Food Addiction

Options
Who here has a food addiction? What have you found helpful in controlling it? I feel so lost sometimes.

Replies

• nixxyj
    nixxyj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a food addiction, who doesn't!
    Especially when it's that time of the month, I crave Chocolate and sweets and always give in!
    I wouldn't say I can control it as such but after my little binges I lose my appetite for days so it kinda balances itself out.
    Also, on the days when I am eating too few calories, I don't workout as i feel my body needs its to use for my everyday activities.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I have problems too. I know what you mean about feeling lost. I feel so alone in this fight sometimes. My OH just says "Well eat less and exercise more, then you'll lose weight". I think my problems come from being depressed - a real issue at the moment as my company have just announced redundancies and no-one knows yet who's going!

I find that I'm a bit better if I keep busy. Walking is good as it takes me away from food - can't eat if you're in the middle of a field or walking the canal towpath!

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone.

Good luck!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are we talking true food addiction? Or just the passing cravings and weakness that we all have. There is a big difference between the two.

True food addiction needs to be dealt with by a counselor or mental health professional.

On a lighter note, I think most people have trouble saying no during a diet, and even more trouble sticking to their goals when things have become off-limits. It becomes the "forbidden fruit" so to speak. So perhaps evaluate yourself.

Do you want to eat certain foods at certain times? Are you using the food to mask or hide from an emotional issue or stressor? Are there certain times of the day that your "food addiction" takes over? Track this and see what could be causing the issue.

If it is emotional, it may be a good idea to seek out a counselor or talk to someone on here, or a friend in real life about the real thing that is bothering you and causing you to eat food. This may take practice. Sometimes journaling before you eat helps. Ask yourself, is this hunger for food, or hunger for attention, love, etc?

If it is a certain time of the day that is your weakness, it typically is because of an energy slump at that time, or perhaps a somewhat stressful event. Try to substitute your craving for a healthier alternative, or better yet, take a nap, or do some type of exercise for 10-15 minutes (like a brisk walk around the office).

Perhaps it is just a certain food that you can't say no to? You might be low in a nutrient that the food has. Often people that crave chocolate and sweets during their "time of the month" are iron deficient and/or having some trouble regulating their blood-sugar. There is a handy chart you can google. Just look up cravings and vitamin deficiency. You'll get some good hits.
  • akirgan
    akirgan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a food addiction and I definetely have trouble controlling it. I have fallen off the wagon lately, but in the past what helped was making sure your home is stocked with food you enjoy but is healthy favorite fruits, veggies, and if you get high calorie snacks or foods try to limit the amount you are consuming. I found that seperating items into a reasonable snack amount really helps. You can still enjoy the foods you crave it is all about moderation, if moderation doesn't work because you keep going back for more then you may have to try to cut it out all together until you can learn to better control your eating. Good luck I know you can do it. you are stronger then you know!
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Then there are people like me, who use carbs to self-soothe. (I read somewhere that carbs light up the same part of the brain as heroin.) When I have anxiety (about work, for example), I (for the most part of my life), would eat a bunch of carbs to release that tension. (IE, drug myself.) It is only the last few years, with the help of my GP and some other random counselling, that I have been able to find other ways to self-soothe (release the anxiety). Exercise helps, even something as simple as going to the park with my dog. Lorazepam etc. can help when needed (say before a big meeting at work, etc.) (Does not impact cognition.) I tried group therapy but it wasn't for me. One thing that really helped me was just admitting to myself what I was doing: "Okay, I had a sh*tty day and right now I'm going to emotionally eat so get outta my way!" Sometimes just admitting it, recognizing it, naming it, was helpful. Because then the next day you're like, "Hmmm... drugged myself with food yesterday... today I should probably try something else." It's finding the "something else" that works for you. Also, I keep trigger foods out of my home: no crackers, no bread at all, no potatoes, only whole wheat pasta, no cookies, cakes, etc. It's the only way I can keep a lid on things. (For the most part!!) The hardest thing to do was to learn to not be so tough on myself when I did self-soothe with food. I try not to beat myself up. I say, "Well, that wasn't what you had in mind, but it is a coping mechanism, and it WORKS, and it's gotten you this far. (IE, I'm still alive.) Throw the cookies in the garbage and go for a walk and clear your mind. Because cookies are not going to fix what you're feeling right now." Lorazepam helps. :D TMI??
  • ClaudiaKorff
    ClaudiaKorff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend a book by Gari Meacham, titled Truly Fed. It has really helped me say regarding Food Addiction: I don't do that anymore!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't get to be 376 pounds without having a food addiction or at least loving food (like me). Not to mention using food as means to self-medicate...I'm definitely an emotional eater. And DEFINITELY suffer from the "what can I eat next" syndrome.

Yes, it is very hard to get a handle on. I have found that the better quality of food I have, the more of it I can have, and the more satisfied I am. That's not to say I eat clean all the time because I SOOO don't. I just try to allow myself to be human and be realistic and not necessarily deprive myself.

I'm beginning to hate the phrase "Everything in moderation." I like "Finding a happy medium" better. Have that cheeseburger, but cut it in half - lose half the bun, and make the half a cheeseburger into a half of a double cheeseburger. That way you are at least saving *some* carbs. Or better still - lose the bun altogether. Last night, I went to the gym, and was going to hit Arby's on the way home. I thought, "Ohh - I'll get the Turkey Classic!" Then I thought, "Am I really that hungry?" I ended up ordering the Junior Turkey/Cheddar and some apple slices, and was completely happy with that for dinner.

It's sort of becoming the "what can I really have next that will help me move the scale in the right direction" syndrome! LOL
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with food addiction for most of my life. If you are ready to confront the issue, it is best to seek counseling. Until I was truly ready to follow through with counseling, nothing changed. During counseling, it got worse. But, in the long run the counseling worked. Am I still struggling with weight? Yes. Now the difference is that I am aware of what I am doing instead of being in denial. I have hope. There is no quick fix and it is not easy. Addiction is addiction. I occasionally attend a support group for addicts, which includes drug addicts, alcoholics, etc. I find it helpful and I am able to keep a healthy perspective. I wish you the best and you are half way there by reaching out to understand how it affects others.
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you would classify it as an addiction, but if food is in front of me, I will eat it.
    I have a really hard time saying no, and passing up on food sitting on the table.
  • Hthr316
    Hthr316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We definitely all have issues with food addiction, otherwise we wouldn't be trying to shed the excess weight! There are a couple things I've tried to do to help myself when I go to eat:

1. Ask yourself, am I hungry?? If you're not really hungry, then why are you eating? Bored? Find something to occupy yourself. Chew gum. Eat fruit or veggies. I'm a salt person primarily, so chips were always my go-to, now, I eat Claussen pickles. Yes, they're WAY high in sodium, but I get that crunchy, salty need filled with minimal calories.

2. Restaurant eating. Oh, how I love me some fatty, delicious restaurant food!! Fast food I try to avoid these days, but if I "have" to eat it (I am on the road for work sometimes), I just get a burger. No fries, nothing else. Before I go to a restaurant, I look up their menu and nutritional information online and make my choice before I get there. That way, I'm not swayed by the photos in the menu or the delicious descriptions for items. Americans are deceived by restaurants because, the things we THINK are healthy, are SO not!! My go-to choice at most chain restaurants is a sirloin steak. If it comes with two sides, I get double veggies.

3. Emotional eating. HATE this. Put signs on your fridge and in your cupboards that you have to look at that ask "WHY ARE YOU EATING?" or something like that. I've thought about doing this many times because I find myself just looking in the fridge for something, even though I don't really want anything.

4. Saying no when there's a smorgasbord in front of you. Potlucks, work, parties - they all are a diet killer. We get caught up in the moment of whatever is going on and eat mindlessly because, well, we like food!!! Assess the spread and decide what you REALLY want to try and have a little.

I spend more time than I care to admit talking to myself and talking myself OUT of eating things I shouldn't. I stood in the candy aisle at the gas station on more than one occasion telling myself, "You don't need that!!". I think the insanity of saying it out loud for others to see is beneficial....lol.

If you know of one area where you're really weak when it comes to eating, focus on that. If you can't NOT get McD's fries because you love them, then avoid McD's and go somewhere else instead. If you eat when you're bored, take up knitting or something that keeps your hands busy while watching tv or waiting for you kids at an event. Small changes make lasting changes in my book!!

Good luck!!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Who here has a food addiction? What have you found helpful in controlling it? I feel so lost sometimes.

It's not for everybody but something to consider. I'm not sure I agree wholeheartedly with 15, because lack of a plan is planning to fail, but here's what clicked for me:

Are You a Compulsive Overeater?
    Now that you have found Overeaters Anonymous, you may want to make sure our program is right for you. Many of us have found it useful to answer the following questions to help determine if we have a problem with compulsive eating.

1.Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
    2.Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
    3.Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat?
    4.Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
    5.Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
    6.When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
    7.Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
    8.Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
    9.Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
    10.Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
    11.Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages?
    12.Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
    13.Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
    14.Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
    15.Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?
    Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions? If so, it is possible that you have, or are well on your way to having, a compulsive eating or overeating problem.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm a major food addict and an emotional eater to boot.

I'm relatively new at this, but what has worked really well so far for me is:

1) Planning out everything I'm eating in advance. I try to plan out at least the day, but (if you look at my diary right now) I try to plan out most of the week. By planning ahead, I know where I sit as far as my numbers are concerned and therefore I can ask myself "How badly do you really want that__________ (fill in the blank)". It really makes me think about whether I'm eating my emotions or if I'm actually hungry for something else. Plus, if I really am hungry, I can make a better choice (fruit, veggies, etc.) that will fill me up without ruining all the hard work I've put in to stay on track.

2) Exercise. I'm doing 30DS right now but even just taking a walk has helped me because exercise relieves so much stress which makes me less tempted to eat emotionally!!! Even when I've had a long day at work and I'm dreading putting in the Jillian Michaels DVD or getting on the elliptical, I feel so much better afterward that I use this past experience to motivate myself...and it never fails!!!!

3) I set my food diary at 1200 calories. Am I actually eating 1200 calories? Probably not. It's probably more like 1400-1500 because I taste things as I'm cooking and I'm not always perfect at measuring my portion sizes. But it also acts as a cushion because when I see the numbers in the red, I don't freak out as much because I know I'm still most likely at a deficit and I'm still going to be losing something.

Best of luck!!!!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had a weird revelation while eating at Dunkin Donuts this weekend. (Yeah. I know. :ohwell: ) While munching on my Boston Kreme donut I realized I instantly was taken back to happier days as a child when my father would bring home donuts from the bakery next to the factory he worked at. Then I began to think about all my trigger foods. Pizza, donuts, pancakes. They all have very strong ties to the few happy family times I remember as a child. (Not to poo-poo my parents. They did a wonderful job considering the hand they were dealt. I am eternally grateful!)

I think, for me anyway, the root of my food addiction or weakness for certain foods is tied to a desire to get back to those few times when my parents expressed their affection and celebrated family by allowing us to communally gorge on crappy food. Donuts and pizza remind me that my parents cared about me and wanted me to be happy (if not healthy).

Once I realized what was going on subconsciously the donut didn't quite taste the same but the memories became a little sweeter.

(Edit for crappy run-on sentences)
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump