Overnight Oats???

Options
Hi All,

Have heard a few people talking about "Overnight Oats". My questions are:

How do you cook them/make them?
Are they tasty?
What can you add to them?
Are they low calorie?

I'm getting bored with my Weetabix in a morning but need a low calories quick breakfast to eat at my desk :-(

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• RachelaT90
    RachelaT90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you just soak them overnight then heat them in the morning- there will be instructions on the pack.

I like them as a heavy breakfast that will keep me fuller for longer, you can add bananas, raisins, jam, sweetener.

Obviously if you add a lot fo jam that's going to make them not as good for you so i usually go for sweetener and banana :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Have heard a few people talking about "Overnight Oats". My questions are:

How do you cook them/make them?
    Are they tasty?
    What can you add to them?
    Are they low calorie?

I'm getting bored with my Weetabix in a morning but need a low calories quick breakfast to eat at my desk :-(

Thanks in advance!!
    1) add yogurt, milk, and oatmeal into a container and shake to combine. Add what ever flavorings you want. Ive done brown sugaf maple syrup, apple cinnamon, chocolate peanut butter, banana strawberry, pb and jelly, nutella banana, etc. Just pull it out of the fridge and eat it cold
    2)yes
    3)see #1..but basically, whatever you like in your oatmeal. I add flaxseed into mine so its a bit thicker
    4) depends on how much you make and what you add. I use pint jars and use 1/2 cup each: greek yogurt, milk, oatmeal. It runs about 370 cal but i use full fat yogurt and 2% milk. You could do low fat etc, or make a half reecipe
  • kraftylady891
    kraftylady891 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Skinny Overnight Oats in a Jar

Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 jar • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 243 • Fat: 10.6 g • Carbs: 35.4 g • Fiber: 8.5 g • Protein: 6 g • Sugar: 12 g
    Sodium: 94.7 mg

Ingredients:

1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy)
    1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies!)
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    4-5 drops NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
    pinch cinnamon

for the topping:

1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)

Directions:

Place all the ingredient in a jar, shake, cover and refrigerate overnight. Add your favorite crunchy toppings such as nuts, granola, etc and enjoy the next day.
    You can add or remove items, just add or remove calories.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've just started making Overnight Oats....

Google it,there are tons of recipes.

I made some with unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon,greek yogurt,almond milk and chia seeds for this morning!:smile:
  • dangernene
    dangernene Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I won't rehash the basics the people above have helpfully put, but I just wanted to mention an accidental flavour I discovered that I can't get enough of.

I was going to do apple sauce and cinnamon, but I'd run out of cinnamon, so I used mixed spice (you know the kind you get in hot cross buns) and it was AMAZING. It kind of tastes like Christmas. Totally satisfying.

Also definitely use chia seeds. I've never been satisfied right up until my lunch break before. Those little things are amazing!
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    they are very good, and endless in flavors...you can basically put anything that sounds good in them, and they come out good. The only thing i haven't cared for is pomegranite. Something about the texture made them kind of turn my stomach.

That said, i dont think anyone has mentioned...these are eaten cold. They are closer to a yogurt type of snack than an oatmeal snack, despite the name.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I really like them. Nice for the summer when you don't feel like hot porridge/oatmeal. I make mine with yoghurt rather than milk cause I don't like milk much. I put a tablespoon of chia seeds in. I would warn you against putting banana in the night before - it can go a bit brown and mushy - I would put the fruit in the next morning if you're going to add fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I did it two days ago for the first time. I used a 6oz greek yogurt cup (strawberry favored), 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, and 1/3 cup of reduced fat milk. Just left it overnight in a pyrex container. It turned out fine, it was very filling to say the least (took me a while to eat the whole thing but it kept me full for 4.5 hours), great consistency, taste was ok but I'm thinking maybe it's just not my thing, I got to find a way to make it more chocolatey or something...
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. I cheat a little bit and use the BetterOats OatFit brand of instant oatmeal. I add 1 serving of vanilla yogurt and some chopped up fruit. Usually ends up being 200-300 calories per bowl depending on what I add. I eat this at 6 am and am usually good until my morning break at 10:30!
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    bump
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    1. The recipes already posted are good starting points. Put in whatever you like in your hot oatmeal. You don't "cook" them per se, the oats soften from being soaked in milk (or yogurt)
    2. They are definitely tasty, but a bit different because they are eaten cold
    3. Personally I've added blueberries, bananas, dried cranberries. ground flax seed, cinnamon. Add anything you like. I sweeten with maple syrup as I don't like sweeteners.
    4. Being low calorie is dependant on what you choose to put in them.
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    There are several recipes on the Pilsbury website for them.

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/overnight-oatmeal/cd71fb39-ef29-4428-8be1-e74fc80a564d

I've just started making it and it's really good. I don't like oatmeal and thought it was yummy. My super picky 8 year old even begs me to make it! I made it with milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips and fat free vanilla yogurt (not Greek) yesterday. It even smelled like a chocolate chip cookie!
    The total calories were 244 and fat was 5 for a serving which was plenty of food.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting for my chai seeds to turn up and will be trying it over the next few days - I found this site, which has a few recipes for ideas.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

edited for spelling :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I won't rehash the basics the people above have helpfully put, but I just wanted to mention an accidental flavour I discovered that I can't get enough of.

I was going to do apple sauce and cinnamon, but I'd run out of cinnamon, so I used mixed spice (you know the kind you get in hot cross buns) and it was AMAZING. It kind of tastes like Christmas. Totally satisfying.

Also definitely use chia seeds. I've never been satisfied right up until my lunch break before. Those little things are amazing!

The US actually doesn't have "mixed spice," although I have often wonder why there are so many blends of seasonings on the market (taco, Italian, Cajun, etc.) but not a sweet one. YOU GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

The US actually doesn't have "mixed spice," although I have often wonder why there are so many blends of seasonings on the market (taco, Italian, Cajun, etc.) but not a sweet one. YOU GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK.

That sucks :sad:
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I thin they are gross.... Too gummy for me. BUT I have found the new Fiber One cereal that is 80 cals. for 3/4 cup AND the best part is they have chocolate. So I buy a box, divide it into baggies and then I have a quickie breakfast OR a late snack when I really really want my chocolate
  • Cclye
    Cclye Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hmm, i just started eating oats..but instant. I just add hot water, covered it, wait for 5 min before I eat it. I normally, take it before i go to work, then 1 hr later i still take something else for my breakfast at the office i.e sandwich, I just love breakfast.

Now, I plan to eat at nite for my dinner. I this good, I don't know.