Saying no to take away...

Options
iankuk
iankuk Posts: 31 Member
Random post here guys but i totally screwed my calorie intake today by saying yes to chip shop chips and pizza baguettes!!
How do you say no when you know the food is sooooo yes!! lol

Ian x

Replies

• RichardLevine
    RichardLevine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im probably another one who struggles with this issue. :0} What comes to mind at this time is to find a substitute actvity to take your mind off that pizza. Some small task, and in no time you've completely forgot about the pizza, and more likely than not when you think about the pizza you forgot about-you have your cravings under control.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Willpower.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What do you want more: Weight loss or take out?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Cook delicious food and don't scrimp on the fat just to save a few calories. The food you eat should be really good and not just something you're eating because you're on a diet. That's what helps me at any rate -- willpower alone wouldn't cut it for me.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The more I eat healthier the less I want take out. Though when my family are all talking about what they want to order from the chippy I'm not strong enough! So I eat the food, though smaller portions, and try and do an extra run to make up for it.
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of limiting yourself, rethinking how you perceive the take away. I may have take away or fast food once or twice a month at most. My crutch is Chinese food, steamed pork dumplings or sushi. Sushi I don't beat myself over so much since the raw fish is so good for you.

Educating yourself on nutrition helps, a lot here in my opinion. It's good but nutritionally very much a treat and unhealthy for your body all the time. If you want to be healthy and want to do good things for your body that can help you stay away from it. As well as learning very yummy but healthy made at home dishes.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Willpower.

This.

That's all it ever comes down to. Your own personal willpower. We can give you all the hints, tips, and tricks in the world. But none of it matters if you're still willing to say yes.

I'm not trying to sound harsh or mean, it's just the truth. Strengthening your willpower is as important as strengthening your body because you will always have temptations around you. And it's nobody elses choice what you eat, ever, unless they are forcing your mouth open and shoving the food down your throat.

So remind yourself of you goals, why you want to reach those goals, and make your choice. I'm not saying to never have take away again, just be conscious of the choices you're making and how they fit into you overall plan. Because it's going to take saying no a lot more frequently than yes to meet your goals.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Random post here guys but i totally screwed my calorie intake today by saying yes to chip shop chips and pizza baguettes!!
    How do you say no when you know the food is sooooo yes!! lol

Ian x

mmm pizza baguettes and chipssss, my fav, droool

I have no idea how to say no, that is why I am fat >.<

I guess I just nag people around me enough with the 'I am on a diet' that they end up talking me out of it

"Hey we are going chip shop you wan... oh yeah you're on that diet thing, sucks to be you, bye"

I am so took back I end up loosing the appetite for it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food all the time. Just make better choices when you have to pick up quick meals.
  • iankuk
    iankuk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate all the replies here guys, awesome stuff indeed. Willpower indeed, exercising that part of your life must likely to be the hardest yet most important one of all! The power to say no at the right time is an important one and gives food for thought on ones weight losing goals.

Cheers all
    Ian x
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I either fit it into my macros or, if I've eaten all of my calories for the day, I just suck it up and exercise self-control.
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I still eat 1-2 takeaways a week, but accept these things:

1. I order wisely. For example Indian - avoid creamy sauces, 1 chapati, not stuffed nan, avoid unnecessary starters, esp. deep fried things. Chinese: avoid battered things, go for prawns or chicken in a light sauce. Pizza: thin bases, ask for half the cheese.

2. I eat a lot less than I used to - basically put myself out a half portion. Leave some of the sauces, but eat the proteins. Really cut back on rice and noodles. Don't ever eat a whole pizza. Fish and chips - try to share or order a kids portion.

3. I just accept that I always gain 2lbs the day after a Chinese or Indian takeaway. It'll be gone within a day or so, as its just water retention from the high salt content.

At the end of the day, I want to be able eat normal food and keep losing weight (and keep it off) ... I'm not looking to become some sort of health freak!

Two more things I do:

4. plan ahead and eat really healthily during the day if I know I'm getting takeaway in the evening.
    5. Go for a late night walk (or even run) after a takeaway to burn off any excess calories.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Try to find a menu option that is 50%+ protein calories. By the time you do, you may have forgotten you were hungry.
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My mum and dad bought chips home the other day and had them ready for me on a plate. I couldn't resist but I gave half a portion back to my parents. Then I made sure I burned those carbs wrapped in fat on the treadmill!!!

It's difficult sometimes.
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I still eat take-aways occasionally and when I do I order what I want and eat as much as I want. I eat healthy the majority of the time so consider it a treat. Sometimes I do go overboard but actually consider it a nice reminder of how good it feels to eat healthy. We're allowed to be "naughty" sometimes though yea?
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't dwell on it, and certainly don't take the attitude of 'Well I screwed it, might as well eat ALL the things'. Log it, start fresh again tomorrow and keep going. As long as you aren't eating those things every day, one slip won't mess things up long-term.
  • ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You came here for support, so you got it. There's no place for shame for those of us trying to bring positive change to this area of our lives. I'm going to tell you what you want to hear.....it's ok, it's over, and next time...stop, look, and listen just like it's a dangerous rail road crossing. To the response of just use Willpower, I agree BUT I DISAGREE. Willpower is actually a learned skilled, not a character trait that some are born with and some are not...it is a matter of practice, and you can get better at it with every attempt you make at changinig your choices -- delay the decision, distract yourself from the temptation, remove the temptation, change your environment, or choose that food but make a trade-off as in give up something else or add in more physical exercise. You can do it! Best of luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you want to be shredded or overweight...?

us that line of thought next time you want take out...
  • cmoore806
    Options
    After working so hard at losing weight it's hard to put anything in that isnt healthy. I just tell myself I'd rather wait hours for a meal late than put garbage in my mouth. I make my living as a nurse and I see so many people who smoked, ate garbage etc and are in horrible shape. You wouldnt put *kitten* in your car's gas tank so why put *kitten* in yours! (your body is worth far more than any car).
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    before I order anything I break it down into into single ingredients....i imagine placing all of these objects singularly in front of me and say to myself , would I eat that by itself? No. For example....

Lays chips --

seyn15.gif

It takes all of those ingredients to create one snack. It really loses my appetite once i break it down, my main culprite used to be Pizza or hot cheetos.