Not making calories

Options
I'm having trouble making my calories, I always come under. But I'm never hungry. I workout quite a bit and I don't put in my weight training exercises which means I'm even further under what it says. I'm just worried that I will not eat enough and do more harm than good.

What should I start eating to make those calories that isn't particularly filling? I could start having snacks in between my meals but I just don't know what to snack on.

Thanks!

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Start out making your snakes something simple, like a Clif Bar. Eating way less than you should will have the opposite affect you think it would and you may even gain weight. Try healthy things that are a little more calorie dense during your regular meals. Like try actually using extra virgin olive oil to cook your eggs or on your salad rather than a fat free spray or dressing.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Milk is pretty high in calories.. berries are too and they are great for you!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Add lean protien to your veggies--it is fairly calorie dense, and helps you grow more fat-burning muscles.

Add little bits of cheese to the appropriate foods--calcium is always good.

If you are not hungry and want calories, drink fruit juice. It gives you fluids and insures your body does not think you are in Starvation Mode.
    :drinker: (water, or juice)
  • GinaKiss89
    Options
    Sunnee, what are you eating now? As a younger woman, your body has different needs than us older folks. How active are you? Are you a little under or way under? If a little, I wouldn't worry unless you are feeling tired or run-down. If it's way under... this is hard for some people, but consider good old fashioned "grazing." That is, eating six small meals per day. A "meal" could be a banana and peanut butter, cheese and crackers, grilled chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans. When you don't eat enough, your body thinks it's starving and hangs on to the fat. Eating small portions more often may help you get in a few more calories and it lets your body know that you aren't trying to starve it. Just a suggestion of something different to try. I have a hard time following it myself! Keep going! You can do this and be looking good soon!

Other Suggestions: Use regular dressings, yogurt snacks, fruit, raw vegetables, V8 drinks (there's lots out there now)
  • sunnee
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I eat until I'm full but I eat stuff that doesn't have a lot of calories (veggies and meat) and at the end of the day I have all these calories left to eat so I freak out and eat like 800 calorie dinners which is no good. I'm going to try hard to break them up into multiple smaller meals like you said and try to graze. I am pretty active. I usually spend somewhere around 1-2 hours a day doing some kind of exercise (which is why I have problems getting all my calories) and I walk everywhere. I am also insulin resistant due to a medical condition so I generally don't drink fruit juices (I just eat the fruit) because they like to add all kinds of crazy sugars to them, but maybe I can find an all natural juice that I like. I might start adding some kind of nuts as well.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    A handful of nuts (almonds, etc.) are calorie-dense, as is peanut butter. Cheese is good. Some people find it easier to drink their calories if they're not really hungry. Milk, as someone mentioned, works, as does making your own smoothies with whatever stuff you like to throw in - fruit, honey, protein powder, peanut or almond butter for cals, etc.

I sometimes have this problem, and I find that if I have several small snacks throughout the day, I'm not left with a whole bunch of cals to eat at night. Good luck!