Moved from 1200 calories to 1700 calories

Options
I am actually losing weight quicker now that I made the change. Also I have eaten enough to keep me satisfied for the day and having no hunger pangs. Who knew eating more could make you lose more haha.

Replies

• thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When you aren't starving yourself you will lose more weight. 1200 may have been too low for your BMR perhaps.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Why is this? Wouldnt it make more sense that the less you consume the greater calorie def you have and therefore the greater amount of weight will be lost?

I'm confused
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I ate at 1200 calories, but only for a few weeks; by the 3rd week I was actually starting to gain. Went up to 1400, started losing then stopped. Repeat at 1500, 1600, and 1800. I now eat 2000 calories on average and am losing regularly. I love not being hungry, not worrying about not having enough calories, not worrying about depriving myself, and STILL losing :-D
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Why is this? Wouldnt it make more sense that the less you consume the greater calorie def you have and therefore the greater amount of weight will be lost?

I'm confused

If you eat too little, your body protects itself and slows down the metabolism, slowing down or even stopping weight loss.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options

I'm confused

And this is exactly why people give up on losing weight because they think they have to starve themselves in order to lose. No one will continue a diet plan when they are starving and cranky.
  • ChrisLole24
    ChrisLole24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely makes the day go by easier. At 1200 calories I was starving by the night but now I am feeling great with the additional 500. I still don't eat my exercise calories back, but may start. Still deciding on that one.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I'm confused

Sometimes when you don't eat enough your body thinks you're trying to starve it so hold on to the weight.

OP men should never eat that low unless told to by a doctor and is being closely monitored. It's not even enough for the majority of women. I'm older, short and female and my doctor and exercise psychologist both said it's way too low for me.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    I am honestly just curious. I'm new to this. Since stopping over-eating and junk food I have been making my meals and making better options. I've been eating about 1200 - 1500 cals a day, and thats much less than MFP recommends but I'm very very full. Just wondering if I should be forcing myself to eat more?
  • ChrisLole24
    ChrisLole24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will be moving my goal up to 1900 =)
    I have learned so much from this awesome community!
  • christarae1
    christarae1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good for you for listening to your body!! Most people make the mistake and stick with the least amount of calories and struggle!! Glad to hear your losing and that your not feeling hungry!! Keep it up! :)
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was originally at 1500 and that felt SO restrictive, and once I upped it to 1900 I rarely meet that number but feel completely satisfied!
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am honestly just curious. I'm new to this. Since stopping over-eating and junk food I have been making my meals and making better options. I've been eating about 1200 - 1500 cals a day, and thats much less than MFP recommends but I'm very very full. Just wondering if I should be forcing myself to eat more?

If you are feeling satisfied and losing weight, then by all means, keep doing what you are doing!
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Ya, I'm really not trying to starve myself. I just want to do whats best for my body, and if I should be eating more I just want to know lol. I feel good, and I've lost 14 lbs over the past 3 weeks so maybe its okay?
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had a health adviser at the gym I go to tell me the same thing. I went from 1200 to 1600 calories, we'll see how it goes, this is my first week.

She said if I eat at 1200 my body will think that's all it needs to survive and slow down to that.

I'm eating fairly clean, lots of fruits and veggies. She also upped my protein.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Here is a calculator to work out what you really should be eating. Make sure you put in the CORRECT activity level or don't bother doing it.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

and to learn more read this too :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ya, I'm really not trying to starve myself. I just want to do whats best for my body, and if I should be eating more I just want to know lol. I feel good, and I've lost 14 lbs over the past 3 weeks so maybe its okay?

The same thing is happening to me!. i need to eat more calories. I am trying to incorporate at least 300-400 additional calories per day.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Here is a calculator to work out what you really should be eating. Make sure you put in the CORRECT activity level or don't bother doing it.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Unfortunately, this also puts me at 1200 for eating. Guess I'm glad I haven't felt like I'm starving--just having to make smart decisions!
  • mcwoods81
    Options
    Hi i am new :)

I have been calculated as needing only 1200 to lose weight, however i started yesterday and by night time I was starving i mean really hungary and I ended up eating loads and having a few beers which brought my total intake up to 1814 - I have decided to try and eat smaller meals to stick to the 1200. When I checked the link (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.htm) it came out with a figure of 1757 - I am really confused now any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Might not all be fat that you're losing. Maybe around 1200 your body was holding on to more water weight.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    When you aren't starving yourself you will lose more weight. 1200 may have been too low for your BMR perhaps.

People just don't seem to get this