Headaches...

Options
I have been getting slight headaches along with being light headed and dizzy immediately after a workout. I have been increasing my calories, eating 80-100g of protein (I have 100-125lbs of lean muscle mass according to different calculators), and drinking plenty of water throughout my days.

Can you guys think of something that I might be missing in my diet that is causing this?

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. Mine was low blood-sugar. I fixed it by eating a piece of fruit and cheese or similar protein/simple carb combination before I work out.
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    Sorry i can't help but would like to add, ME too!
    I think its because I am unfit and the weather here in UK has been very hot and humid while I've been exercising.
    I am hoping as I get fitter the head aches will go.
    If anyone can add thoughts to this topic please do.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread....Just joined in as I'm the same, hope you don't mind OP.
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It could be so many different things. Low blood sugar, holding your breath while lifting, bad posture, etc. What is your routine pre and post workout look like?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot this time of year. It's sinus pressure season here. I am a huge sinus sufferer. I find that even if I don't notice that I'm having sinus pressure yet, certain types of exercise will exacerbate it. Especially anything that involves bending over, like Yoga, or deadlifts, or even just bending down to get my weights. I've dealt with my sinuses my whole life, so for me, it's not a surprise. I just make sure that I take all my allergy and sinus meds before I work out, and I try to avoid bending. But still, sometimes even just straight cardio will trigger that response for me.

I don't know if that applies for you at all or not. But it's something that most people don't tend to think about.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and hydrate.

Low blood pressure (lack of fluid) can make you feel that way, too.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    are you logging everything you eat? Because you've been waaaaaaaaay under calories for several days.

lightheaded, dizzy and headache after a workout is most likely from low blood sugar - the usual cause of that is not eating enough generally, or not having enough carbs in your system.

if your food diary reflects what you've actually been eating... you need to eat a LOT more!! You calorie goal is a goal you're supposed to hit; being massively under is not hitting your goal, it's missing by a long way. Eating too little won't do you any favours from a health point of view, and it's likely to cause fast weight loss initially (a lot of which is water and glycogen rather than fat) followed by a plateau. If this is all you've been eating, then that's the cause of the lightheadedness, dizzyness and headaches after working out., Eating properly will fix it.

If you have actually been eating a lot more, and just forgetting to log it, then look at whether you're getting enough of the right kinds of carbohydrates, i.e. those that give a sustained energy release such as whole grains and whole fruit. You don't have to cut out all other kinds of carbs (I'm not a food puritan at all) but you do need to ensure you're feeding yourself enough of what your body needs, which includes protein, good quality fats, good quality carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water... and also hitting your calorie targets. Calories are a unit of energy, under eating = not giving your body enough energy to function properly.
  • ELVISDEAN
    Options
    yup..carb up
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet it's low blood sugar or the way you're breathing. I'm one of those who naturally holds their breath when lifting and some during some workouts. I had to train myself to breathe properly, otherwise I get the same results. And, like another poster mentioned, eat a banana or something before working out. I like something light, either an apple or a glass of V8 Fusion Smoothie or protein shake. Makes a huge difference!
    And don't forget water, water, water!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Replying to the posts above: No, I don't mind at all if you hop on the train :) You didn't hijack the post! No worries :)

It could be a low blood sugar thing... that's been something I've wondered for years about myself. But my thyroid and blood levels seemed to be in check last year when I had them checked for the first and only time.

/
    are you logging everything you eat? Because you've been waaaaaaaaay under calories for several days.

lightheaded, dizzy and headache after a workout is most likely from low blood sugar - the usual cause of that is not eating enough generally, or not having enough carbs in your system.

if your food diary reflects what you've actually been eating... you need to eat a LOT more!! You calorie goal is a goal you're supposed to hit; being massively under is not hitting your goal, it's missing by a long way. Eating too little won't do you any favours from a health point of view, and it's likely to cause fast weight loss initially (a lot of which is water and glycogen rather than fat) followed by a plateau. If this is all you've been eating, then that's the cause of the lightheadedness, dizzyness and headaches after working out., Eating properly will fix it.

If you have actually been eating a lot more, and just forgetting to log it, then look at whether you're getting enough of the right kinds of carbohydrates, i.e. those that give a sustained energy release such as whole grains and whole fruit. You don't have to cut out all other kinds of carbs (I'm not a food puritan at all) but you do need to ensure you're feeding yourself enough of what your body needs, which includes protein, good quality fats, good quality carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water... and also hitting your calorie targets. Calories are a unit of energy, under eating = not giving your body enough energy to function properly.

No, I have not been logging everything that I eat! I can see why it seems that way. The reason for that is because first, I've recently upped my calories to 2000. That isn't what MFP had me eating. So it used to be 1200 and I would eat back my exercise calories. So probably around 1500 is what I was eating. As for the past few days, I allow myself to go out to eat with the boys on Fridays (which is nearly impossible to log what we eat, so I just don't).

I start out my breakfasts with 1 slice bacon, 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 2 tbsp of 4% fat cottage cheese, 1 slice whole wheat toast with 2 tbsp of NUTrition peanut butter.

I'm still trying to get my meals to be up to 2000 calories... but they mostly include salmon, tilapia, shrimp, chicken breast, ground turkey breast + vegetable + fat.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I'm really glad to hear that :) Your diary had me a bit worried for a minute!!

You didn't list anything that contains much carbs... are you eating enough carbs? You listed some great protein foods and healthy fats, but just the wholemeal toast for carbs... if you're not getting enough carbs, then that could cause the symptoms you list after your workouts. If this is the case, upping the amount of carbs you eat at breakfast and in the meal(s) before your workout may help to resolve this. Also a post-workout meal with some carbs in may help too, personally I find fruit is good for that.

though I appreciate that you just gave me a quick list so this may not be the issue if you are eating carbs then just you didn't put them in your list... lol... it's hard to answer these questions without seeing all of what you're eating. :flowerforyou:
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I'm really glad to hear that :) Your diary had me a bit worried for a minute!!

You didn't list anything that contains much carbs... are you eating enough carbs? You listed some great protein foods and healthy fats, but just the wholemeal toast for carbs... if you're not getting enough carbs, then that could cause the symptoms you list after your workouts. If this is the case, upping the amount of carbs you eat at breakfast and in the meal(s) before your workout may help to resolve this. Also a post-workout meal with some carbs in may help too, personally I find fruit is good for that.

though I appreciate that you just gave me a quick list so this may not be the issue if you are eating carbs then just you didn't put them in your list... lol... it's hard to answer these questions without seeing all of what you're eating. :flowerforyou:

I hear ya! I usually have strawberries, bananas and grapes available always... but I ran out the other day and haven't made it to the store. Would that be enough, you think? If so, then I'll head to the store right after my workout here in a bit :)
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Also, when I have shrimp (which is at least 4 times/week), I like to have it with whole grain rotini pasta. I usually eat a little more than a serving. Does that help? LOL
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    I get that a lot this time of year. It's sinus pressure season here. I am a huge sinus sufferer. I find that even if I don't notice that I'm having sinus pressure yet, certain types of exercise will exacerbate it. Especially anything that involves bending over, like Yoga, or deadlifts, or even just bending down to get my weights. I've dealt with my sinuses my whole life, so for me, it's not a surprise. I just make sure that I take all my allergy and sinus meds before I work out, and I try to avoid bending. But still, sometimes even just straight cardio will trigger that response for me.

I don't know if that applies for you at all or not. But it's something that most people don't tend to think about.

Thanks for this post.
    I think this may be my problem, in fact today I took two sinus pills after my work out.
    I also know I need to breath better too while working out, I'll try concentrating on that too. Thanks
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    it's really hard to say exactly how much carbohydrate you need, because it depends on your energy levels and how you feel during and after workouts. So maybe focus on getting more in the meals before your workout and directly after, and see if that stops the dizziness etc. It can take trial and error to find out how much of some things, like carbs and calories, your body needs, especially if you're trying to lose fat. Tracking everything carefully is important, so you can be sure to get enough protein, carbs and healthy fat, and vitamins minerals and fibre, without going over you calorie goal. You're making great food choices anyway sounds like you're getting plenty of nutrients, they all sound delicious too. I love shrimp. So it's possibly just a matter of ensuring you have enough carbs to fuel your workouts.

If that doesn't fix it then check with a doctor, as there are other possible causes of dizziness etc. But the most common reason is not enough calories and/or carbs.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It could be a low blood sugar thing... that's been something I've wondered for years about myself. But my thyroid and blood levels seemed to be in check last year when I had them checked for the first and only time.

Low blood sugar can come and go. Sometimes it's just a dietary thing. Occasional drops caused by strenuous exercise are not necessarily something that would show up on bloodwork.

ETA: Good luck! And tell us how you do! :flowerforyou:
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good be low blood pressure. Make sure you're getting enough sodium. And checking with a doctor couldn't hurt either.
  • Elles14
    Elles14 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have headaches every day,not just when or after running,ect. part of it is dehydration but even when I drink plenty of water I get bad headaches/migraines.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Wellllllllllllll here's an update... I've been doing my best to carb up, especially before a workout. Had a big bowl of pasta last night (40-50 grams of carbs) about 1.5-2 hours before my workout last night... and I still crashed. I was scared that I was going to faint at the gym with nobody around. So now I'm shooting for a chance that it's blood sugar.... I had almost a 600-calorie breakfast this morning including a large banana... I'm still feeling kinda dizzy right now.

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for next Wednesday.. it's the earliest I can get in. I told them I don't care if they think I'm a hypochondriac, I wanted my blood sugar tested, tested for diabetes, iron deficiency... the whole shebang.

So in the meantime, I would really love to get a full workout in without worrying about falling over lol. My sister suggested taking orange juice with me (I can't eat tootsie rolls or anything like that because my jaw locks easily and makes it difficult... and frankly, it makes me look funny trying to eat them lol). I told her that I would do that, but I'm fairly positive that people will think I'm going for brunch! :)