I cried at the gym yesterday...feel very silly.

2»

Replies

• curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Love your pic btw!

My 2 boys, my reason for getting fit and healthy!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Whoa. I wonder what happened with the writing-in-sync with phatguerilla at 11.58 my time, a few minutes ago.
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Omg well done, It's surprising how we concentrate on weight and forget the inches, you've done so well and as for crying eating, trying to lose weight, change lifestyle has a huge emotional impact, I've stopped weighing myself everyday because I was sick of how a pound gained would effect my mood for the day, my partner hides the scales until Monday morning weigh in. Big virtual hugs and 6 inches is loads :) x
  • curly1980
    Muscle is weighs more than fat. Fact.

Concentrate on your measurements and ignore the scales - weight is irrelevant.

Not fact. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. Actual fact. And there is no way the op gained 6lbs of muscle in 6 weeks, I don't care how much people will claim noob gains. Much more likely to be a combination of a ****ty scale, change in clothes, and/or water retention the day of the weigh in.

OP if I were you I'd probably refuse to use the bodyfat divining machine next time out of principle, its a joke and will never give you an accurate reading, and a bodyfat figure is completely unnecessary anyways.

Hmmm, was thinking about not using it. Apparently they said (and don't shout this is them not me saying this) that the electrical current that goes round can't tell the difference between fat and water. I do wonder why they use it if that is true!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Aw! I totally know what you mean! I would have cried too! However, you're right....it was a later afternoon appointment after drinking a fair amount of water and tea....that would completely account for added weight AND those electrical impedence machines that send electricity through you completely depend on you having the same level of hydration. If you were better hydrated it will show you as having higher BF!

Regardless of you being tired and not feeling well, you don't need to excuse yourself for having a strong emotion. It's normal! Especially when it comes to putting in hard work and then having a few machines tell you it wasn't enough. I'm so glad they measured you though! That is a good team of trainers!

I hope you have a beautiful week. Thank you for sharing this.

I've been trying really hard for about 6 weeks now too, and my weight went back up 2 lbs from the 3 I lost. You've given me some encouragement to keep on keepin' on! Thank you!
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Im not keen on those BF machines, using a machine or BF measuring scales I come out around 34% BF but using calipers its more like 28% .. I know which ones Im gonna believe :D

Congrats on the massive NSV
  • Ramoth48
    Ramoth48 Posts: 93 Member
    I HAVE checked this out myself, a 500ml botlle will make just under a 1lb of difference on the scales so all the water you drank plus the tea and food would defo contributed to the extra 6lbs ,Congrats on the inches lost!!
  • curly1980
    Aw! I totally know what you mean! I would have cried too! However, you're right....it was a later afternoon appointment after drinking a fair amount of water and tea....that would completely account for added weight AND those electrical impedence machines that send electricity through you completely depend on you having the same level of hydration. If you were better hydrated it will show you as having higher BF!

Regardless of you being tired and not feeling well, you don't need to excuse yourself for having a strong emotion. It's normal! Especially when it comes to putting in hard work and then having a few machines tell you it wasn't enough. I'm so glad they measured you though! That is a good team of trainers!

I've been trying really hard for about 6 weeks now too, and my weight went back up 2 lbs from the 3 I lost. You've given me some encouragement to keep on keepin' on! Thank you!

Thank you, you too.

They are really good. It's the first time I've been a member if a gym and feel I can approach the trainers and have a little chat without feeling patronised or intimidated.

Think I will concentrate on the inches!

Don't give up...if I can keep going anyone can...and I'm queen of the quitters!
  • curly1980

Thank you, you too!

They are really good, it's the equipment that lets them down.

Don't give up, if I can do it anyone can and I'm queen of the quitters!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Sorry, no you're not, not anymore :) Someone else has taken the title from you.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member

Not fact. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. Actual fact. And there is no way the op gained 6lbs of muscle in 6 weeks, I don't care how much people will claim noob gains. Much more likely to be a combination of a ****ty scale, change in clothes, and/or water retention the day of the weigh in.

OP if I were you I'd probably refuse to use the bodyfat divining machine next time out of principle, its a joke and will never give you an accurate reading, and a bodyfat figure is completely unnecessary anyways.

Hmmm, was thinking about not using it. Apparently they said (and don't shout this is them not me saying this) that the electrical current that goes round can't tell the difference between fat and water. I do wonder why they use it if that is true!

I wouldn't shout. That's how the machine works, unfortunately its pointless. Bodyfat is just unnecessary for anyone except perhaps a few elite athletes, and only the water tanks are accurate, even calipers are highly variable.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member

LOL, True dat!
  • curly1980

*hugs*
  • curly1980

I wouldn't shout. That's how the machine works, unfortunately its pointless. Bodyfat is just unnecessary for anyone except perhaps a few elite athletes, and only the water tanks are accurate, even calipers are highly variable.

Sorry.

Definitely not going to bother next time with the BF. thanks for the advice.