Do you continue to weigh in during maintenance?

Options

Replies

• TeamDale
    TeamDale Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yes. I deen to stay on track even in maintainence.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, I record my daily weight in a paper journal. I only log new lows on MFP so that my friends don't have to congratulate me on the same pound over and over again. I give myself a 5 pound range to bounce around in.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite at maintenance but my thought is once you step away from the scale and stop using it, that's when the pounds start creeping back on.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I weigh in almost daily and see my weight fluctuate by a pound or two here and there. I've turned off the MFP notifications for my wall, though. Like another poster, I got tired of seeing the same pounds/ounces "lost" each time. :)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily and get upset if I wasn't where I thought I should be. SOOOOO my trainer took my scale away from me and now I only see it every week. NOW I can see a difference and I am not so focused on the weight part and can focus on the health part with the weight loss as a benefit. Try it
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for two years and I only weigh in once every month or two. Measurements are more important to me at thos point. In the last 6 months I have not lost or gained a pound, however my measurements are still going down.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been at maintenance now for approx 3 months. My target weight was 65kg (143lb) and I currently sit at 60kg (132lb) . I allow myself up to a 5lb gain before I take action. I continue to weigh weekly.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on weekly once basis.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes I still weigh every day. I know myself, and I know that when I stop weighing myself, it's a slippery slope. Since I don't have to "face the music" on the scale, I am too lenient with my diet.

I give myself a 5lb range. When it starts getting to 3 or 4lbs over, I really grab a hold of my diet and amp up the workouts. Usually I lose a 1 or 2 lbs during the week, and gain them back over the weekend.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I actually thought I was in maintenance mode when I joined MFP a few months ago, and ended up losing 12lbs. I do weigh in at least once per week to just monitor things, although I sort of feel guilty getting congratulated by MFP friends for the little bits of weight I lose here and there if I happen to be down! I am hoping to be up 5-6lbs of muscle in the near future.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yes. I'm doing an experiment right now where I weigh and record every day. It really does help with coping with the daily/weekly/monthly fluctuations, which for me can be up to 5 lb either way. I figure, as long as the average trend remains the same, I'm good :)

So far it looks like I'm sloooowly gaining the weight back :( But I'm still within the range I gave myself and I promised myself not to change any of my maintenance eating habits for the first 3 months of recording stuff like this. Plus, I really have been lazy about gym.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In the past I never did. I lost 30 lbs in my early 20's and then 51 lbs in my 30's. Both times I was on a diet "plan" of some sort and both times I just went back to normal life when I felt thin enough/healthy enough/comfortable enough.

It was pretty easy to tell I wasn't gaining by how my clothing fit and what size I would purchase whenever shopping. Both results lasted me for many many years.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and start logging again if I reach my maximum acceptable weight. My "starting weight" snuck up on me, and by the time I realized that my clothes were getting snug, I had a lot to lose. My goal is to never need to lose more than 5 pounds again, so I set my "max" weight about 3 pounds heavier than what I typically weigh now.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely as this is a lifestyle for me. I don't ever stop keeping track of many of the variables.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I still weigh once a week (officially count once a month). I do also go by how my clothes feel. If they start to feel tight I know I need to start weighing and measuring foods more often rather than eyeballing the portions.,
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Generally, I can tell where I'm at by how I look without clothes on and how my clothes fit. I am small enough that a pound or two really does make a visible difference (at least it does to me). With that said, I do step on the scale at minimum every two weeks to ensure I'm not disillusioning myself.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Generally, I can tell where I'm at by how I look without clothes on and how my clothes fit. I am small enough that a pound or two really does make a visible difference (at least it does to me). With that said, I do step on the scale at minimum every two weeks to ensure I'm not disillusioning myself.

ETA: I still weigh and measure my food most days; weekends not so much!
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday so I can notice trends. I do not record on MFP though because I hate those messages that say I lost X number of pounds because it's just normal weight fluctuations from one week to the next
    You can turn those notifications off
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    At least bi-weekly. You want to MAKE SURE you are actually maintaining, right?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Or do you just go by how your clothes fit?

Do both. Weigh in often enough to spot any trend upward, or downward if you're the sort who can unintentionally lose weight. And monitor body composition by paying close attention to how your clothes fit.

I developed the beginnings of a muffin top in my first year of maintenance, even though I hadn't regained any of the weight I'd lost. That was the cost I paid for slacking off on strength training while ramping up on cardio.