aches and pains

Options
Hello I used to run everyday a few years back but since then have given up - on sunday I went on my first run in a long while and I ache - as expected.

My question is when should I run again!! I have had it in mind to run every other day which would mean today but I am still very achy - its only muscle aches nothing serious but should I wait till its less achy or just push through!!!

all advise welcome

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    first, is it pain or is it soreness? The difference to me is that pain is from the bones but the muscle aches would be soreness (as per my definition). If you are feeling sore, feel free to go and run again. Usually with soreness I feel better within 5 minuets of starting my workout again.

Typically it is adviced to take rest between workouts. Specially if it is intense workouts. Might i suggest looking into c25k if you're getting back into running. Some slow getting back into it would definitely be better than just jumping straight into it.
  • Purplemonster5
    Options
    its definitely soreness - when I go to move etc, just like a pulled muscle but I dont know how much to do or how much is to much
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Agree for the most part with Taunto.

However in reality pain can have both pain and soreness, and most often pain leads to soreness.

It is important to know the distinction between the two, so you don't hurt yourself further.

Pain is usually a stabbing or jabbing feeling, and usual signifies that something is wrong, if it persists you should seek medical attention.

Soreness on the other hand is usually a "dull" feeling, that can start right after exercise or can start days later and can last up to a week of so.

If it is soreness and it doesn't feel too bad (seriously limiting movement) it is usually encouraged to continue exercising as that can actually help to alleviate the feeling (pumps more blood to area). Massaging the area has a similar effect. But the best cure for soreness is rest, a day or 2 depending on how you feel.

How much you should do? I couldn't tell you, I don't know how much you did before and don't know the type of shape you're in. Like the previous poster said Coach to 5k (c25k) is a good program for beginners or people who have not workout in a while. You can google it, it tells how much to do, and when to do it. You can also repeat weeks if you didn't complete the goals or don't feel strong enough to proceed, I actually think a lot of people tend to repeat weeks.

I would also encourage you to just generally read up on running for beginners, knowledge is key, it is also important to take measures to avoid injury (google! get a lot of different sources). And listen to your body!

These are just my thoughts and suggestions, not medical advice.