Weight lifting and running

Options
I enjoy weight lifting and running. Currently doing the C25K program. I know that running can cause u to lose muscle mass, but I love to lift weights and have recently been bit by the running bug. Are there any MFP peeps out their that enjoy running and weightlifting?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Running can inhibit maximum muscle gains and doing running exclusively can lead to muscle imbalances and weakness in some areas.

For the average person, running will have little noticeable effect in their ability to gain muscle.
  • oppii
    oppii Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been lifting and doing high intensity cardio for 8 months now, and have had no trouble putting on and maintaining my muscle mass! HIIT has actually improved my endurance a lot, I can go for a lot longer when I lift.
    However, I am not running marathons or doing a heap of steady state cardio, I'm talking sprints here.
    Cardio and running go terribly well together. DO IT!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week, swim after my lifts, and run three times a week. I have noticed gains in strength, but not size, and they have been a bit slow since I'm in a deficit. I love all three, don't think I could give one of them up, but as my goals change I'm sure I'll shuffle them around a bit.

Rigger
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it, but it might inhibit your progress on one or both things. When I’m training for a race while maintaining a heavy lifting regimen, my legs are knackered on run days and feel less recovered on the following lift day. Currently, I run once or twice a week as my legs feel up to it. Since I’ve backed off the cardio, I’ve been able to make a lot more gains in lifting.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I d both as I'm in training for Tough Mudder. As I'm overweight I' noticing that that the fat is disappearing but there is defiantly muscle hiding underneath it all.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I love both, but I tend to enjoy running more. I can't afford to pay gym fees anymore so I started doing YAYOG at home as an attempt to keep at least a little strength training in my routine. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Go ahead. Just understand that you need to prioritize one over the other when putting your schedule together.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do both as part as my weekly routine.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I both weight lift and do cardio a few times a week. You can definitely do both. My advice would to do your weight training first and then do 20-30 min of running after (which ends up being about the length of a C25k workout). Do you cardio on days where you are not doing legs!
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and great ideas!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and training for a marathon at the same time. It seems to be working so far.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I personally don't prioritize one over the other. I run 5 days a week (2 days easy, 2 days hard, one long run) and lift/HIIT 5 days a week. The days that overlap I just lift in the morning and run at night. I do a full rest day on Fridays and do my long training runs on Saturday mornings with no lifting that day.

Just be sure to build a schedule you can handle and fuel properly.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lift 3/4 days a week while training for a half marathon. I actually started lifting when I injured my calf and couldn't run but now I'm back running I easily manage both as long as I eat enough. On days I'm squatting I'll just do an easy 5k afterwards or 20 mins on a stationary bike or rowing machine. Typically I run 4 days a week made up of an easy run, hills/sprints, easy run, long run. I always make sure I have one complete rest day and I'll ease up on the weights in the two weeks before my next race.

Proper lifting will help your running, both Usain Bolt and Mo Farah squat heavy.