Biggest Out-to-Eat Disappointment

Options
Just wondered what everyone's biggest letdown was as far as going out to eat somewhere and finding out that a dish that would appear to be lo-cal was actually sky-high in caolries, fat, sodium, etc.

The Santa Fe Chicken Wrap at Chili's was a shocker!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I went to a Chili's at the airport and looked at their "healthy" section of the menu. The preface to the selections stated that these dishes were all under 1100 calories. WELL I WOULD CERTAINLY HOPE SO! My God! THAT'S healthy? I was shocked. I got up and went somewhere else.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    My favorite dish at the Cheesecake Factory was ALWAYS Chicken Maderia. I did used to eat half and take the other half home for the next day BUT it is over 1400 calories and over 2000 g of sodium. Yikes!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Some of the meals I used to get from Champps Grill (its a restaurant chain), they had 1500-2000 calories!!! Not including the 2 sodas I would drink with the meal. Just seeing what I had been ordering when I ate out in general was eye opening. Now I scour the menu and spend 5 minutes online checking the calories before I order. My dinner guests just love me :D
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I knew it wasn't low cal but I thought if I ate 1/2 a cornbread muffin from Famous Dave's I would be fairly safe. Got home, looked it up, only to find that one single muffin had 600 calories.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My husband's favorite pasta dish at Boston Pizza has 1700 hundred calories, no wonder he could only manage to eat half. He is a big guy but even half for him is way too much at a sitting. But I much rather know how much everything is than going to a restaurant and trying to guess if I am making a good choice.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I knew it wasn't low cal but I thought if I ate 1/2 a cornbread muffin from Famous Dave's I would be fairly safe. Got home, looked it up, only to find that one single muffin had 600 calories.

oh, man, how i miss Famous Daves! I can never resist the cornbread muffins! One night we were there close to closing and our waiter just gave us the six leftover muffins PLUS the ones that came with our meal! :sick:
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I won't even go to Chili's or Cheesecake Factory anymore b/c their calorie counts are astronomical and not worth it!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    isn't it a shocker! Now I look up calories before I go somewhere and it still makes me cringe! i went to Beef O'Bradys and was going to get the plain boneless chicken which was the lesser of two evils. They brought me the regular wings, I thought, can't be too different. Over 600 calories difference! ARG! I was so angry at myself for not putting my foot down and actually getting what I wanted to begin with! :mad:
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    at chili's my mom and i used to get this turkey sandwich and we thought it was healthy, even w/o the dressings and such, but it wasn't! also, at arbys, we used to split a turkey sandwich and it too has a lot of calories. its amazing!
  • Poot1971
    Poot1971 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Applebees Sante Fe Chicken Salad 1300 calories 94 grams of fat 3500 mg sodium.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I LOVE Chili's and it's been awhile since I been since the nearest one is an hour away (we have an applebee's 5 mins from our house and i tell my husband I wish it was Chili's instead)

my fave meal I get all the time is Margarita Grilled Chicken - so went to the site and checked it out - only 600 cals which to me is not to bad especially when I save my eating out on free days.
  • Atomaszewski
    Options
    The quesadilla at Pollo tropical. Waited all week to get one saving some extra calories daily. Why I didn't bother checking the calories before I got it no idea. Anyways the whole quesadilla was about the size of a deck of cards(tiny) and I shared and gave half to my husband. That tiny half I had cost me 400 calories. No Bueno!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    deep fried ice cream should come with a warning label: 100 grams of fat & 1100 calories. Put that on the menu.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My kids love Logans Roadhouse and I usually do pretty well...a bunless plain burger and veggies or a side salad and plain potato...the other day I decided to have one of their rolls. Knowing how much calories is in the bread I normally eat, I assumed it would be 125-150 cals...WRONG! 225 for one roll! When you add it to the bunless burger, it totally killed my calories for the day. I was thinking bad things about rolls all throughout my extra aerobics video that I had to do to counter the misjudgement.
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I go out I pretty much plan on where ever it is to be bad for me so I plan my workout for after where ever it is I'm going and as I eat plan on how much more I'm gonna have to workout so it helps me eat less.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I had to stop eating at Quiznos. I loved their salads but holy cow! The Raspberry Chipolte Chicken Chopped salad is 710 calories with 30 fat grams.
  • rastrillo
    rastrillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    710 calorie salad!?!
  • NaturallyMara
    NaturallyMara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Jason's Deli Tuna Melt on Wheat....over 1,000 calories...
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    When I go out I pretty much plan on where ever it is to be bad for me so I plan my workout for after where ever it is I'm going and as I eat plan on how much more I'm gonna have to workout so it helps me eat less.

I agree.....you are going "out"......you know it is going to be way above what you would prepare at home and way over in sodium. Just plan on working it off later.....that is what I do.....but I enjoy it when I do go out since I only go out like twice a month or so.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory: Lunch portion cobb. Way too big for anyone to eat the whole thing... get the dressing on the side and it's less than 590 cals for the entire thing. If you only eat half, like me, it's less than 300 cals. Not too shabby for them.

My biggest disappointment has been almost any Italian restaurant. Their salads are LOADED with calories and sodium. You're better off getting a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce than any salad on most of their menus.