Water, Water, Ick

Options
Ok - so I REALLY HATE drinking water. It makes me gag and I just have to force it. I DO drink Crystal Light (Mojito is my current favorite). My question is - Does the Crystal Light count as water consumption? I really don't want to have to force water down plain if the crystal light will count.

Replies

• MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts. diet sodas dont count due to the caffeine which acts as a dieuretic. Some people have problems tho with the artificial sweeteners causing cravings. I am right with you on the water...i'm slowly learning to drink more. For every diet soda i have I force myself to drink 2 tall glasses of water afterwards and i've cut down quite a bit.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It will help the cause so my advice - drink it!
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how people dont like water, unless you are drinking tap water. Dont drink tap water. Get a filter. Water tastes amazing!
  • brandylynnnichols
    Options
    If it has water, it counts. Some people say that it doesn't but I wonder if these same people eat while drinking and if so do they count the water that mixes with their food as water?:smile: Don't sweat the small stuff. If this is what helps to keep you hydrated then drink on. Just make sure you log the calories.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I take half a cucumber and cut it up and place it in a pitcher of water. Let is sit overnight, and you have fresh, amazing tasting water! Crystal light is full of artificial sweetners and other fake crap. Try this!
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you drink crystal light you should really switch to drink Pure fitness an aspartame free version.
    Artificial sweeteners cause a lot of problems with weight loss..
    If you can flavor your water naturally with lemon or lime!
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lots of ice is what keeps me drinking water. I finally figured that out when I realized that I drank lots of water at restaurants but very little at home. I now keep 2 ice trays in the freezer at work and easily drink 6 cups of water at work and 3 - 6 cups at home.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I take half a cucumber and cut it up and place it in a pitcher of water. Let is sit overnight, and you have fresh, amazing tasting water! Crystal light is full of artificial sweetners and other fake crap. Try this!

thats a really good idea!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I count Crystal Light. I do dilute it - for me, the flavor is plenty strong enough mixed in a 24-30 oz bottle of water. More liquid for the amount of other stuff, and it costs less too.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try filtered or spring water. I used to hate water, even filtered and spring used to make me feel sick (literally) But I drank it anyway and after a few weeks I found myself quite liking it.
    It does still get boring sometimes so I get some sugar free flavored spring water (maybe get through 2-3 ltrs a week) At 12 calories a ltr it's nothing really. But I still mostly just drink plain filtered water. Maybe try giving it a bit more time?
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have tried to put cucumber, grapefruit, and lemon in water and let it sit....all it tastes like is cucumber....and it is overpowering. Maybe it is just our water.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The Crystal Light counts. Coffee counts. Diet (or regular) soda counts. If it has water in it, no matter what it is mixed with, it counts as water. Your body will use it as hydration no matter what is mixed with it.

And caffeine will do little to nothing to dehydrate you unless you are having a crap-ton of it.

But I do think water is great. Water shouldn't taste like ick. Need a filter or something?
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    My opinion-yes it counts!
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how people dont like water, unless you are drinking tap water. Dont drink tap water. Get a filter. Water tastes amazing!

But...but...I almost always drink tap water :cry:

The tap water around where I live comes from wells so it's really tasty already. But I agree that filtering can definitely improve taste, and quality if you have unpleasant stuff in your water supply. The water that came from the hoses back at my horse barn in PA was also well water, and it was the best water I've ever had. We always joked that the owner should bottle and sell it.

Crystal Light is a good gateway additive to move to pure water. I used to only drink water with Crystal Light, but as time went on I was able to ween myself off of it. Needing to drink A LOT after my runs helped that switch too. I was just too tired to make that much flavored water lol. Anyway, my point is that flavoring your water doesn't make it not water, so you're fine. Just keep experimenting and enjoy!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

this

or add some fresh mint leaves or lemon to your water.
    Mint easily grows in a container, and you can bring it inside in the winter to protect it from the frost. If you plant in the ground, it's very invasive difficult to keep it from taking over.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Try diluting your flavored drinks (soda/crystal light) with water. I dilute mine with at least one part water. (Sodas - 2-3 times ) There is plenty of sweetener in both to taste good even when diluted. The less sweet these drinks taste, the less you will crave other overly sweetened and salted foods. That's what I have found. Its easier to maintain my weight...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Get a water filter. I feel your pain, places I've been for student org trips almost invariably have nasty water. There was one where it had almost a fake sugar taste... *shudders*
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Sure it does...I wasnt able to lose weight until I cut out sugared drinks and I used Mio and diet soda as a replacement.

I will say though that I've started to develop a taste for water with just lemon. I started this by watering down my Mio and crystal light. Current research says as long as it's a liquid it's hydrating including coffee and tea. Personally, water works best for me as far as my skin goes and filling me up. However, I used diet soda to get me over the food cravings and binges.

I've had to cut out all aspartame though as it gives me a headache.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have tried to put cucumber, grapefruit, and lemon in water and let it sit....all it tastes like is cucumber....and it is overpowering. Maybe it is just our water.

Cut up fruit into it...watermelon makes a great flavor. Make sure it's ice ice cold and get a filter. Oh I also like to cold steep a tea bag in my water sometimes as I'm very sensitive to the chemical tastes in water.
  • KrisRei
    KrisRei Posts: 6
    Options
    Crystal Light is very unhealthy. I drank a lot of it before I found out what it was doing to my body. Have you tried adding lots of ice or lemon? I have also found that different brands of bottled water taste different.