Umm still the same pants size?

Options

Replies

• chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shape and from what I read about pears is that you lose in your upper body first, and the hips, butt and thighs last.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    When I first went pant shopping after losing weight I dropped something like 2 or 3 pant sizes going from a 30 to a 26. Then there was a long period of losses that still wouldn't let me go down a full size. Finally probably 20 lbs more lost and I was in a 24 comfortably to wear in public. Now I'm into a 22 and it happened fairly quickly compared to the 26 to 24 shift. I think everyone is different especially since we don't call store our fat in the same places.

Edit:

It also doesn't help that one size 22 is not the same as another brands 22. :/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am convinced I'll never be able to buy new pants. I REFUSE to buy the same size I have now or larger so I will be wearing these same pants for the rest of my freaking life. My pants aren't even the tiniest bit looser yet.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am convinced I'll never be able to buy new pants. I REFUSE to buy the same size I have now or larger so I will be wearing these same pants for the rest of my freaking life. My pants aren't even the tiniest bit looser yet.
    LOL. All I have are stretchy pants and/or leggings. I'm just so tired of muffin top. I probably don't want to know what size I really ma in pants that button.
  • maleona
    maleona Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the group feed back. I feel encouraged. I thought I could change my pant size when I lost 10 lbs but nothing changed. I did squeeze into my old 16 jeans for a while but I could never eat a meal....... I'll keep up the pound a week (frustrating in itself) and see what the end will look like. Hanging on to the end of my rope.
  • FruitSalad76
    FruitSalad76 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What happen to me is I am the same size but all the legs are so big on me now. I have a big low stomach from having kids so my legs a losing fat faster then my stomach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What happen to me is I am the same size but all the legs are so big on me now. I have a big low stomach from having kids so my legs a losing fat faster then my stomach.

Ugh yes lol. I was still wearing my 18s after 30 lbs lost and could probably have fit one more leg in each opening. It was ridiculous. I think 15 of the 23ish lbs I still want to lose are in my stomach/hips area too, and maybe 2 in the legs...
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to monitor your body fat %? Losing a bunch of weight is great... but if it's a lot of muscle loss due to a high calorie deficit and not enough strength exercise... your body fat % could actually go up.

Also, you might be in the same pants size... but they may be fitting better. Not as much muffin top, for example? I'm still in the same pant size too, my hips just won't cooperate.... but I do see that they are a bit looser in the thighs and waist.

ITA. If I focus on cardio and lose pounds my size and shape don't change much. If I focus on weights I lose inches but not many pounds. I'd rather lose inches because the other option was leading me down a path to being skinny fat.
    Also, I lost weight from areas that I didn't expect. I *wanted* to lose from my belly and love handles. Turns out my body wanted to lose from my upper body a lot more. Maybe you've lost inches all over and it's just not quite as noticeable as if you'd lost it mostly in your core.
    I know it's disheartening but keep moving right ahead. We all have to wait it out and see what our bodies do and how they change.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

YES.

Except for the having kids, bit. All the fat I have left to lose is on my lower belly, and I know when it finally starts to shift, I'll lose several pants sizes really quickly.
  • FruitSalad76
    FruitSalad76 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thats what I am thinking will happen.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on MFP that you go down a pant size about every 30 pounds.

not really
  • itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the amount lost v.s. the sizes lost is directly in proportion to the amount you have to lose.

The less you need to lose, the more you'll notice.
    Example:
    1) Girl needs to lose 15lbs to go from a size 6 to a 4.
    2) Girl needs to lose 40lbs to go from a size 20 to a size 16.

The smaller the sizes get, the less weight needed to shift between them. Also, if you haven't started strength training, I HIGHLY recommend it. It really helps reshape your body so the inches come off...that really changes your sizing.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I'm down about 15 lbs now and my pants don't even feel the least bit looser so I understand that feeling. I have noticed my breasts have shrunken though and my top is falling to one side. *sigh*
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had a yoga pants thread that explained this phenomena exactly but the mods unjustly nuked it.

In seriousness, the bigger the size you start with, the more lbs you'll have to lose between sizes...like a 24 to a 22 is a much bigger weight drop than a 10 to an 8, and it all depends on how you carry your weight. Don't worry, it will happen and before no time you'll be posting about how annoyed you are that you keep having to buy new pants.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I had a yoga pants thread that explained this phenomena exactly but the mods unjustly nuked it.

In seriousness, the bigger the size you start with, the more lbs you'll have to lose between sizes...like a 24 to a 22 is a much bigger weight drop than a 10 to an 8, and it all depends on how you carry your weight. Don't worry, it will happen and before no time you'll be posting about how annoyed you are that you keep having to buy new pants.

This.

When I was a teenager I dropped 65 pounds to go from a 12 to a 8. Now I've dropped 15 to go from a 10 to a 6.

Also strength training works wonders. WONDERS.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that often the first size we go down is the size we're wearing. In other words, many people try to squeeze into a pair of jeans as long as possible before going up a size, so maybe you HAVE dropped a size, but now those pants fit like they were meant to. This was definitely the case for me...it was frustrating that I had to lose so much before being able to go shopping, but it was nice not to have the muffin top anymore!
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It could be a change in body shape. I was wearing 12s and one 14, now 30 pounds lighter my pants are all FAR too big, one pair fell off my bum when I was chasing my son through a parking lot, but none of my old size 10s from 2010 fit. I'm thinking it may be a rise issue, but don't want to spend more on clothes as I have some nice jeans if I can ever get back into them!!

I do wish the change wold hurry up already!

I definitely didn't go down the size I was wearing, though. I hate right pants! I can button and zip a few of my size tens, but they are far from wearable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that often the first size we go down is the size we're wearing. In other words, many people try to squeeze into a pair of jeans as long as possible before going up a size, so maybe you HAVE dropped a size, but now those pants fit like they were meant to. This was definitely the case for me...it was frustrating that I had to lose so much before being able to go shopping, but it was nice not to have the muffin top anymore!

THIS.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Pants can still fit but it doesn't mean that you wouldn't fit in something 2 sizes smaller either.

I didn't change sizes for what seemed forever, I mean my 18 pants were getting loose but still fit, then one day I went to try new ones on and I fit in 14s just fine. I still fit in those 14s but fit in the 8s I bought 3 months later too. Sizes really don't vary that much when you think about it, and you've probably lost a size or two without noticing.
    This ^^^The same thing happened for me!
    I also have some really stretchy jeans, but when I really look at them I can tell they are too loose. They still "fit", but I am also fitting into 2 sizes smaller. I have lost about what you have. I think that things don't "fall off" until maybe about a 50 lb loss (depending on your shape as well).
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options

This.

When I was a teenager I dropped 65 pounds to go from a 12 to a 8. Now I've dropped 15 to go from a 10 to a 6.

Also strength training works wonders. WONDERS.
    I love your dress! And what kind of strength training do you do? Do you follow a program?