Ladies & Pull-Ups

Options
13»

Replies

• Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Negative pull-ups (as opposed to assisted) will help you reach your goal faster.

^^^and also pushups will help body upper body to support your weight. Its orked for Me, im at 11 pullups :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even do them in high school when I was thin and healthy! I do a modified version of them on the total gym though. I don't see me every actually doing it the old fashioned way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

good god please link the cross fit response to that... it's wildly amusing.

who ever wrote that article is an idiot- I've been doing pull ups for years.

or I guess what I **thought** were pull ups. maybe I should quit... even though now I'm up to doing sets of weighted pull ups- or faux pull ups.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I went from 0 pull up to 20 pull ups (from dead hang).

Pull ups are meant to engage in the back muscles. So do some lifting that will strengthen you back. Row, Lat pull downs, etc. With lat pull downs attempt to pull down a weight greater than what your weigh. I have don't use the assisted pull up machine.

I also made sure i had the proper from. Hold in your core. have the proper grip (fingers above the bar and thumb touching the middle and pointer finger). Engage your back muscles and not your shoulders.

Good luck.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    impressed with 20 pullups.

your saying you did not use an assist machine?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im sure this has been stated already... but just in case it hasnt... PUSH UPS..

My teens are in state champ cheer/football... and both their coaches make them do pushups every day.... start with girlie and progress to big boy.... when you have mastered the push up and can easily do 15-20.... then you should be able to start working on your pull ups... you should be able to lift your body weight at that point and do at least 2-5 pull ups.. :) From there its practice makes perfect.. :) LOL
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Im sure this has been stated already... but just in case it hasnt... PUSH UPS..

My teens are in state champ cheer/football... and both their coaches make them do pushups every day.... start with girlie and progress to big boy.... when you have mastered the push up and can easily do 15-20.... then you should be able to start working on your pull ups... you should be able to lift your body weight at that point and do at least 2-5 pull ups.. :) From there its practice makes perfect.. :) LOL

LOL indeed--12-20 push-ups gives you the ability to do at least 2-5 pull ups? I am guessing you are not speaking from experience.