so close to just giving up!

Options
124»

Replies

• LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    @divinenanny my goal is actually 1600. I know I'm not even getting close to that. But what do I do when I'm stuffed and really do not want more food? I do tend to skip meals on the weekend just cause breakfast and lunch are usually the same meal. And if I go out, I miss supper. *sighs*. Eating when I'm not hungry just sounds counter productive
    \

Your ticker says you're trying to drop 160lbs. You're capable of eating more than 600+ calories in a day (truthfully, anyone is capable of eating more than 600 calories a day).

You don't have to eat all of your calories at once. Eat them spread throughout the day. Eat a meal. Eat a snack. Eat another meal a few hours later. You can absolutely take how many calories you should eat in a day, divide them out into several meals, and eat them without having to feel overstuffed at any specific time.

Also, accurately count what you're eating. Make sure your volumes and weights accurately reflect what you're eating. It's really easy to underestimate how much we're eating. (For instance what are those meals cooked in? It's easy to skip the oils used for cooking or in salad dressings). Everything counts. Being careful with your logging can make a great deal of difference in how many calories show up in your diary.

Ultimately starving yourself will only sabotage your long term diet goals (and whether you 'feel' it or not, having days where you're eating less than 700 calories is starving your body).

Consistency and accuracy will help the most and think in long term goals rather than going for a low calorie count for a single day.
  • echelonokie
    Options
    @LAW_714 Where did I say I wasn't able to eat 600 calories in a day? Did I do a typo somewhere?

As far as starving myself, that is the thing! I do not FEEL hungry. I'm not consciously trying to stay under 700 or whatever. It's just that I get full and don't wanna eat more.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Okay, if you focus on getting regular exercise, log your calorie intake to ensure you continue to not go *over* your allowance, and obsess less about your actual weight, you will get there.

Healthy choices with food, eat little and often (good nutritionally valuable foods, not empty calories), and continued exercise will make you FEEL better in the long run.

Pay attention to how you feel. Don't focus too much on the scale. There will be many weeks when the scale tells you nothing but your sense of health and well being will confirm you are making the right choices.

Don't get down hearted. It feels like so much work till it 'clicks' then you'll see you have got it right.
  • kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories your body will assume you are trying to starve yourself and it will hold on to absolutely everything and you will gain. Make sure you are actually eating enough, especially if you are exercising. Splurge and have a cheeseburger or something, and you might see a drop in weight. That's what happened to me anyway. Good luck and keep going, don't give up.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    @LAW_714 Where did I say I wasn't able to eat 600 calories in a day? Did I do a typo somewhere?

As far as starving myself, that is the thing! I do not FEEL hungry. I'm not consciously trying to stay under 700 or whatever. It's just that I get full and don't wanna eat more.

You have days logged in with less than 700 calories. So whether or not it's your 'goal,' that's what your diary is listing, so there are two problematic issues: you aren't losing weight and you are listing a very low calorie intake.

If you are eating 700 calories and not losing weight there is a problem somewhere. There may be a metabolic issue at play. Perhaps you should see a doctor.

If you are not hungry enough to eat more than 700 calories in a day, there's a problem. There may be a medical issue. Perhaps you should see a doctor.

If there is no physical or metabolic problem involved, then are you sure that calories are accurately logged? (There was a girl on here a few weeks ago complaining about eating 700 calories and not losing weight until someone showed her that she had to log the actual grams, cups, and/or oz or what she was eating. When she did that, she saw that her calories were not 700 calories).

If there is no physical problem and your log is accurate, then you have to investigate whether you're eating enough for your body and exercise goals, in which case -- eat more. Yes, you're capable of eating more than 700 calories. Anyone is. 2tbs of organic peanut butter is 210 calories. 2 Tbs of almond butter is over 200 calories as well. That's a lot of calories in very small package, even 'not hungry' you can eat that. A single Panera Bread Cobb Salad for dinner is 580 calories or one small orange smoothie at Smoothie King is 460 calories. You can find options to meet your calorie needs... unless you are happy eating only 700 calories.

If you are content eating 700 calories, then by all means continue to do so. Your body needs more, but you appear to resist suggestions that you could eat more. Unless there's some metabolic issue, that level of intake will cause weight loss eventually. It has to. It's less than your body needs to function. Although, since you started the thread talking about giving up, I'm asking what exactly does that entail? I'm guessing that it would entail eating more, in which case, give yourself a break, that's what everyone is saying to do (only without giving up) -- eat more.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    @divinenanny my goal is actually 1600. I know I'm not even getting close to that. But what do I do when I'm stuffed and really do not want more food? I do tend to skip meals on the weekend just cause breakfast and lunch are usually the same meal. And if I go out, I miss supper. *sighs*. Eating when I'm not hungry just sounds counter productive
    What did you eat to get overweight?
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    To the OP- HOW are you watching your calories? I ask this because I came to a huge realization yesterday: I wasn't measuring/weighing a damn thing, and i was waaaaaaayyyyyyy off. For example, i'd take a tablespoon of cream cheese...i weighed it today, and my spoons must be oversized, cause i was taking at least 3 tbsps.
  • SunshineGirl75P
    SunshineGirl75P Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @__Di__ Okay, your comment confuses me even more than I've been lol. Are you saying that because I'm a water drinker (and yes, I do drink a lot of water usually), that I need to have MORE salt in my diet?

I don't salt anything, in fact I'm not even a fan of the taste, tho I'll pepper something until it's black. Any sodium I'm getting it's what's already in my food.

It depends on how much you are drinking, if you are drinking a lot, you dilute the sodium in your body. Looking at your diary, your sodium levels are sometimes in the minus, that is very dangerous.

As a guide, the very MINIMUM you need to function is 400.

People look on sodium as the devil incarnate, but it is not and is absolutely necessary for good health, especially if you exercise a lot.

She is in the minus because she is going over the recommended amount of sodium, some of this wait gain is going to be water weight!

OP - As Maegmez said, your sodium levels are fine. The number at the bottom is what you have left, so if it is -red you are over the recommended amount. The person who thought you were low was looking at it backwards.

My concern would be that I see a lot of pre-prepared foods. These have a lot of sodium and other chemicals that can affect weight loss. I know I cannot eat many cereals (like Special K) because they hava high fructose corn syrup. Since my body cannot process HFCS well, I have to limit/cut out foods that contain it. The same goes for MSG. Are you able to add more whole foods to your diet, and maybe some of the calorie dense, healthy ones as mentioned by others?

I do have one more suggestion to offer. I had been unable to lose for a couple months. I was staying within my calories and exercising about 3X week. I know how frustrating it is to go up and down the same 5 lbs! At my wits end I decided to replace one meal a day with a protien shake. I use "Whey to Go" vanilla. I mixed it with almond milk, coffee, and carob for a mocha; Naked Berry Blast, frozen berries, and almond milk for berries and cream; and almond milk, a bit of OJ, and carrot juice for an orange julius type. I sweetened them with Truvia or Agave. I lost 4.5 pounds last week. Looking over my old logs I realized I had not been adding enough protien and the shake gave me the boost I needed.

Take some time to read through the suggestions that seem doable to you and try one or two for the next week or so. If it doesnt help, try something else. But please, DON'T GIVE UP - YOU CAN DO IT!
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Keep on going and try not to give up. Weighing weekly got too discouraging for me...perhaps weighing only every 4 weeks would be a consideration? I see a drop in weight anyway at that interval. Good luck and you can do it. :smile:
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @__Di__ Okay, your comment confuses me even more than I've been lol. Are you saying that because I'm a water drinker (and yes, I do drink a lot of water usually), that I need to have MORE salt in my diet?

I don't salt anything, in fact I'm not even a fan of the taste, tho I'll pepper something until it's black. Any sodium I'm getting it's what's already in my food.

It depends on how much you are drinking, if you are drinking a lot, you dilute the sodium in your body. Looking at your diary, your sodium levels are sometimes in the minus, that is very dangerous.

As a guide, the very MINIMUM you need to function is 400.

People look on sodium as the devil incarnate, but it is not and is absolutely necessary for good health, especially if you exercise a lot.

What do you mean by her sodium is in the minus? It looked to me like it was often over the 2500mg target. That is more likely to be causing water retention due to excess sodium than anything else. I would actually recommend, OP, that you cut back a tad on the sodium and make sure you are getting enough potassium every day. Some of us are extremely sensitive to electrolyte imbalance and it can cause water retention.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think the actual calories burned from Tae Bo may be lower then what you have in your exercise diary.