Intermittent fasting and curing an ED

Options
Has anyone used IF to cure an ED? Like being obsessed with food and being dictated to eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks in between? Making sure you get enough food in you throughout the day even though you're not hungry? Not knowing if you're hungry or just eating because it's about that time you have to eat?

Also, when eating out and you have no idea how to log what you ate, what do you do?

Broke my fast at 1pm Had half a chips ahoy gooey cookie (60cals) decided it wasn't that good. Lol
My first real meal of the day today (3pm) was a crispy pork belly on rice and veggies with a side sauce of fermented fish. Ate 1/3 of it (probably 1oz of pork, 50g rice, 50g mixed veggies) it had sauce on it so I don't know how to account for that and a slice of carrot cake which was sugarfree and a chinese pastry (6pm) which was 125 calories. I've been full the whole day. Not hungry. My window usually finishes at 8pm, finished at 6pm today. I'm not sure if I ate all my calories today but it felt good to be able to stop eating when I wasn't hungry anymore.

Also, I'm on maintenance now after a long restrictive diet (low calorie) and I feel lost as to what to eat, how much to eat so I'm using IF to maintain. Is that a good idea? I don't like the whole snacking throughout day thing that my diet program made me develop. I'm just eating what I feel like eating now, within 1290 calories. I'm hoping I don't gain. I'm not even sure if 1290 is right for me since I've been used to eating lower amounts of calories. So I'm scared to increase calories.

Replies

• khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about IF, but wanted to bump the thread for you. :)

For me, eating about every three hours seems to help prevent major hunger that risks leading to binging. But I know different things work for different people.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    idk, anything that isnt like normal eating seems counter productive
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is pure speculation on my part but I think you're just replacing one dogmatic form of meal timing with another and I wouldn't expect this to help your problem. I would expect it to potentially make it worse.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was so confused when I read the topic...I was thinking the other ED :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Intermittent *kitten* helps that I hear.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    This is pure speculation on my part but I think you're just replacing one dogmatic form of meal timing with another and I wouldn't expect this to help your problem. I would expect it to potentially make it worse.

Agree. In fact, as I understand it, IF is not recommended for those with a disordered relationship to food for that reason. It can make you more fixated on your diet. Not to say that trying to tweak meal timing couldn't be helpful in some situations (I don't know), but I don't think subscribing to any sort of rigid eating plan or set of rules is going to be beneficial. I know personally it made me ridiculously fixated on my diet and I don't have an ED.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think anyone with ED tendencies should be IFing. Just asking for trouble IMO.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Sending you a PM.

ETA: trying to fix an eating disorder with a method of severe restrictive eating is kind of like trying to get out of debt by maxing out your credit cards...it will most likely only make the problem worse.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

me too, I was like wtf? :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've always heard ED + IF = no good. Personally, I love IF but I've also never had an eating disorder. I'm conflicted about what kind of advice to give you. However, I know I can't tell you what to do or stop you from doing IF if that's what you want to do.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When reading on Intermitting fasting ,it says not for people with eating disorder .....if your trying to help your self this not the way to go ..........i knew nothing about it but looked it up one day .and that statement was pretty much second sentence .your choice ,your life .just being straight up with you .take care
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think anyone with ED tendencies should be IFing. Just asking for trouble IMO.

This. If I remember correctly, I read on Leangains's website that people with any type of ED should NOT be going the IF route.
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    IF is my life ...how can I help??
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    almost everything you wrote is NOT IF....educate yourself..your plan is a disaster
  • HittinMyGoals
    HittinMyGoals Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've be doing IF for awhile now with a 4 hour eating window. As far as calorie intake I don't eat any more then I normally would if I was eating 3 meals a day. The idea of IF (IMO) is that in your fasting you are giving your body the chance to burn all the calories you consumed plus extra fat you would in other ways not get to in your time frame without adding to it continually. The 3 hours before my fast ends is when I workout/take supplements. As far as ED's are concerned I would say just make sure you are NOT binge eating in your time window and just eat your required calories.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I have had a severe ED in the past and I agree with this comment.

Replacing one regimented form of eating schedule with another, isn't helping to address the underlying root cause of the issue.

I would seek professional assistance first up and get some guidance on what specific things one would need to focus on to break bad habits and thought patterns etc.
  • andyhat1027
    Options
    I think choccilliman is right. Not quite sure why others haven't mentioned this but I would suggest seeking profession assistance.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Intermittent *kitten* helps that I hear.

HA!

di-YQIO.gif
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply guys! I don't know but IF is kind of making me relaxed with food choices because I know it'll burn fat if I do it. I'm not underweight, I'm 5'3 113lbs. Just terrified to gain all the weight back so it's comforting to know that I can eat what I want within reason of course and not stress about counting calories especially when I eat out. I'm teaching myself how to eat again and what it feels to be hungry. So maybe it's working for me? I don't really feel restricted now and kind of finding my comfort zone through IF and finding my balance. I am thinking about seeking professional assistance. Thank you again!