5'3 and weighs 200+

Options
Anyone out there who is 5'3 and weighs 200+ and has some success with weight loss. Needing some inspirational weight loss stories, pics and suggestions.

I was at 206lbs and have since lost 8 lbs, but I feel like I'm losing too little. I see people post their lost of 20+ lbs in 2 months, is that really feasible?

Replies

• 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think slow and steady is the way to go, you are more likely to keep it off. I've lost 20 pounds in about 3 months and at times it seems slow to me, but I average about 1.6 pounds lost a week. I don't think I would want to lose any faster (well I would love to, but it wouldn't be healthy!)

Just remember you are 8 pounds down and think where you would be if you hadn't started losing. I know I was steadily gaining every month, so I look at it as though even if I'm not down as much as I want, at least I'm not gaining! Plus remember you are getting healthier and that's what its really all about.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and it has taken me 7 months to lose 54lbs. It is sloow and I see people losing way faster and its frustrating. Then I take a peek at their diaries and realize that they are making way healthier choices than I am so they deserve the faster loss. While I have greatly improved I still don't make the best best choices so I have to settle for slow loss. Fortunately I have the exercise piece down so that helps :)
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'2 and weigh 217. Have lost 7lbs in total, and it has taken me over 2 months. It is better for it to come off slowly, because then it is a permanent loss. And a loss is a loss, so well done for losing over half a stone already! Keep at it and it will come off eventually.
  • Jsneel
    Jsneel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've lots 85-88lbs depending on time of mo and it has taken awhile to loose the weight. It is a blessing! Remember even if its a pound lost its better than gaining a lb! It took 1.9yrs to loos the last 65+lb. I had to remember I did not gain that weight over night so I need to have patience taking it off! If I want a candy bar I still have it but try to watch calories, I stopped drink soda(diet&reg),I try to eat more healthy now bc our health depends on it!

I would say to log everything even if its a tablespoon of ketchup unless (if it's stuff like vinegar I don't think vinigar has cal so I don't always long that) try to stay around calories recommended for you,I also kickbox and I do that at home using utube! Now I wanna do more grass cutting and house cleaning bc of burning calories!

Hope that helps! try not to get frustrated and disappointed with yourself.
  • remimarie
    Options
    Thank you everybody! These wise words certainly help me stay focused and determined. And you're right, losing 8lbs in 2 months, is better than a lb gain any day.
  • bethjpsu
    bethjpsu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    don't get discouraged- slow and steady - you have had an injury as well so your body takes time to heal and you can't push as hard as you would like.

Have you taken your measurements lately / how are your clothes fitting?- do you have a baseline to compare them to - if not - take your measurements- you could be losing inches not pounds-

Try on a pair of pants from your closet in the next size down- try them on every week / 10 days or when you need encouragement- you will see the progress!!!
  • remimarie
    Options
    Yeah, I've noticed that my underwear is loosely fitting and my current pants aren't so tight and I need to use a belt to hold them up. I do a monthly measurement with my Curves coach, so that's due for tomorrow. I'm anxious and excited about that. I'll get weighed too.

Thanks for input Beth!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    5'3, started at 225 on June 10 and have lost 14 lbs. One of my biggest mental battles is accepting the fact that I don't have to lose 10lbs per month to be successful.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and in the mid-200's. I started April/May, 2011, and it's been a long road - still not done yet. Just have to keep telling myself it's one step at a time, one breath at a time.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with slow and steady. I'm just shy of 5'3" and I started out at 214 as of July 2011 and as of July 2013, I'm 124 lbs. and in maintenance. I never had the huge losses that some people experience - I consistently lost at a rate of 1-2 lbs/week. I lost 75 lbs in the first year and hit my initial goal of 139 lbs, then decided to keep doing what I was doing to see if I could lose a bit more and lost another 15 lbs.over the past year. I'd suggest setting mini goals for yourself along the way as they really helped me with my motivation.
  • nikkilouise0803
    nikkilouise0803 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some similarly sized people on here :)
    I'm 5"2 and weighed 221lb at the start of the year! I'm currently 193lb! It's going slowly - but I'm still loosing - that's my motivation :)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started my journey at 239 and am now in the 170's.
    I lost the first 40 quickly and then moved to slow.
    I now lose in stages like down 10-20 then gain around 5 and repeat.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started out at 206lbs.
    I am now 184.. (Ticker reads a little off. When I joined MFP, I didn't know how much I actually weighed..So I guessed 200)
    Slow and steady is definetly the way to go. Please feel free to look at my profile pics. I post progress pics every Wednesday...

I started posting the pics and measuring myself regularly about 80 days ago. In 74 days I lost 13 pounds and 43 inches off of my frame.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5", and officially started at 220 pounds at the beginning of this year. I didn't see any weight loss until about mid-April, but had lost about 8' off of my waist, hips, and chest by then.

Like others have posted, slow and steady is the key. Notice your body changing, your clothes fitting better, your habits changing - those will all happen. The weight loss itself will come in time.

Good luck!
  • cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am 5' on a good day.
    I weigh 198.2 as of yesterday morning. I started out in April at 224. I have been averaging 1-2 pounds a week. I joind a group on MFP which really motivated me to do their weekly challenges. Now I am not only doing those challenges but I have 2 other challenges I am doing at the same time. At this point I am burning around 400-800 calories daily. I feel great and have noticed a big change in my thinking. Instead of watching tv I will go for a walk or take my grandkids to the park and play with them, not just watch.

Keep moving and you will get to your goal.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hello, 5'3" and started out last month at 210. Even though I just started, it seems frustrating at time because you just want the weight gone but I know I didn't gain all this in a month so as long as I am losing consistently, then that is one bit closer to my goal.

If we hadn't started at all, we'd either be the same weight as when we started or bigger.

So hang in there and stick to your eating and exercise plan, and it will happen!

I was reading your profile and I used to be a professional dancer too years ago! I would love to be thin and fit enough to do some type of dancing again though not professionally.
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4in, I weighed 257lb and I've lost 89lb so far. Slow and steady is definitely the way to do it. Good luck and keep at it!
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weighing in at 249 this morning. I was down to 243 but gaining slowly back, I am struggling.

Good job on the 8lbs, that is awesome. You will get there. As many people on here have told me, you didn't put it on over night, it won't come off overnight.

You can do it, best of luck.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    5'2" and 265, weight is coming off though

don't get discouraged, you can do it if you put your mind to it, also MFP food log and participation here will really help you

friend request sent to you, I am on every day several times a day