Gastric Bypasser Here :)

2»

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    I am not having surgery-but I have always been curious with everyones weight loss that has one. What are the calories that are allowed on a daily basis after the surgery that helps you to lose weight easily? i am just curious because there are many days that I am under 1200 and I do not lose weight fast-gets kinda discouraging.

It's not as "easy" as you think. Post-op, I was only allowed liquids for two weeks, then mushies for another two weeks, soft foods next, then solids after. I was instructed to eat protein first, then veggies (when I was allowed), then carbs. I very rarely got past the protein stage until I was around 6 months post-op, when I was up to around 500-600 calories a day. Of course, being on a VLCD also wreaked havoc in that my hair fell out...not completely, but significantly thinner. I had wls in 2009 and currently eat approximately 1500-1600 calories per day. Some days I can and do eat more.

Purposely eating under 1200 calories a day is not in your best interest because doing this long term will mess up your metabolism. My suggestion is that you determine your BMR and TDEE and eat between those two numbers. Even after wls, I was advised to increase my caloric intake whenever I reached a stall. When calories were increased, the weight would start coming off again. I invite you to check out the "eat more, weigh less" group for more information.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    My RNY was 5/3/11. 115lbs forever gone. Cruising steady at 185 now. Not my goal weight, but if this is where my body wants to be, then I'm happy

Good to see you all!
  • I have my first appointment with a bariatric surgeon on the 24th of this month! My orientation will be the 17th! I'm really excited about it! If anyone would like to, feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    I had pancreatic diversion with duodenal switch a yr. ago and totally understand the restrictions involved in the surgery. I, too, feel like a new person. Feel free to add me.
  • mrsschmitty722
    mrsschmitty722 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi. I'm new too this site. In had my rny on December 29, 2006. I've lost over 125#. Was maintaining my weight beautifully up until a year or so ago. I had to have an emergency hysterectomy, was put on steroids for a few months. Then got sick with pneumonia and was put back on steroids again for a few months. I weight for around 4 years was steady between 120 to 127. Now I'm up to 173!! I need too get off 50 lbs. Just makes me sick thinking about it, and thinking that taking these meds to help me,, has also helped me to gain 50 friigen pounds.... oh well, I had to start somewhere when I first had GBS., I'm starting somewhere today!! Getting excited again, like I was during the honeymoon phase of surgery, I wish y'all well. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm trying to learn everything...