Recipe/Meal Help!!!

Options
2ChaCha
2ChaCha Posts: 31 Member
I started working on this whole clean eating thing about two weeks ago. It's getting a little easier, but I'm not very creative and I have zero will power, so it's very easy to talk myself into something I shouldn't have. I am having a difficult time finding good recipes online. Here's why: 1. Single mom, not much money, can really only afford (by time and cash) to cook one meal at a time so it has to be something my 5-year-old would eat too (so no Farfalle with Mint Walnut Pesto or Peach and Walnut Barley Salad). 2. I can't afford a lot of the weird ingredients in most of the recipes I'm finding online (all the flax and germ and weird seeds and spirulina and whatever). And 3. (here's where I sound the worst!) I absolutely cannot stand a lot of the most popular health foods, namely tomatoes and cucumbers. I will gag and vomit if I have to eat either of those raw. But most recipes I find call for them extensively and in raw form. And of course my kid isn't crazy about a huge variety of veggies, but he's way skinny and very very healthy, so I don't worry about it. Anybody have any good ideas that support those three caveats? Cheap & easy, simple & normal ingredients, no tomatoes or cucumbers! Ready? GO!!!

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    meatloaf
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1046449-tyler-s-tator-tot-casserole
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza with a thin crust (make it yourself with flour & yeast - super cheap and easy) and lots of good toppings...? I know you don't like many veggies but maybe you like a few that go good with pizza?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

With ketchup on it? Call me crazy but that's heavenly.

2901552471_389258303c.jpg
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

With ketchup on it? Call me crazy but that's heavenly.

2901552471_389258303c.jpg

ketchup mixed with some brown sugar and apple cider vinegar
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Oliver's 15minute meals cookbook. My kids favourite is the lamb Kofta's - not too many ingredients, stuff it into a pita bread and mmmmm....more please :-)
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

*takes fork out of pocket*

OP, The Gracious Pantry is a good clean eating website for recipes.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    We bought a 2lb ham for about $7.00, which lasts our family of three a week or more. Today I ate a thick cut slice of it on toast with mashed avocado, salt and pepper. Frigging delicious, and full of protein and good fats. That ham is great for cubing and putting in with scrambled eggs, vegetable stews, rolled around cheese sticks as a snack, or rolled around asparagus as a main dish, and makes the best sandwiches ever. I like it because it's pretty cheap, and we've gotten tons of different meals out of it. And my toddler loves it!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Also pasta salad. Great for this hot weather, and my kid loves the hell out of it. (I do put cherry tomato halves in it, but it would be just as good without :smile: )

*Chilled cooked pasta (I like the bow ties or tri-color rotini)
    *lightly steamed broccoli florets, bite-sized
    (*Any other vegetable you think you would go good with it)
    *Zesty Italian dressing, enough to lightly coat all the ingredients

That's it! It's delicious.

Oh, and that ham I mentioned before? Would go fantastic cubed in this salad. :wink: