's the original form of the word and the one that's "officially" dictionary approved as the correct spelling.

Donut is a shortened form of the word which has become readily acceptable. It's been in use for hundreds of years at this point though, so it's not *wrong*, it's just a different version of the original word. Though, even now, "donut" appears with a red, squiggly, line of warning that I have a misspelled word,

In writing, doughnut is the more accepted form, though donut has been making more of an appearance over the years. And it's not just in the US, donut appears in plenty of non-US publications as well.

I tend to lean towards doughnut myself, but will shorten to donut on occasion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Originally Doughnut - I think it was a baker in america in 1900's that coined the shorter "donut" version. And of course, Dunkin' Donuts immortalized it.

Krispy Kreme still spells it correctly! :tongue:

edited to add - And they make a better doughnut too!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The official answer is...yes.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The official answer is...yes.

YES!
  • NoirDancer
    Options
    It's a perfect circle of deliciousness.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    GAH! Now I want some....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Both are correct. And both are sitting on a table in my office and I'm trying to ignore them!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking!
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It's spelled "Do-Not"
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Actually, doughnut is the correct spelling.

Donut is the commercialized spelling. Thank you Dunkin Donuts for destroying the English language!

This. It's Doughnut. Dunkin Donuts is a brand, and the "Donut" part unfortunately is replacing the real spelling.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    It's spelled "Do-Not"

I don't think that is correct
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You gotta take the UGH out of the DO. It's never fun to spell the whole thing out.

eta: I love Dunkin Donuts... so I use their spelling.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Doughnut is the correct spelling, no matter what side of the pond you are on. It's the original form of the word and the one that's "officially" dictionary approved as the correct spelling.

Donut is a shortened form of the word which has become readily acceptable. It's been in use for hundreds of years at this point though, so it's not *wrong*, it's just a different version of the original word. Though, even now, "donut" appears with a red, squiggly, line of warning that I have a misspelled word,

In writing, doughnut is the more accepted form, though donut has been making more of an appearance over the years. And it's not just in the US, donut appears in plenty of non-US publications as well.

Broscience
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It's doughnut.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If they're anywhere near me, they're spelled "do...gone".
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The only appropriate approach to this quandary is to try one of each and decide for yourself.

For me, it's "doughnut," but only because Krispy Kreme, the protector of all that is right and sacred about doughnuts, spells it that way. . .
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Donut is a shortened form of the word which has become readily acceptable. It's been in use for hundreds of years at this point though, so it's not *wrong*, it's just a different version of the original word. Though, even now, "donut" appears with a red, squiggly, line of warning that I have a misspelled word.

Broscience

No, etymology. I was looking into opening a doughnut shop a few years ago and contemplated using donut over doughnut for the name of the shop, but after doing my research into it, found the history of it and decided to stick with doughnut.

Unfortunately, another shop opened in the area that I wanted (and uses donut in their shop name) so I haven't pursued the shop any further at this time. Granted, I did still eat at that shop for all six days that I was in the area last month, so I'm not faulting them at all. heh

And I originally found out the information using Google, which, if you wanted to verify what I wrote, you could too. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    For me, it's "doughnut," but only because Krispy Kreme, the protector of all that is right and sacred about doughnuts, spells it that way. . .

EXACTLY THIS! :drinker:

If you spell it any other way, then you aren't eating a real doughnut! :tongue:
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    What if I want a fritter instead? Apple fritter.