I Don't Feel Obese .?!.?!

Options
I've always known that I am over my ideal weight (which is extremely low because of how short I am) but I have never felt obese like the BMI calculators and doctors tell me. That word has become like a 'bad' word and I don't like hearing it or using, especially in reference to myself. So I've decided, it's going to change. I am going to lose the 50 lbs I need to lose to fit inside my ideal weight range so my doctor will no longer be able to look at me and tell me I'm obese.

Good luck to everyone else on their weight loss journey and I hope we can all celebrate our amazing new selves in 2009!

Alinda :drinker:

Replies

• ChangeItUp
    Options
    I've always known that I am over my ideal weight (which is extremely low because of how short I am) but I have never felt obese like the BMI calculators and doctors tell me. That word has become like a 'bad' word and I don't like hearing it or using, especially in reference to myself. So I've decided, it's going to change. I am going to lose the 50 lbs I need to lose to fit inside my ideal weight range so my doctor will no longer be able to look at me and tell me I'm obese.

Good luck to everyone else on their weight loss journey and I hope we can all celebrate our amazing new selves in 2009!

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Welcome Alinda and good luck with your goals! Stick to them, and you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    My doctor has been referring to me as 'obese' and telling me that I need to lose massive amounts of weight for as long as I can remember! At 19 (when I weighed 190lbs at 5'11 and she told me she'd like to see me lose 60lbs) I thought she was insane! And, come to think of it, she probably was. But now I'm beginning to see it creep up on me. The weight doesn't seem to come off nearly as easily as it goes on. So, it's time for a change! The important thing, at least for me, is to feel healthy.

I'm sure that with the help of this site and a little motivation you will succeed! Good luck to you!
  • ChangeItUp
    Options
    Thank you Lauryn1981 and congratulations on losing 29 lbs. You Rock!
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I think you will like it here. Everyone is soooo great. :flowerforyou:
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    At 19 (when I weighed 190lbs at 5'11 and she told me she'd like to see me lose 60lbs) I thought she was insane! And, come to think of it, she probably was.

God, yes, she was insane. 130 is lower than my ideal weight, and I'm 5'1".
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Welcome, Alinda! You have found a great place to be... so much support and encouragement!

Good luck! :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif

Please be aware though that BMI numbers are notoriously off--particularly with women! As I read on one site--we have those 2 "blobs" of mostly fatty tissue on our bodies that are never accounted for in BMI calculations.

BMI does not take gender into account--it does not take age into account--and it does not take muscle into account--it doesn't take body frame size into account. That's the problem with BMI--there is too much that it doesn't account for.

Not to say that you might not need to lose weight, but look at other factors other than your BMI to determine HOW much weight you wish to lose.

Of particular interest to you is this quote, found in the last linked article:
    "The overlying issue is the same criteria for BMI are used across the board,” said Joshua Ode,
    a Ph.D. student in the MSU Department of Kinesiology and an assistant professor of inesiology
    at Saginaw Valley. “Whether you’re an athlete or a 75-year-old man, all the same cut points are used.”

“BMI should be used cautiously when classifying fatness, especially among college-age people,” said Jim Pivarnik, an MSU professor of kinesiology and epidemiology. “It really doesn’t do a good job of saying how fat a person really is.”

The problem, especially among younger people and athletes, is that BMI does not distinguish between body fat and muscle mass, said Ode."
    Here's a few links you can check out yourself:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/bmi3.htm

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-accurate-body-mass-index-bmi

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070305202535.htm
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Welcome. I have only been here a couple of weeks now, but I think this is a great place for you to be. There are so many wonderful ways to learn on things to do to help you in your goal.
    And I know what you mean about the weight and obese thing. I know I am chunky, but I would never say obese, but acording to my scale, I am. I am only 5'3" but my daughter is 5'1" and it is so hard for her. I think we should change that word to. They change up so many other things at random, what ever happened to full figured? Or even Curvey? I like the last one. We are just curvey!
    Welcome again and good luck!
    SM
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options

I got that way toward my last few years in the military. The problem started when I got a few pounds over my max weight, and they caught me several times, then they would have to tape me and it was always fine.
    A few of the guys in my shop would always get busted for the same thing, but they were huge body builders. I was just short and when I put on muscle it looks big and not always right, so I don't push the weights that hard because it doesn't take much for me. I go for the tone-ing and cardio now.
    I always get a kick when I go to a trainer, because they are always surprised at how strong I am and just how much weight I can push. They never believe me either...
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i think if you are out to make yourself feel healthy... and when you are happy with yourself.. thats the weight goal for you.. yes .. im 5 1.. but i have to look at the body muscle i have... the boob weight.. which has been large all my life.. so what you might think is 135.. on me its possible that im 157.. because of muscle... im going UNTIL i feel good.. and comfortable.. not what ppl tell me....... i hope this helps you.... BEST OF LUCK .. AND WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!!