Clmbing Stairs vs Walking

Options
I have had a hard time climbing steps for over ten years so the fact that I am now climbing even just a little bit is a big accomplishment for me.

I live near Canton, Ohio and we have the McKinley Monument - here's a pic of it http://billpomerenk.com/travel/presidents/William_Mckinley/grave.jpg

There's 108 steps to reach the top. I went today and managed to walk up half way - I was sweating and my heart was racing and I decided that was enough considering I haven't climbed those steps at all in over 20 years except for 6 weeks ago when I tried to climb it and got as far as the first tier and was too worn out to continue.

Anyhow here's my question - if I incorporate climbing the steps here a couple of times a week, what are the benefits from the steps vs just going for a walk or walking on the treadmill at an incline?

Replies

• peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Walking at an includ isnt the same as stairs. When you climb stairs, you are forcing your body to maintain some extra balance as well as lifting your body with 1 leg. The energy expendeture is higher, how much, I have no idea. But take the distance that you climbed and lay out it out flat and you can do it easier. Climbing stairs is a great exercise.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Exercise training benefits are achieved in two ways:

There is the general conditioning from working at the appropriate intensity and duration. This will occur regardless of whether or not you are walking, cycling, running, etc.

There is the specific conditioning that occurs from doing a particular movement, e.g. climbing stairs will make you more proficient at climbing stairs than walking will, even if the workout intensities were identical.

So, the only specific benefits to climbing the stairs would be: A) improving your ability to climb stairs; B) a sense of accomplishment at achieving a tangible goal.

The fact that you were so out of breath and heart was racing indicates that the intensity of climbing the stairs represents a very high intensity for you. So just climbing the stairs continuously every day until you can't go any farther might not be the best approach. You could try doing it as a type of interval training--going up a set amount --10-15 steps for example--then resting (or walking the width of the stairway for recovery)--then going up another set. Then periodically, you could "test" yourself by going as far as possible. I think it's a great challenge.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Exercise training benefits are achieved in two ways:

There is the general conditioning from working at the appropriate intensity and duration. This will occur regardless of whether or not you are walking, cycling, running, etc.

There is the specific conditioning that occurs from doing a particular movement, e.g. climbing stairs will make you more proficient at climbing stairs than walking will, even if the workout intensities were identical.

So, the only specific benefits to climbing the stairs would be: A) improving your ability to climb stairs; B) a sense of accomplishment at achieving a tangible goal.

The fact that you were so out of breath and heart was racing indicates that the intensity of climbing the stairs represents a very high intensity for you. So just climbing the stairs continuously every day until you can't go any farther might not be the best approach. You could try doing it as a type of interval training--going up a set amount --10-15 steps for example--then resting (or walking the width of the stairway for recovery)--then going up another set. Then periodically, you could "test" yourself by going as far as possible. I think it's a great challenge.

I did have to stop and rest, I didn't push myself to continue when I knew that I needed a few minutes of rest before continuing up.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I cant directly answer your question, but I'm from Canton :drinker: I love those steps, they are a great workout! :drinker: That monument was the second step I took in my exercise, after walking for a couple of months to start. I feel your pain, when you first start it is so difficult to make it even half way, let alone the top! I also had hip issues that are mostly better now, but in the beginning those steps hurt!! hell, to be honest they STILL hurt!! but keep going and you will get further each day! Good luck! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: