Need to strengthen my knee

Options
I was in a train crash in February 2012.
Amtrak train hit a lowboy that was stuck on the tracks and derailed.
I was fine when I got off the train, They bused us to a close train station where my knee and back started feeling sore, I said something to an EMT but I wasn't bad enough to be hospitalized. When I got to my final destination I was having a hard time putting weight on my right leg.

I went to the hospital the next day, I was able to walk at that time with mild pain, it was uncomfortable but tolerable. The doctor put me on crutches and immobilized my leg with an obnoxious brace that went from my hip to my ankle. I had to wear that for about three weeks after which I got a soft brace and sent to a physical therapist who was more concerned with my weight, then my knee.

I moved back to my home state in may of 2012 and saw a doctor here who again sent me to a PT who again was more concerned with my weight then my knee.
I go to the gym, I have lost 30 pounds since this crash.

However. I am lucky if I can bowl one game before my knee starts throbbing, I can not shoot a full dart tournament let alone a night of league without limping away from the line at the end of the night, I went to a concert last night and could barely walk back to my friends car because my knee was hurting so badly from standing for 4 hours. I can not drive let alone be in a car for more then 40 minutes without having to get out and walk around for 15-20 minutes, among other things

Prior to this train crash I had no difficulty doing anything like that. I could drive long distances, bowl multiple games, shoot tournaments, and enjoy concerts, without having to worry about my leg hurting, I now have to decide before going out and doing something I enjoy, if it is worth the pain I will feel the next day, or later that night.

I have talked to PT's about strengthening my knee and their only response is to lose weight and the pain will go away.

So far I am having a very very hard time believing them.

I've been overweight my whole life, The pain in my knee didn't start until after the train crash. I'm very annoyed that nobody was willing to overlook my weight to see if there was another underlying problem post crash. Going to another Doctor or PT for help is not an option for me right now.

But I'm looking for ways to strengthen my knee up so I can hopefully have a better chance of being able to go out and enjoy myself without spending the next 24+ hours in pain.

Has anyone else had a knee injury? How did you get yourself back to normal? What did you do?

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You never said what kind of knee injury you sustained.
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    It was impact related on my right knee. I went forward and my right knee hit the hard back of the seat infront of me and then when I was getting of the train I jumped off wrong and my right knee made contact with the ground.

They never gave an official diagnoses just sent me to a PT and told me to lose weight.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    It was impact related on my right knee. I went forward and my right knee hit the hard back of the seat infront of me and then when I was getting of the train I jumped off wrong and my right knee made contact with the ground.

They never gave an official diagnoses just sent me to a PT and told me to lose weight.

Well, obviously it was impact related. I am asking whether you had bone damage/bruising, cartilage tears, torn ligaments, tendons, that sort of thing.

They never gave you an official diagnosis? Did they do any imaging on your knee? Surely there is *some* paperwork you could request from your doctor that explains what the visit resulted in.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    As obnoxious as it is, them telling you to lose weight for your knee pain is accurate. My left knee has no cartilage at all on the medial side (inner side). Seventy two pounds ago it was far worse than it is now. The daily swelling is much less. Does it still need a partial replacement? Yup. Does it still give me grief every day? Yup. It is better? Yup. I doubt you want to hear that they're right, but they are.
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life too, also with knee (and ankle) problems. Knee came about from a collision with a baseball bat rather than a train, but still initially an impact injury. Used to swell every couple of months to double its normal size.

I'm finding the more weight I lose, the less pain it gives me (ditto with my ankle). My weight has rebounded, although I'm on track again now, and even at my current weight I'm in less pain than before.

I did get some imaging done (x-rays on the knee, ultrasound on the ankle) to rule out major structural damage, but don't completely discount what they're saying. Not only will it hurt less, but carrying less weight day to day will help it heal too, particularly with knees/hips/ankles. My weight did not cause the injuries, but losing weight definitely helped them heal.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    They never gave you an official diagnosis? Did they do any imaging on your knee? Surely there is *some* paperwork you could request from your doctor that explains what the visit resulted in.
    [/quote]

This. I'd go back and demand an MRI if you didn't already have one...are you in the U.S.? I'd also consider switching doctors...did you see an orthopedic surgeon to begin with? I'd get some referrals for a good one in your area and start over with him/her. In the meantime, can you ride a stationary bike? I have a bum left knee. Several surgeries and one reconstruction of the ACL and biking whether stationary or road has always helped me regain motion. Even years after my injury, I have to often ice, etc. after a hard workout or time spent on my feet for too long. Hope you can get some answers.
  • RichardFL
    Options
    When I had knee problems in high school, I had to use what was basically a resistance band while sitting and push the leg in and out and also lay down and move my whole leg up while keeping it straight using the resistance band. Now, you could probably just google up some knee exercises. I'd definitely ask your physical therapist about specific exercises before doing them though. Some exercises will aggravate your existing injury or cause new injuries.

I'll also echo what others have said about weight and knee pain. Losing weight is definitely helping with my knee pain, and even reduces how often I injure it from other activities. When I gained some weight back last year, the pain also got noticeably worse again.
  • Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You need to have an MRI to see if there is real damage. I have horrible knee problems not from an accident but the doctors also told me pt. I ended up switching doctors to a ortho. Turns out I tore my acl and meniscus. My damage was pretty bad and now have advanced arthritis. Point being... You need to have an MRI....
  • bumblebums
    Options
    You need to have an MRI to see if there is real damage. I have horrible knee problems not from an accident but the doctors also told me pt. I ended up switching doctors to a ortho. Turns out I tore my acl and meniscus. My damage was pretty bad and now have advanced arthritis. Point being... You need to have an MRI....

At the very least, ask your doctor for the records of your visit so you can sue him for malpractice later when you get a proper diagnosis from someone else.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What they probably should have told you is for each pound of body weight lost, there is a 4-pound reduction in knee joint stress among overweight and obese people. I have severely damaged knee's from my obesity.... 4 years ago I couldn't walk and today after losing 312 lbs. I am able To Walk, do I still deal with knee pain, Yes everyday.... I get knee clean outs, shots, take pain pills but I am mobile now and the impact on my knee is Alot Less now than it was.... It would definitely be a good place to start because in the long run any knee damage you have will be better off...... Best of Luck...