Listen to your body or push through?

Options
Because of health issues (Lyme Disease), I hear a lot of people telling me that I need to "listen to my body" in regards to my workouts. I generally do try, but sometimes I have to wonder to what extent I'm supposed to take that.

I can understand listening to your body for a day or two. If your body is saying, "No! I need to recharge!" then give it a day or two to recharge, right?

Well, what if your body is yelling this for two weeks straight?

Stress is something that sets off my condition. Over the last month my stress levels increased to the point where last week I just pretty much felt like crap. I only hit the weights on one day (Wednesday) because Friday night my entire body shut down...quite literally...pain, fatigue, weakness....luckily I was with a friend who managed to get me home.

I haven't made it to the gym since then.

As of today I feel like I'm back about 80%. I told my trainer yesterday that I may take this entire week off of the gym to try to get my strength back (I'm still coaching my daughter's cheerleading squad, so I'll still be getting some exercise in). I was a little surprised that he was so proud of me for that...at what point am I just supposed to say, "Hey! I have goals and sitting on my *kitten* isn't going to accomplish them! Listen up, body...I'M the one in charge!"?

How do you always know when you have to listen to your body and when you have to push through?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different for each person. I would say that if you are unsure, just try to do some low-level stuff and see where that goes.

On the "go out and do it" side of the argument, the longer you stay off, the easier it is to talk yourself into taking more time off. And extended breaks tend to set you back more than just working out less frequently or at a lower intensity/duration.

OTOH, just saying " OK, get off your butt and do it", when the body isn't ready for can be a loser's game as well. All the willpower in the world isn't going to help if your body is not up to the task at hand.

Unfortunately, since each situation is different, you have to learn that for yourself. Again, I would recommend taking workout "nibbles" if you are unsure of your physical condition. It should be apparent fairly quickly whether or not your body is ready.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree with Azdak. Each person is different. But the longer you wait to feel better, the harder it is to get going again.

I suggest doing something low intensity and see how you feel. If you feel better, bump it up. Or you can try something high intensity until you can't do it anymore. Just because you can't finish the workout doesn't mean you failed, you still tried. That is a way to find out if your body is ready. But you need to keep moving as much much as you can.

Sorry you have to go through this. Good luck to you.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    listen to your body. i think there is a difference between pushing through when your MIND says "i can't" (this is when you should push) and pushing through when your BODY says "i can't". if your body is literally shutting down and you are feeling pain, you need to give it a bit of a break. I agree with others who say maybe try something a bit lower intensity in the meantime. :smile:
  • Epyhon
    Epyhon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good low intensity workout that you turn up or down depending on how your body reacts. I agree with all that say the longer you get away from working on your goals, the harder it becomes to restart. You're close to your goal and not losing too much ground is important.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've had a Humpty Dumpty happen a number of years ago and while I am happy to still be here I am not quite the egg I used to be. Last time I "pushed through" I ended up spraining my ribs (which was really annoying and took a couple of months to heal). Needless to say I started listening to my body more.

What happens when you push through? Is it something that you regret for days (or months :grumble: ) or do you actually feel better? If it could go either way, I would try very hard to learn to distinguish the first type from the second so you know when you should push and when you need to let it alone.

I also agree with some of the previous posters that a lower intensity option may be helpful for the times when you are ready (mentally) to do something but aren't quite up to it physically.