Going out for drinks..

Options
Hey :)
I'm invited to go out and have some drinks with friends tonight. I don't really like to drink alcohol due to dieting, but I also hate to have to justify myself if I don't. Do some of you know that issue? What do you usually drink if you go out?

Thanks for your help! :) Kirsten

Replies

• amyjen321
    Options
    I typically have a gin and tonic. A typical gin and tonic is around 120 cal, but if you substitute half the tonic water for soda water, you can save a couple calories there. Don't forget the twist of lime. :)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bacardi and diet whatever you like

mount royal light with water and several lemon slices

gin and diet sprite (my go to drink) with a lime slice ( I call it bathtub gin in my head)

vodka and whatever diet soda or sugar free redbull (fairly popular in Wisconsin)

or....go on getdrunknotfat.com

I feel that they are not a competitor with mfp since they only talk about alcohol. They have a nice chart.
  • Kirsten2304
    Kirsten2304 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!
    In Germany, they don't serve diet sodas (except for diet coke) or diet beers in bars, unfortunately. :/
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have this issue, I'm just not a drinker even when not dieting and it often ostracizes me. If I need to drink in order to not be anti social ill go for a shot of vodka or a ultra light beer, both clock in at around 60-70cal per serving
  • rtjenny
    rtjenny Posts: 51
    Options
    Glass of prosecco or gin & slim line tonic. Generally the rule of thumb is the lighter the colour the spirit the less calories it contains. So generally I will avoid dark rum, tia maria, amaretto etc (all the ones that I really like!!!)
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!
    In Germany, they don't serve diet sodas (except for diet coke) or diet beers in bars, unfortunately. :/

Ah! Your in Germany! Now that made me laugh. My friend's mom lives in Germany and she gets way into the Oktoberfest kinda stuff back here in the USA. She loves different beers, taste testing them, and she also loves to workout.

I'm not sure where she got the mount royal light idea, but it's basically whiskey, water, and she adds lemons as she goes along. She asks when they refill her glass that they leave the old lemons in and add a new one with each drink.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Mine is hard liquor or red wine or white wine ,, i don't drink beer because of high content of sugar,calories & carbs

drinking alcohol is fine for the healthy blood circulation and healthy heart but in moderate like once a week or once a month or once a year
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I went out Saturday night and did not want to drink to much so just alternated a drink with a diet coke.
  • I take hard drinks and Will not avoid drinks because of dieting but will take them on the rocks with lot of ice and keep the intake low. Well thats what i do, i may be wrong....
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good quality vodka, soda water and a fresh lime however if you don't want to drink don't.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Just say, 'I'm not drinking tonight.' You don't have to justify anything. You are an adult and it's your choice.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A dry wite wine like chardonnay
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    wine.. or vodka lime and soda water
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    A dry wite wine like chardonnay

Actually red wines are just as low in calories as whites.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to drive. "not for me thanks, I'm driving" *jingles keys* :smile:

(ed) and stick to fizzy water
  • Kirsten2304
    Kirsten2304 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! :)
    White wine might actually be nice since it's also very hot today. A lot of people here drink white wine mixed with sparkling water, which is very refreshing and low in calories (I think a 250 ml glass contains about 150 ml wine then).

Couldn't take "driving" as an excuse because I'm going everywhere by bike :wink: One glass of wine and then sticking to nonalcoholic drinks might be the best plan for me tonight :smile:
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well hell if you're biking everywhere make it a glass a wine and a vodka chaser :). A nice red is good too. Red or white typically the drier you can tolerate the better.

A simple rule of thumb is mainly any distilled liquor is better then fermented when it comes to calories. Where most people get n trouble with weight is the food they eat while drunk and their self control is inhibited.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I don't typically drink much or at all. The last time I had drinks with friends, I had water. But it's easy because they don't care. If I felt the urge to drink, I'd have something and drink it slowly. The mixers with hard alcohol make it a lot worse then the alcohol in itself.
  • HunterTrouble
    HunterTrouble Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic drink. Alcohol makes me thirsty so this keeps me from drinking too fast.

I tend to go with white wine mixed with club soda. It stretches your calories farther than hard liquor (you get more to drink) and still tastes good.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink, don't drink. Just go and enjoy the conversation. Or don't. You're a grown-up. You don't owe anybody an explanation.