Managing Depression + Weightloss- How do you do it?

Options
Hey there!
I'm currently looking for people who share the same interests/ troubles that I am during their weight loss journey.
I have suffered with depression from the age of 8 and was put on medication for it at 12 years old- since then I've been on and off various meds for anxiety and depression and been to counselling and through a therapy program.
I've been off my medication for almost a year, and have only had two major relapses in that time.
The problem is, for the last month I've really struggled to fend it off, my panic attacks are coming back- and whilst I'm making it through it isn't easy when I'm starting to feel totally out of control.
I'm trying to take it easy on myself, but I want to continue to be a healthier happier person, and that means eating well and being active still (and hopefully losing some weight in the meantime!)
Is anyone else going through something similar? How do you make things work for you?
Please feel free to add me :)

Replies

• shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I suffered with depression for a bit in the pass but I learned to turn it over to God. If you build a relationship with Him and read the bible daily you will build some confidence and learn to overcome depression. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.2 Timothy 1:7.

Here are some scriptures you can read every time you get depressed:

Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down (depression), but a good word cheers it up. Proverbs 12:25

Deuteronomy 31:8 – The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 – Anyone who is among the living has hope.

Psalms 9:9 – The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Psalm 27:14 - Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Psalm 31:22,24 – You heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help… Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Psalm 34:18, 19 – The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (19) A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.

Just know that meds can not heal you but God can. Write 1 or 2 scriptures down and read them when you get depressed. I hope this helps. Sorry I don't do pity parties I like to overcome and win!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    hey chick! I know exactly what u are going through, I suffer from panic attacks, and its usually triggered by my appearance and going out in public.. but heres the good news about excerise and the right foods, they trigger happy endorphins the fend off depression! Excersie is a mood uplifter!! the more i began to workout , the happier I felt. I hope this helps!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    wow..what a difficult challenge. I can understand why you want to be off meds ..and I can also see why you may need them.

I wonder if you found a great holistic doctor and tried to work with them to find a natural healthy overall program to tackle all your health goals.. Someone who sees and treats "all" of you: .the depression, the anxiety, and the weight issue. Most times medical doctors just prescribe meds to mask one problem they specialize in and don't look at the person as a whole.

I wish you well.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I'm currently looking for people who share the same interests/ troubles that I am during their weight loss journey.
    I have suffered with depression from the age of 8 and was put on medication for it at 12 years old- since then I've been on and off various meds for anxiety and depression and been to counselling and through a therapy program.
    I've been off my medication for almost a year, and have only had two major relapses in that time.
    The problem is, for the last month I've really struggled to fend it off, my panic attacks are coming back- and whilst I'm making it through it isn't easy when I'm starting to feel totally out of control.
    I'm trying to take it easy on myself, but I want to continue to be a healthier happier person, and that means eating well and being active still (and hopefully losing some weight in the meantime!)
    Is anyone else going through something similar? How do you make things work for you?
    Please feel free to add me :)

I have struggled with depression since middle school ( 12ish?) but wasn't diagnosed until age 17 or 18. I did go on medication for 6 months or so at a time several times, but haven't been medicated in probably 7-10 years now.

What helps me the most is cardio. When things happen that could throw me into a depression ( like my mentally ill son almost getting expelled from school), I go to the gym and really give it 110%. I literally felt like my head was going to explode that day, so I went to the gym and ran like zombies were chasing me for 30-45 minutes. When I got done, I felt much better...but my trainer saw something on my face that said I wasn't 100%. Bless his heart, he asked me if I had ever used the battle ropes, then took me over and showed me how to use them. There is something that feels REALLY good about beating the heck out of the floor with those ropes!

I have definitely noticed that I feel much happier since I started doing cardio 3x a week.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Well, I suffer from depression and have been forcing myself to move through it to stay on this healthier path. I don't take meds (though I certainly could), but I fight the fight to keep my head on. The one thing I know is that there doesn't have to be a reason to be depressed, that depression will find those of us prone to it whether or not we are fat, thin, broke, rich, etc, etc. A body in motion sort of helps keep the worst of the disease away, though, so trying to stay connected to my body through walking, swimming, even stretching every day helps. Also, the less of the bad food I eat, the more care I show my body about what I'm going to put in it, the less I desire the sluggish way I feel/felt when in the midst of a super depressed zone. The depression that allowed my to eat take out mexican, chinese & pizza each night because I didn't care about cooking or grocery shopping has been put into a very small box, one that can only be opened once a week for one meal. It won't last forever, my little box, but little successes and better choices help solidify a better lifestyle. Good luck, and no, you are not alone in this.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    wow..what a difficult challenge. I can understand why you want to be off meds ..and I can also see why you may need them.

I wonder if you found a great holistic doctor and tried to work with them to find a natural healthy overall program to tackle all your health goals.. Someone who sees and treats "all" of you: .the depression, the anxiety, and the weight issue. Most times medical doctors just prescribe meds to mask one problem they specialize in and don't look at the person as a whole.

I wish you well.

I would agree with this. There's no way I could go without my meds. Just making it through work and remembering to breathe would be too hard. This is a Medical Condition. It may get better with losing weight and exercising, but I would at least want to try something holistic and see a therapist if I was trying to do it without meds.

I feel for you...the reason i've been overweight so long is because I couldn't deal with both at the same time. I hope you find hte encouragement and path thats right for you.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I deal with depression, BPD, and a few other things that aren't particularly relevant. Having a routine is REALLY helping with these things, and I feel so self satisfied with every tiny bit of progress. Every pound I lose makes me feel less 'useless', makes me hold myself in higher regard, and leads to me doing other things to improve myself (such as taking better care of myself, doing makeup more often, reading, learning languages, etc).
    When I first begin a regimen, I get REALLY excited, overplan, and spend way more time talking about doing it and imagining the effects than actually doing it. Something I've had to learn the hard way is that this isn't always going to be fun. I'm not always going to get to have the motivation that carries through the first week or so, and I'm going to have to look more closely at my body, which I have a very strained relationship with. It really makes you examine yourself more honestly in terms of progress in every bit of your life.
    I've found I'm the most successful is when I'm a little bit easier on myself. As long as you do the right thing more often than not, you'll see progress. You don't have to do cardio 8x a week and eat 600 calories every day- it's scary and hard to look at it moderately, but it's very simple. A favorite quote of mine is "Weight loss is simple- that doesn't make it easy". I recommend putting your work out clothes next to your bed, or even sleeping in them, to force yourself to do whatever exercise. Have a calendar where you make a mark every time you come in under/at your calorie goal, or every time you exercise, so you have multiple visual cues for your progress. Don't freak out when you go over, and realize whatever bad days can be undone. OP, I know this isn't particularly directed at you, I'm just hoping to help someone else that may have similar issues :)
    As far as your concern, maybe you could take a break from say logging, or exercising, or just one little bit that may be causing you to feel overwhelmed? Or you could try a fun challenge, like no processed foods instead of counting calories just to switch things up for a bit. Like other posters, exercise helps me manage things and I feel a million times better and more accomplished after that- maybe take up something like yoga? It's VERY relaxing and very enjoyable from my standpoint
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety over the course of my life (27 years). I was on meds for a long time, but found that they jacked me up more than helping me (I also know that this isn't the case for everyone). I've found that regulating my vitamins and my food really help with my mood, and the less carbs/sugar I have, the less rollercoasty my moods are.

I do still get high anxiety when I'm in large crowds (why did I ever move to the city?) but I'm working on mediation techniques to work through that as well.

I've found that depression was a major cause (symptom?) of my weight gain, and that I finally had to decide to kick myself in the butt and focus on my goals and the future. Nothing near as abstract as 'healthy' either. I want to skydive. I want to run. I want to frolick through a motherf-ing field. These tangible goals have helped keep me focused. I may not always care about myself, but somehow I still care about my future self and those things that I want to do. And also... support. The system that I've found here within MFP is of great help to me. I have someone besides myself that holds me accountable. If I don't log in, I get flack. If I eat funny, they're going to know. It's a nice thing to have.

If you need a friend/someone to give you flack, I'm here. ;)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I was not placed on medication until I told a school official I wanted to end my life, and then went through months of therapy and medication. Fast forward to today, and I am not three years out without medication.

I was on Cymbalta, and that stuff was awful! Anyway, I find exercise really helps boost my mood. I still have my spells, especially when Aunt Flo comes and I learn once again that I am broken (TTC). Whenever I do have major spells though I cry and tell my fiancé and move on. It's hard, but...we can beat depression without medication, right??
  • kaiodedra123
    kaiodedra123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I havent suffered from depression but when ever i am depressed i go to the gym and channel that energy into lifting weights, running for longer, while thinking to myself 'ima show them'
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    I take Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for my Bi-Polar II condition. I have not gained any weight on this drug, as a matter of fact I lost some weight. But I regained 12 lbs belly fat through my own fault, eating big yummy Jumbo Drumsticks and McDonald's Oreo McFlurrys. My Shrink who controls my meds told me I have an incurable disease due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, he also told me I was born this way, but I can live a good life on a stable medication and vitamin regimen plus exercise to help with my self esteem. I attempted suicide and damn near succeeded, and that can't be fixed by diet. I was miss diagnosed for 15 years with simple depression and I went the entire cycle of anti depressants 5 different times. After 6 months they would stop working so my doctors (internist) would change it up to another one. After the 5th go around, I was referred to a shrink, who saw it for what it was and once on Lamotrigine and tweaking the dosage to where I am now my bi-polar is under control. I do have a motivation problems though, but I make myself go out of the house, exercise, and do things to keep me active. Exercise and activity is good for this. ,Just keep you chin up, things will get better.
  • jnnfrch
    jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    heyy, i was literally just about to make a post about depression and asking if anyone else had it when i saw this thread, i have depression too and feel like it makes weight loss a different journey! would love to speak to people who are in a similar position, feel free to add, im sure we can help eachother out :)
  • Apatheticme93
    Apatheticme93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 20 years old and have been suffering from depression/anxiety since i was 14. I've had many triggers in my life that contributed to my depression, and it's been a very long and difficult road. I've never been on medication, I've never been to therapy either. I don't believe in meds, and my family certainly couldn't/cant afford therapy.

I've handled my depression in a simple way; Writing. I write in a journal every time i feel the need to complain or rant. I've had four different journal's since i was 13, and it really helps me get things off my chest. I look back on the journal that i wrote in when i was 13-15 and it's crazy how different I was. I find this method extremely helpful when dealing with depressing situations. It's like a therapist that doesn't talk back or judge you. Write in it when you have a good day too! So you can look back and smile at some of the pages.

As for weightloss, actually a VERY good release for depression is exercising! You see, when you exercise, your body releases a natural chemical called "endorphins". Endorphins are often described as a natural pain killer, and when you exercise you release it, making you happy/relieving stress. When i felt depressed in the past I would just go for a quick ride on my bike, or walk around the neighborhood. It really helped.

Lately my depression has been a tiny bit calmer since I've been exercising for the past week. Another tip is to set up something to look forward to. For instance, I'm starting college full time at the end of the month, and after i graduate in 2 years I'm planning to go to a four year college out of state. I'm really excited and looking forward to it, so i haven't had the time to focus on my depression. You could set a vacation set in a couple months, or sign up for yoga/zumba classes, those are always fun to lose weight and be a bit happier.

I know this is long, so I'll stop here. I've learned by now that depression is a disease that stays with you your entire life. There's no way to get rid of it completely. These are just some of the things that have helped me throughout the years of dealing with this torture, medication free. I hope you'll find things that help you as well. :) Feel free to add me, I offer encouragement whenever it's needed.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I understand your situation and your challenges. For many years my anxiety and depression stopped me from taking the steps to get fit and lose weight, because I couldn't find the emotional or physical energy to do it. I have been on different medications with varying success over the years. Medication helps me manage my mood and sleep now, and gives me the emotional stability to focus on my happiness and health. Your choice to be medicated or not is yours alone, but do make sure you work with your doctor/psychiatrist/psychologist on your general health and check in with them when your emotional state changes.

MyFitnessPal has helped me a lot, in mindfulness and creating healthier habits. I've also found having a fitness tracker (I have a Jawbone UP, but there's also the Fitbit, or Bodymedia, or any kind of pedometer) has helped me be conscious of moving more every day. You can start gently, go for a walk every day, have a goal of steps in mind each day. Find exercise that you enjoy, that both challenges and supports your body. Learning to breathe and yoga can help with your emotional state so much! Or run (even low impact like on the elliptical trainer), or lift weights (I find getting stronger really empowering, and you can start small). Take a dance class, go swimming. Try until you find what you enjoy.

Routine is important to me in managing my anxiety and depression, and having those tools has helped me. I make appointments in my calendar with myself to exercise. I find my mood drops now if I miss a workout, and I feel sluggish if I do less exercise in a week. This is a big change from how exhausted and unfit I used to be!

I echo so much what QueenWino said, about more movement and healthier food choices to honour and nourish our bodies and minds. Other habits I've formed since using MyFitnessPal (they take some time but now they are routine) is logging in every day, pre-logging many of my meals, weighing my food, making effort to eat more vegetables every day, pack my lunch for work each day. Make sure to be kind to yourself, even if it is something as simple as a nice bath, or a product to look after your skin. This doesn't need to be overwhelming, start with small and simple new habits, don't chastise yourself if you have a "bad" day, make sure you get enough sleep, drink a lot of water etc. Eat healthily, but don't go hungry, set a realistic daily calorie goal (search In Place Of A Road Map on the forums here). Take rest days. Recognise that the weight loss won't happen overnight, but changes you make now for your health in getting fit and eating well, can be for life, and they will help support you emotionally every day too.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18347657

This abstract shows a corilation between significant weightloss and an depression. I found it when I began to struggle with depression I thought I had put in my past. It dosnt have the answer but I feel maybe going into mantinance for a month to let my body return to a level state may reset things. At that point I can return to my cut to get rid of the last of my unwanted weight.
  • elllI4
    elllI4 Posts: 8
    Options
    im completely in the same boat with you. I started working out while i was still in a depressive state and about 3 weeks in i felt like my depression that I've had since i was 10 seemed to just disappear. i guess i was focusing all of my energy and time on trying to make me a better person and it worked. of course, on occasion it comes back but not as severely as it used to. My panic attacks have even gone down a whole lot and I'm not so angry anymore either.
    fruits and veggies have their own natural medicine in it, remember. As soon as i got off medications and just stuck to natural healthy things i've become a much happier person.
    i hope that working out, eating healthy and setting a goal for you to look forward too can help you out :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the best antidepressant IMHO :flowerforyou:
  • JohnBG123
    Options
    I'm bipolar so I know what y'all are going through. More to follow. Wife taped the bachelorette so its time to watch it. :smile:
    But I have found exercise helps.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Since starting exercising and healthy eating, I really see a difference in my mood when i am working out consistently and eating right vs. being lazy and eating crap! I can cry every day for 2 weeks straight if I get off plan... I did it not that long ago! Sometimes it is hard to find the willpower to get back on track once I am sucked that deep into depression, but once I find the strength to do it, it only takes a couple of days to start feeling better. I still have anxiety issues and get sad/angry/nervous etc too often, but if you really want to stay off meds (I have been med free almost entirely for 7 years, other than a two month period after a close family member passed away and I took xanax) you really do have to learn how to dig deep inside yourself and fight to break free from the clutches of depression. Exercise and eating right is what helps me keep control, and I beliee it helps a lot of people who deal with these things. :flowerforyou:

Good luck on your journey!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!