Overweight horseback riders group?

Options
So I found a few horse related horseback riding groups, although I really wanted to start my own focused more on people who are overweight or plus sized. I want to share and discuss the challenges, any tips or tricks you might have, and just be around people how have similar goals.

I'm a crazy horse obsessed 25 year old. Been overweight my entire life. I had to bust my butt to get my own horse and I love him more than words can say. He is a 13 year old Black tobiano TWH. His name is Skyy. <3 I'm currently 245lbs and Ideall would like to get down to 120/115. I'm short. 5'2 so i think that's a logical weight goal?

Anyways I'd love for people to share their weight loss goals, horses, horse stories, discuss anything related to being overweight and being a horseback rider. Maybe excercises to help you become a better rider. Work certain riding muscles. Etc. Get fit while doing something we love!

I'd love members in my new group because I could use all the support I can get. :] I want friends and people I can go to when the going gets tough!!

Replies

• appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and a rider. My favorite horse is a 26 y/o appaloosa, I am above his weight grade. He is developing hip problems in his old age.

I haven't ridden much in the past few years, so I have lost a lot of balance, which makes riding my filly and other appaloosa terrifying. They both like to misbehave. So I would be glad to join. I need to start doing balance exercises so getting in the saddle doesn't seem quiet as scary!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-time horse rider and owner. I have a 13 year old Buckskin mare, and though she has a crazy attitude problem, I love her so much.

I used to feel really uncomfortable when I jumped her. I thought I was way too big (~240 pounds), and it upset me. But then I decided that she's a big girl (over 16 hands), and she can handle it.

I also play polo on a number of different horses. It takes a lot to get my fat butt up out of the saddle and into half seat, but I get it done!
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    Oh I just LOVE appaloosas. One of the first horses I ever rode was an appy. I love the breed, their temperament, and color patterns. I think whenever I can afford to get another horse, it'll most definitely be an appaloosa or at least a cross.

I know what you mean when you say balance issues. I feel like if I was a bit more in shape i'd be a lot more balanced!! I'd love if you'd join! :] I can send you an invite? We should start a challenge of some sort. I'd love to see pictures of your horses!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When out of town relatives come to stay with us, occasionally they want to go horseback riding. I've learned that when making stable reservations, if you are over 220 pounds, you have to give them a couple days notice, so they can have an appropriate horse for you. For me, at 265, they would bring in "Tank". I rode Tank.

Now that I'm under 200 pounds, I no longer need Tank. Just another NSV!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I've been horse crazy since I was a little kid, but have never had the circumstances to own one. Last fall DH gave me riding lessons, and I spent about an hour posting during one of them. Then my left knee swelled up and I had lots of pain and doctor visits. I had given myself bursitis in my left knee by hoisting my tubby self out of the saddle too many times. Online research kept coming up with " common among overweight women..." It was an epiphany and I decided to get my health back. That is when I found MFP. I kept up my lessons, but no more posting. I finished my series of lessons and both my teacher and I had conflicts for several months afterward. I'm still too busy to resume lessons but I will, and will do so without agonizing knee pain.
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    xxghost - I've always wanted to try jumping!! I too felt like I would be way too big. -- The first horse I owned was an ex-endurance arab. She was amazing. Unfortunately due to financial issues I had to rehome her it broke my heart I still with I could get her back. :( She was tiny 14.2hands. The second horse i've owned was an amazing andalusian. I loved her to pieces she was a rescue case. Feet badly neglected, Foundered. It was awful. She was at one time worth $84,000!!! I got her for free but she had a rearing problem and was 24 years old by the time she was all healed up. I didn't have the time or experience to retrain her and after her almost falling back on me - we had to part ways. She's better off retired. If I could of afforded to keep her to live out her days I would have. Now I have Skyy. My 17h TWH. I'm glad he's so big because I feel a lot more confident on him. He's a really good boy a dream really.

Thats awesome that you play polo too!! I realllllllly want to get into other equestrian 'events'. I'm an avid trail rider but would love to try barrels, or dressage, or XC. Any and everything. Everything horse related i've had to do myself and money is not something I have a lot of lmao. Trainers and lessons are so expensive. I spent a lot of time learning from youtube and horse forums. Luckily I have a horse savvy fiance as well. :]

Woo that was a long story.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    ***edited***

Just ignore this post.
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    Justwanderful- That's so amazing you don't need Tank anymore! I can only imagine how calling ahead so they can find a horse 'suitable' would make you feel. Argh. :( But what a success!! Thats just awesome!!!

Katla49 - Lord knows I wouldn't be able to post to save my life right now. Your poor knees. I bet that was so painful. It's great that it led you here though!! I hope you get back into lessons some day! <3 And great job on your successes! Almost 60lbs. That's amazing!!!
  • kay1977newme
    kay1977newme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am an owner lol but of mini shetland ponies I do ride my friends cobs now and then! and yes overweight hehe
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm a horse addict! I've had 3 Arabians, my first I lost tragically in a fire, my second who is 6 was just diagnosed with Wobbler's disease (he's in my ticker) and the reason I decided to lose weight. His name is Disco. He is currently living with his breeder until we figure out how bad his Wobbler's is and if he can still do any work like maybe carting. I just bought a new 14 year old Arabian named Mateuss and we are just getting to know each other. See the pattern here.

Anyway I am training for eventing and just learning how to jump. Mateuss has primarily been a trail horse so cross country will be no issue for him but dressage is going to be tough. I am also interested in endurance which goes hand in hand with conditioning for cross country so next year I will be doing both hopefully.

I started at 236 and wanted to get to 140 but my personal trainer said I have too much muscle mass for that to happen, a more realistic goal is between 150-160. Still no problem for a fit horse to jump with, especially since the rider helps.

I was afraid I would break Disco, literally when I first started riding him at 236. I am only 5'4". So that's when I decided enough is enough, oh yeah, and when I had to learn to post and hold my butt out of the saddle with just my inner thighs for endurance conditioning, I won't even get into 2-pointing last winter. And being a big girl, my bust always hurt after riding from all the bouncing and several times my stomach was bruised from getting pinched in my endurance saddle.

As far as fitness, in addition to having a personal trainer to get stronger, I have used a book called "The Rider's Fitness Program" and love it. My trainer is going to get me strong enough to do those exercises and is incorporating variations into my fitness plan right now. He said it's a really good program as he's never trained a rider either. It works on balance, core, and the entire arms and legs. I've also started running using C25K and that has really helped my trotting and cantering, I don't get nearly as out of breath and yes I have to post a lot.
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    Bmckinneybc- I looooove Arabians! Bahaha. LIke I said my first horse was one. An ex-endurance mare herself. They are another one of my favorite breeds. They are actually what my fiance grew up riding and showing. He was biiiiig into western. I'm into western myself but like I said I want to try other things as well. Eventually I'd like a non gaited horse to try some eventing or XC, or something. I just want to learn it all. Seriously I couldn't even pick there are so many awesome things to do with horses. I think once I succeed as motivation i'll spend some money on learning a new discipline besides western. Not that anything is wrong with it but I would love to try something on the total opposite side of the spectrum. And maybe by then i'll have enough confidence to actually do it. I have wicked horrible anxiety that stems from a gigantic lack of confidence.

Thats so inspirational though. I'm a shorty as well. 5'2 and also have a lot of muscle mass. I really want to check out that book! Sounds like it would be a great help!! Eventually when I can get my cardio up as in not dying after running a block I want to try the C25k - I did it a few months back but I was so out of shape it murdered me. I think if anyone were to see me running they would think I was a zombie. LOL
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting your own horse - a partner in weight loss! I had a horse when I was younger and miss riding so much. I tried to keep it up after my boys were born but just could not spend the money. Unfortunately, in my area it is very expensive to own and ride horses and my financial priorities are not allowing me to treat myself. I want to ride again but at 280 pounds (yup you read right!) - I am an out of shape load. I volunteer at a local therapeutic riding program to get my horse fix - and burn those calories! I want to go riding out in Sedona for a family vacation next spring but I wonder if they have weight limits - and I am too embarrassed to ask. I do think there are horses that can handle larger riders - and that your balance as a rider probably plays the biggest role in protecting the horse. Be warned though that there are some thin riders out there with very strong opinions about overweight riders - but you hopefully won't run into any of those of MFP. Have fun!
  • highflyer88
    highflyer88 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and a rider too. My horse is a paint TWH named Skeeter that I've had for a little over two years now. Love her and don't ride as much as I should (Work and kids don't always allow it). Let me know if you start a group more than happy to join!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have had a love for horses since I was 5! I think they are beautiful and majestic animals. I use to ride when I was younger and I loved it. Living in North Michigan my cousins had horses and I rode every chance I got; in the fields, to the lake for picnic's, and we would race. I haven't been a horse since I have been overweight (afraid that I might damage the horse). Glad to know that there are places where heavy people can ride. I hope to ride again someday.
  • Asphaltcowgirlx
    Options
    I have to agree - my weight has been the number one thing stopping me from accomplishing my equestrian goals. I'm so worried what people think, say, and I most certainly don't want to hurt my horse! Fortunately he gets mistaken as a draft horse he's so large and I know he doesn't have too much trouble carrying my butt around. My main motivation however is to get in shape for him. I make him work and exercise and I feel like a hypocrite! LOL

Here is the link to the group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15739-overweight-horseback-riders
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to love to ride and also drive.

The last time I was on a horse was at a park and they put me on this huge draft horse while everyone else was riding a regular quarter horse mix and I was so embarrassed. I was probably 180 at the time so have no idea why they thought I needed such a a huge horse when there were tall grown men who I am sure weighed more than me on regular horses.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a horse but have been unable to ride most of this year due to a shoulder injury so as Rod at the stable puts it she is just lounging in the pasture with her buddy Jerico. Jule is a quarter horse, 14.2 but stocky. She has no trouble carrying my weight. I am about 203 right now. We mostly trail ride but I would like to try Western dressage. I also watched horse soccer at the Midwest Horse Fair in Wisconsin and that looked like fun too. My daughter belongs to a group on Facebook called "help I can't get on my horse" that is for riders trying to lose weight. This could be an interesting and helpful group. Sue
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I've ridden since I was very little started western than went English when I was about 14 or 13. I've worked on farms since I was 15 and am now the manager at a stable going on 5 years now. I got my first horse when I was 19. Everything has been paid through my hard work and sweat to own the boys I have.
    My first horse was a problem horse to everyone, but he was my boy. A big 16.2hh Thoroughbred/Paint (sport horse). To shorten a long story, he would buck and rear with everyone and refuse jumps. I turned him around and got him performing for me. But it took over a year of hard work and patience to work with him. And still even with all that work...no one else can ride him like I can.

My second horse was a rescue case. Skinny as could be OTTB (Off the Track Thoroughbred). 16hh. He was my baby, and my world. I had him for a short time before he lost his battle to health problems and sight loss. But in that time I had turned him around to become the most beautiful little studly boy everyone on the farm had seen. He came a long way from the beginning. He was high strung and nervous. His story truly showed what love and a second chance could do. Even though I lost him almost a year ago.
    After losing my beloved Topper, I have yet to get another horse. Some reason being because all the emotional stress I went through with him and the loss. And with school now coming up, it is not possible. I now ride for others as an exercise rider at the farm. And have ridden many of them, but never really bond with them as I did with the old pasture horse no one rode. He is 30 yrs and loves the trails. He was the one to pull me away from my loss quite a bit.

And now I ride and compete at 3 ft. on a 15.3hh Appaloosa. He belongs to the farm owner. Here again was another horse no one would ride or really could. I remember riding that horse back in high school and getting bucked off, but that didn't stop me. But after getting involved with more project horses then owning my own, I had not ridden that horse in three years. No one but the owner could. And now...no one still can ride that horse but the owner and me.
    My trainer says, that horse would never let anyone else ride him the way I do. And it took a lot of patience to get him this far.

Through all the bucks, rears, bolts, and falls I've had in my life....I'd still never give it up.

As far as weight, I gained a bit after I went on leave from school and my riding felt way off. But as far as the main issue over overweight riders goes. I will say, don't change the way you ride to please others because they look at you as being too heavy. But always keep in mind the horse's health in the long run.
  • EquineVicky
    EquineVicky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you in the Fit to Ride FB group?
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I asked to join both groups. I’d love to get back up on a horse. I used to compete in jumping (4ft) and dressage until I began my focus on training with behavioural horses and younger greener ones. Being as big as I was I was solid in the saddle and could handle any bucking horse. The last time I was on a horse was around 7 years ago. Totally embarrassing; they had to bring out the “BIG GIRL” for me to ride. *sigh* All the little kids around were pointing at me and the horse asking why I got such a big horse. Ya, I was on a Percheron. LOL But, I must say the ride on the beach in San Francisco was well worth the embarrassment. Before that, it had been 4 years since I stopped riding all together. This was when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I gained 100lbs during the pregnancy and never went back to doing what I loved. One of these days I’d love to be confident enough to get back in the saddle!