Diet Soda!!

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I just noticed there is a link between me drinking diet coke and overeating. I don't know what but there is a definite link. So I won't be having any more of that!

There is evidence that artificial sweeteners (and some sugars like fructose for that matter) interfere with the brain's ability to recognize satiety. So, yes, for many of us, diet soda increases our appetite.

I went from a daily-can't-go-anywhere-without-it Diet Coke habit to finding a week or so ago when I had some, after going a month or so without any artificial sweeteners, and found it now tastes disgusting to me. I poured it down the sink. I'm giving the rest of what's in my cupboards away. Even eating out, I am now a plain iced tea girl.

If you suspect artificial sweeteners bring on the munchies for you, they probably do. Not everyone may feel this effect but I certainly do.
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and other drinks with artificial sweeteners and I have not had any issues losing the 50+ pounds. So no, doesn't have any control over weight loss.

Unless you are someone who has no willpower because that diet soda makes you want candy... then you might have issues.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I haven't had issues losing weight while drinking diet sodas. I make sure to drink my water through the day, and I count calories; so long as I am hydrated and my hunger satiated, I haven't noticed false signs of hunger from diet sodas or other fake sweeteners. I only consume it with real food, that may be the difference.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think there actually has been some "research" (note the air quotes) that has shown that artificial sweeteners may have an impact on weight loss, but I have yet to see any studies that account for complicating factors. There are indeed taste receptors that are used by our internal organs for metabolic purposes, but the impact of artificial sweeteners on those receptors isn't clear. It is particularly unclear if insulin resistance plays a role in that.

As far diet soda being bad for you...you know what's bad for you? Driving. Sitting in traffic. Absolutely terrible. Or even just sitting at a desk. Our bodies didn't evolve for that kind of activity, and it definitely causes physical problems for some people. And yet we don't tell people not to sit because it'll kill them. Instead we tell people to moderate their sitting by including other types of activity as well.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Diet Soda and LOVED Diet Coke.
    But ever since watching "Hungry for Change" on Netflix, I can't drink it anymore. Why would I put that into my body?
    Also, now that I haven't had any in about 6 weeks, it doesn't even sound good anymore.
    It's the weirdest thing...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!
    I have looked. I have never seen any of these "many, many studies" that based their conclusions on anything other than correlation. Since you've obviously read these "many, many studies" that conclusively prove that a zero calorie drink is somehow adding weight to the bodies of those who consume it - ruling out any other factors that may instead be causing the weight gain (or lack of weight loss) - I'd be interested to see the links you have to them.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible diet coke/Diet Dr. Pepper addiction. I could bring a 2 liter to work and finish it by 3 in the afternoon. I constantly drink fluids and I still got my water in, but I still drank 2 to 3 liters of cokes a day.

I starting reading a lot on artificial sweeteners and the effects on my body. I found information that said it does hinder your weight loss. But for me, the biggest issue I had was headaches that were frequently becoming migraines. So not only was I drinking so much diet coke, I was also constantly taking head ache meds.

I don't know what works for others, but for myself, I weened myself off of them. I started only bringing two cans a day to work. And that was all I'd drink. The rest of the day it was only water (I've always loved water myself so this was easy). And then I started to bring one can, and then I started to only have one every other day. And then, something strange happened: I just stopped craving them and enjoying them as much.

I still have diet coke sometimes but not often. And I now rarely have headaches and I just feel more hydrated. Good luck to you!!! I know it's tough!
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I loved soda and diet soda and would drink some every week. Due to restrictions in my caffeine intake though, I cut them out. When I have one now, the first thing I notice is that the taste is SO horrible and I wonder how I ever drank it before. I've thrown out most of it because it's no longer enjoyable to me. I also noticed that I get SO bloated. I haven't noticed that I've lost weight from simply cutting them out though. I just feel better not drinking them now. So I don't!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My success was not hindered by drinking 3-8 12oz cans of diet drinks per day. I would periodically cut back and force myself to drink at least 16 oz. of water before drinking another diet soda, but it made no difference in my weight loss and loads of difference in my attitude. I'm happier when I don't feel deprived; therefore, I don't crave other choices that are in opposition to my goals.

My recommendation is to do what works for you personally.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    You could be like me and not by into the fear mongering and enjoy 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi' a day and lose a few pounds.... But to each there own.... Best of Luck....

lol this. I drink 1-2 diet cokes per day and it hasn't hindered my weight loss, I feel great too :smile:
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!
    I have looked. I have never seen any of these "many, many studies" that based their conclusions on anything other than correlation. Since you've obviously read these "many, many studies" that conclusively prove that a zero calorie drink is somehow adding weight to the bodies of those who consume it - ruling out any other factors that may instead be causing the weight gain (or lack of weight loss) - I'd be interested to see the links you have to them.

Oh don't encourage the poster. You can find a "study" that proves almost anything.

OP, there are thin people who drink diet coke and there are overweight people who avoid it. I don't think you will see a huge drop in weight from cutting it out.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There is no research actually showing whether diet soda causes weight gain or not. There is research showing it causes heart problems http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/daily-diet-soda-tied-higher-risk-stroke-heart-attack/#.Uf_7jZK1GSo

There is research showing it causes neurological problems http://www.livestrong.com/article/487028-nerve-problems-and-soda-aspartame/

and if you think splenda is safe http://www.biotrust.com/why-you-should-never-use-splenda/

when it comes right down to it, these drinks and things are chemical compounds made by man, and they are not good for you overall, and some of them are downright dangerous

also google "caffeine overdose" and check out the symptoms- many soft drink consumers think they are having health problems only to discover their only real health problem is caffeine overdose
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just cut it and make the journey a whole lot easier!
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just cut it and make the journey a whole lot easier!

How? It has no calories, it isn't magically turning into sugar when you drink it, how can it possibly make it easier to not drink it? 56 pounds gone, I still drink it. I also drink lots of water, but I still drink plenty of artificial sweeteners.
  • bluecat71151
    Options
    I finally realised that diet drinks, artificial sweeteners and diet foods which contain sweeteners were the very things that were making me feel hungry all the time. So last month, I stopped having AFs in my tea and look very carefully at labels on low-calorie foods (mainly yogurt). Twice since then I've tried a diet coke and, low and behold, I felt bloated and peckish so I'm happy with my decision. I've also tackled processed carbohydrates which I've known for ages are not good for my blood sugars (I'm Type2).

Artificial sweeteners are known to be one of the causes of why we are always hungry; I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to make the decision to stop using them. I'd rather have a raw cane sugar cube in my one cup of coffee a day than a half a dozen sweeteners or more which is what I'd often have with all the cups of tea I used to drink. Now I drink a very nice loose Turkish tea which I can drink without any sweetening agent.
  • bluecat71151
    Options
    I read the article about Splenda on the BioTrust site and agree about the sweetner issue (of all types) but then this site lost all credibility when, part way through, they start to promote their probiotic product at the same time, decrying other probiotics on the market. I don't know enough about probiotics but have always felt "there's another con..."
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Not really since it doesn't directly affect your weight loss. However personally I find it makes me make other bad choices that does affect my weight loss. Cutting it out can only be a good thing. Unless its something you 'need' to help keep the other things in check.

This^^^^^ totally in agreement, as a side note, I found quitting diet soda helped my joints/ arthritis as well as relieving many digestive problems I was having
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I finally realised that diet drinks, artificial sweeteners and diet foods which contain sweeteners were the very things that were making me feel hungry all the time. So last month, I stopped having AFs in my tea and look very carefully at labels on low-calorie foods (mainly yogurt). Twice since then I've tried a diet coke and, low and behold, I felt bloated and peckish so I'm happy with my decision. I've also tackled processed carbohydrates which I've known for ages are not good for my blood sugars (I'm Type2).

Artificial sweeteners are known to be one of the causes of why we are always hungry; I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to make the decision to stop using them. I'd rather have a raw cane sugar cube in my one cup of coffee a day than a half a dozen sweeteners or more which is what I'd often have with all the cups of tea I used to drink. Now I drink a very nice loose Turkish tea which I can drink without any sweetening agent.

I disagree. I find that a diet coke will full me up and curb my appetite. But, we are all different and I agree that different people will have different reactions to artificial sweeteners. Everyone needs to find out what suits them best.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink Zevia or Honest Fizz - These "sodas" are calorie free and sweetened with Stevia! Truly amazing :)
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas do more good than harm for me. They keep me full, they give my very limited diet some flavor options, and they don't contribute to my calorie quota.

I don't know if I'd lose more weight without them, but I'm betting the extra metabolism you get from caffeine at least cancels out whatever hindrance the artificial sweeteners cause.

Lately I've been replacing some of my diet soda intake with Perrier Citron, which is just sparkling water + lemon/lime flavor, no sweetener or anything else, and have also been using unsweetened flavored seltzers. Haven't noticed a difference in weight loss, but at least I feel a little safer taking in less chemicals.