Food Database, wish we could clean up entries

Options
Would be nice if we could get rid of entries like the following

Generic - Half of Small Banana

Why not use

Fruit - Banana Small (6"-7")

and pick a service size of 1/2.

There are also many duplicate entries and would like to get rid of those w/out the macro nutrient (or get them wrong).

If removing seems unlikely, how about a filter like the following:

Sort By : (*)relevance ()name
Include: () all (*) confirmed [5] times

Where 5 is editable.

The confirmed threshold should probably be in settings so then it would be easy to use from mobile app as well.

Thoughts?

Replies

• chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    I'd be happy if we could just filter the entries to remove all the non-USDA ones that MFP provides. I only use those, basically and it'd be much easier than scrolling slowly and trying to see a missing star.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy if we could just filter the entries to remove all the non-USDA ones that MFP provides. I only use those, basically and it'd be much easier than scrolling slowly and trying to see a missing star.
    ^I agree and have brought this up before...last year...so far no luck
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...once again...

...for this never-ending request.

Maybe now that the format change is done, they can roll out some filtering options on the database.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I wonder if there is a way for MFP to have an indivdiual's database that is not public. I noticed when I enter foods that aren't already in there it is available for everyone. And since I am cross tracking with W/W I only enter Fat, Fiber, Carbs and Protein for my nutrients along with the calories.

W/W Tracking system has a database that they maintain (not always accurate) and then the individual can enter foods too but it is only availalbe to them.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    In...

...once again...

...for this never-ending request.

Maybe now that the format change is done, they can roll out some filtering options on the database.

+1
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I wonder if there is a way for MFP to have an indivdiual's database that is not public. I noticed when I enter foods that aren't already in there it is available for everyone. And since I am cross tracking with W/W I only enter Fat, Fiber, Carbs and Protein for my nutrients along with the calories.

W/W Tracking system has a database that they maintain (not always accurate) and then the individual can enter foods too but it is only availalbe to them.

I believe there is a checkbox to indicate if a new entry should be added to the global database...

...(hopefully on both the app and the website, but it's at least on one)...

...and if you are making entries that are incomplete (or even worse, inaccurate), then please, for the love of all that is pure and holy, please uncheck that box. The integrity of the global database depends on it.

Only YOU can prevent database degradation
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I will check when I do entries (FYI I think it was just 1 entry and it was one of my own recipes) and if there is I will not make it global.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When putting in a recipe and searching for flour I really wish that FLOUR was the first thing on the list, not 20 items of flour torillas.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    ^I agree and have brought this up before...last year...so far no luck
    I've been here for over two years, and this request was asked for back then too...
    Same with the data export...
  • frgprncss
    Options
    I'm on board. It's getting worse and worse. I have to filter through so many personal entries and duplicate entries that logging takes forever. I just want my search to turn up official USDA or restaurant entries, and I can make personal entries that are private.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When putting in a recipe and searching for flour I really wish that FLOUR was the first thing on the list, not 20 items of flour torillas.

+1

yea.. or i type in banana and get a million things that are not actually a banana.. (banana flavored, banana filled, banana this or that.. but not plain banana) ANNOYING

I think I typed in beer once and got random result that had nothing to do with beer.

See below: (what does any of this have to do with beer?????)

Search our food database by name:
    Beer

Matching Foods:
    Sort by: Relevance Name
    *Abby's Pizza - Pepperoni With White Sauce

*Apple (Granny Smith) Adjusted - Green Apple

*Apple - Small Red Delicious Apple

Apples - Raw, with skin

*Avocado - Fresh Plain Avocado

*Banana - 1 Medium

Bananas - Raw

Beef - Ground, 85% lean meat / 15% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger)

Beef - Ground, 95% lean meat / 5% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger)

Blackberries - Raw

Blueberries - Raw

*Born 3 Eggs With Omega-3s - Egg

Bread - Whole-wheat, toasted

Broccoli - Raw

Butter - Salted

*Butter With Salt - Butter

Carrots - Baby, raw

Carrots - Raw

Celery - Raw

Cereals - Oats, regular and quick and instant, unenriched, cooked with water, without salt (oatmeal)

Cherries - Sweet, raw

Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted

Coffee - Brewed from grounds

Cookies - Chocolate chip, soft-type

Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained solids

Cream - Half and half

Cucumber - Peeled, raw

Cucumber - With peel, raw

*Daisy - Sour Cream

*Dole Costco** - Banana**

*Egg (Auchan) - Hard-boiled

Eggs - Fried (whole egg)

Eggs - Hard-boiled (whole egg)

Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg)

Extreme Pizza - Greek Salad Small

Extreme Pizza - Yard Sale Indie Pizza

*Fiber One - Fiber One Bar, Oats & Chocolate

*Fresh - Fresh Strawberries

*Fresh Produce - Broccoli - Steamed 1 Cup Chopped (Atkins Net Carbs)

*Frito Lay - Lay's Classic Potato Chips (Small Bag)

*Fruit - Banana Small (6"-7")

*Fruit - Banane (Petite)

*Generic (White Corn) - Tortilla Chips

*Generic - Banana - 126g

*Generic - Beans - Green (8 Oz.)(226g)

*Generic - Cheese (Cheddar)

*Generic - Collard Greens, Raw

Grapes - Raw

*Great Day Farmers Market Corrected Values - Large Egg Grade A

*Great Value - American Cheese Slices

*Great Value - Apple Sauce Unsweetened

*Great Value - Granulated Sugar

*Green Giant Fresh - Selected Baby Cut Carrots

*Heinz (Canada) - Ketchup

*Homemade -outside Grill - Grilled Chicken - Breast

Honey

*Jif - Peanut Butter 2 Tbsp

*Juicing - Green Seedless - Grapes Green Seedless

*Juicing - Peach - Peach

*Kraft - Singles - American Cheese

*Kraft Salad Dressing (Marsala - Classic Ranch Dressing

Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw

Lettuce - Iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw

*Lettuce - Mixed Greens

*Mc - Egg Whites - Egg White

Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat

Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim)

Mushrooms - Raw

*Nabisco - Ritz Crackers Original

*Nancy's Peanut Butter - Natural Creamy Peanut Butter

Oil - Olive

*Olma ,5 - Milk 1%

Onions - Raw

*Orange* - Orange, Navel

Oranges - Raw, navels

*Organic Chicken Breast, Usda - Chicken Breast Skinless Boneless

*Ovoce - Jablko

Panne Provincio Artisan Bread - Organic Sesame Semolina
    Pineapple - Raw, all varieties

Pork - Cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried

*Pork - Pork Loin Chop Boneless

Potatoes - Mashed, home-prepared, whole milk and margarine added

Potatoes - Russet, flesh and skin, baked

Raspberries - Raw

Rice - Brown, long-grain, cooked

Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked

*Schomberg Farms - Cheddar Cheese

*Seedless - Whole 1 lb Watermelon Cubed

Spinach - Raw

Strawberries - Raw

Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato)

*Tomato - Tomato Slice

Turkey breast meat

*Usda - Banana (1 Inch)

*Valu-time - Creamy Peanut Butter

Watermelon - Raw

*Wendy's - Grilled Chicken Breast Only(plain)

*Yvonne's Casa - Sweet Seedless Red Grapes

* = Nutritional information provided by another MyFitnessPal member
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I will check when I do entries (FYI I think it was just 1 entry and it was one of my own recipes) and if there is I will not make it global.

Thank you.

Now...

...spread the word!

:flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

+1

yea.. or i type in banana and get a million things that are not actually a banana.. (banana flavored, banana filled, banana this or that.. but not plain banana) ANNOYING

I think I typed in beer once and got random result that had nothing to do with beer.

Beer

Matching Foods:
    <<<snipped...long list of things that go great with beer>>>

Maybe that's the explanation?

(I mean, besides the obvious explanation that the MFP database and interface needs serious work.)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This really probably belongs in the website feedback board, though it's not like it's something they haven't seen before. But I totally agree. I too prefer to use the non-starred entries as much as humanly possible, especially if I don't have specific nutrition information in front of me to verify with - still might not be perfect but at least it's close and the macros will probably exist/balance. There's nothing that irritates me more than finding an entry for something that says there's (for example) 150 calories, 2 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs.

What about just adding a "sort by"? You can already sort by name and "relevance" (whatever the heck that means, since as a PP mentioned, if you want to log an apple and you type in "apple" you typically have to slog through 25 entries for juice and pie and Applebee's mozzarella sticks before you get to a frigging piece of fruit), you could also add a "user-created" and/or "number of confirmations" or whatever.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I know, right? That is my biggest frustration with the list. If you type "apple" the list should START with plain old apple. Why do I have to type "generic apple - raw" and still get entries that are irrelevent? So annoying.
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    The key to getting the unstarred USDA entries close to the top is to somehow remember which ones are plural and which ones aren't.
    Carrots = yes
    Sugars = yes
    Sweet potatoes = no
    Sweet potato = yes

It's not like it's complicated or anything.

...*tears out hair*
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

+1

Beer

Matching Foods:
    <<<snipped...long list of things that go great with beer>>>

Maybe that's the explanation?

(I mean, besides the obvious explanation that the MFP database and interface needs serious work.)

I had to go in and enter "beer" just to see what happened. Not one beer. :huh:

Go figure. "Beers" worked. It's in there with the root beer.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've found that with produce all the time - tomatoes = yes. Tomato = no.

Find me an unstarred entry for regular white sugar. I dare you. (I can never remember the magic combination of words that pulls that one up.)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm on board. It's getting worse and worse. I have to filter through so many personal entries and duplicate entries that logging takes forever. I just want my search to turn up official USDA or restaurant entries, and I can make personal entries that are private.

Just so you know, MFP is not exclusive to the U.S. :wink:

I rarely go to restaurants, how would it work for those of us that just want to find normal grub in the UK?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Just so you know, MFP is not exclusive to the U.S. :wink:

I suspect members outside the U.S. are also dissatisfied with the database interface.

And I would gleefully welcome a filter option for other entry sources besides just the USDA.