I Love Fat :(

Options

Replies

• ssmithbowman
    Options
    fat does get a very bad rap. I am a 'health care professional' too and I do think some people worry too little, but not the person who is eating (natural) peanut butter, avocado, hummus, olive oil, etc. for fat. Just look up that recent study on the Mediterranean diet, which is high in fat, but also high in omega-3 (fish), omega-6 (olive oil), and nuts (omega 6). Those people have the BEST outcomes possible and totally opposite of the stupidly touted "AMA" and "AHA" diets here that are high-carb-low-fat. So eat your fat and let it fill you up and try to worry more about what KIND of fat you are eating (butter, cottage cheese; probably not as good a choice as olive oil or avocado). If you are really worried about the eggs, switch to egg whites, but there is NO EVIDENCE that too much dietary cholesterol actually makes your cholesterol worse in the long run. Saturated fat is more evil than dietary cholesterol. Your body actually MAKES cholesterol when it doesn't have enough.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over on fat. Might not be the healthiest (I can't say they're all good fats) but it hasn't hindered me so far. ~shrug~
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    wanted to also mention that you probably should be avoiding fried foods. That is one of the worst kinds of fats. There is some interesting research regarding omega3:omega6 ratios in diets and improving outcomes, and trying to increase your omega 3 ratio is beneficial. Well, fish is great for that, EXCEPT for when you fry it -_-. Just put a dab (teaspoon!) of olive oil on it and put it in the oven! Don't bread and fry it!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    About two months ago, I noticed that I was over my allotted fat intake almost every day. For things like coconut oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados.

After looking and looking, I found a site called marksdailyapple.com.

I really suggest you take a look! I'm a nurse, so I love my science and well-done research.

This guy supports all his statements with good research.

Now, about 65% of my calories every day are from delicious, high-quality fats, including grass-fed beef and butter (YUM). And the scale is on the way back down again.

Thank you for the info! I'll definitely check it out.
    I know people who have had fantastic weight loss results on high-fat diets - my goal isn't a low fat diet for weight loss purposes, but for bodybuilding purposes. I can't get adequate amounts of protein (I'm aiming for ~130g/day) on 20% of my caloric intake. What ended up happening intially was I pushed myself into a low-carb diet without realizing, because it was the easiest way to fit everything in. Also not great.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Try cooking your vegetables in the same pan as some higher fat meat - that will get you that tasty grease coating without having to add additional sources of it. Consider switching to chicken thighs instead of those dry annoying chicken breasts. Other high-protein things that aren't quinoa (I avoid it too for financial and ethical reasons) include beans, seeds, tofu/soy, and seitan (wheat protein).

That is a fantastic idea and thanks for the food suggestions. I'm going to try to incorporate some new protein sources into my diet.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    30% protein is probably sufficient.

I personally believe fat is the least important macro to control, as long as you get enough and don't go over your calories it doesn't matter that much how much you get. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Fat is delicious and very satiating and in some senses very good for you, as long as you stay away from that trans fat garbage.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    30% protein is probably sufficient.

I personally believe fat is the least important macro to control, as long as you get enough and don't go over your calories it doesn't matter that much how much you get. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Fat is delicious and very satiating and in some senses very good for you, as long as you stay away from that trans fat garbage.

QFT.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    About two months ago, I noticed that I was over my allotted fat intake almost every day. For things like coconut oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados.

I really suggest you take a look! I'm a nurse, so I love my science and well-done research.

Now, about 65% of my calories every day are from delicious, high-quality fats, including grass-fed beef and butter (YUM). And the scale is on the way back down again.

Hmmm, not sure if you're serious or not. Acg and well researched don't often go together

There fixed that for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Hmmm, not sure if you're serious or not. Acg and well researched don't often go together

There fixed that for you.

Lol, what about Sisson's Cho curve for weightloss that he just made up and contradicts himself within the curve? Or by his own admission, adds "poisons" to his protein powder he sells?
  • kosman8807
    kosman8807 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding edemame to your meals at least once a day. 1 cup of that has 17 g of protein and it also has good fats. Hope that helps. I buy the frozen kind and just steam them.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    How about just egg whites? you could make veggie omelettes (use frylight) with cottage cheese perhaps?
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Hmmm, not sure if you're serious or not. Sisson and well researched don't often go together

Acg67: I feel that if I run a drum stick (as in the instrument) across your abs and chest you would sound like an xylophone
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Watch the documentary 'Fat Head' for proof. This guy was eating 55% of his calories from fat and his BF% went down over time.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of salmon, it satisfies my fat cravings and its all good fats. You don't need to use oil to cook it you can poach or microwave it instead
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I noticed this same issue in my food diary, so I have tried to incorporate more high protein/low fat snacks in my diet. My go-tos are: edamame, nonfat greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, and beef jerky.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat or even a high fat diet. It just makes calorically dense items, keep an eye on cals.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Oops keyboard glitch.

I'd struggle with 130g of protein, for sure. I try to get to around 110, and that's hard. For me it means protein at every meal - protein powder mixed with milk (and fruit) for breakfast, and then chicken, turkey, pork, or fish at lunch and dinner. There are easy ways to get around the dry meat issue - use vinegars instead of oils, flavor with citrus juice, get an oil sprayer like a Misto that you put an oil you choose in and very, very lightly spritz your food. PM me if you want a few recipes.

I get that you're trying to hit a number with the protein and that you want to drop your fat level down so you can still eat the carbs you feel you need for energy, all while staying at a calorie goal, but maybe you need to talk with your trainer about your protein goal being a bit unrealistic for you and the way you like to eat. I would be miserable eating at that ratio, personally.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of salmon, it satisfies my fat cravings and its all good fats. You don't need to use oil to cook it you can poach or microwave it instead

Loving it, until I got to the part about microwaving fish. Then I died a little inside.

Please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't microwave your fish to cook it. Especially not a lovely piece of salmon. A tsp of olive oil just dabbed in the bottom of a Pyrex and then dabbed on top of a few ounce portion of fish and then thrown in the oven (NOT for too long) with a bit of salt and dill or dijon mustard or lemon...please, just don't nuke it in the death box. It's a crime against fish-manity.

Anyway - OP, I get where you're coming from, but instead of worrying about your fat grams, why not worry about your protein grams? If your goal is to get to a specific amount of protein, then focus on that and let the fat/carbs chips fall where they may. Pre-plan/log your day with all of your protein sources in order to reach your protein goal, then fill in around it. Might make it easier when you can say "ok, I've reached 120g of protein and used up 32g of fat to do it [or whatever, pulling that out of my behind], now I've got X grams of carbs and X grams of fat to make up the rest of my day."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Loving it, until I got to the part about microwaving fish. Then I died a little inside.

Please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't microwave your fish to cook it. Especially not a lovely piece of salmon. A tsp of olive oil just dabbed in the bottom of a Pyrex and then dabbed on top of a few ounce portion of fish and then thrown in the oven (NOT for too long) with a bit of salt and dill or dijon mustard or lemon...please, just don't nuke it in the death box. It's a crime against fish-manity.

Anyway - OP, I get where you're coming from, but instead of worrying about your fat grams, why not worry about your protein grams? If your goal is to get to a specific amount of protein, then focus on that and let the fat/carbs chips fall where they may. Pre-plan/log your day with all of your protein sources in order to reach your protein goal, then fill in around it. Might make it easier when you can say "ok, I've reached 120g of protein and used up 32g of fat to do it [or whatever, pulling that out of my behind], now I've got X grams of carbs and X grams of fat to make up the rest of my day."

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/microwaved-tilapia/
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I cook my salmon in red palm or coconut oil.