POOR GIRLS CAN GET FIT!

Options

Replies

• ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Why are people reacting so negatively? Everything she said was absolutely true. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. If you think eating real food is too expensive, you're over complicating it.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't believe many said "too expensive, but "more expensive"
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    Normally I would agree, but you're assuming that "poor" people are wasting their money elsewhere. I am broke and currently cannot afford food or bills or new clothes or a haircut or anything people normally spend money on. This post was just really rude and all it did was make me feel worse about my situation because all anyone does is see it as an excuse. I CANNOT AFFORD TO EAT, IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE, IT'S THE TRUTH.

Like someone else said, check your privilege.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "Healthy food is SO EXPENSIVE" - uh no. Stop. If you think Special K and Kashi bars are the definition of health food... They aren't. Those foods need to be eaten in moderation and should not be a staple. And Why don't you skip McBurger Hut and go to Walmart. But stay the heck away from pre-made breakfast and dinners. Find and reach for canned beans, tuna, sardines, tomatoes... Apples, oranges, banana, grapes... Chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean beef... Frozen mixed vegs.... Fresh onion, garlic, lettuce, salad mixes, celery, carrots, bell peppers... Eggs, low fat milk... Honestly it's about what you stop getting so you can start getting foods that will really bring your body health and in turn you'll see real results.

I find SO MANY clean food recipes and I'm inspired everyday to try a new healthy meal with a new fresh fruit or vegetables. There are so many out there and each have their own way of contributing to your health. Again, you don't need to spend money on healthy recipe books or magazines, there are sooo many online. (YouTube and Pinterest)

Check your priorities. Instead of shopping every weekend for clothes, i spent that time on money on foods to keep me healthy and happy.

And finally, it is not about having the time. It's about making it.

I would love feed back from others on how they manage to stay fit and healthy without spending a crazy amount of money.

*Disclaimer: this is my own personal advice from my own personal experiences. I am not a dietitian, no health expert etc.*

Are you kidding me????? I'm glad you were able to stop shopping to devote the money to eating healthy. Most people can't just reassign their rent and mortgage money for healthier food. Get a clue.

And no, fresh produce is NOT cheap, especially in some places where it's hard to get. I can get a frozen Healthy Choice meal for $2.50 when it's on sale. Banquet meals are usually $1 a piece. Tell me how that's expensive?

I get what you're saying and yes, working out can be free with the things you mentioned. But no, eating "healthy" (and "clean," which, face it, is what you're implying) is by no stretch cheaper than cereal and pasta. You also don't need to eat fresh produce for the majority of your meals to lose weight. Again, get a clue.

edit: I don't mean to be harsh and get what you're saying. Fast food meals can be pretty expensive especially when that's all you eat. But a lot of what you wrote comes off as pretty entitled and frankly, inaccurate. I'm really happy that you are getting healthy and staying within budget, but sometimes people don't even have money for anything extra. If they don't have money for clothes shopping to begin with, they can't make that sacrifice to eat "clean." I think what you really mean is that you can't use being poor as an excuse when you really could rearrange your priorities to get fit and eat better. But if someone really is truly poor, then no, they really can't take a lot of your advice.

Say it sista!

This, and also, a person who is tight on money may not be able to afford to have internet in their home. And libraries are only open at certain times. Finding time can be especially hard if you are work 2+ jobs. I don't think people who define themselves as poor are out buying clothes and then lamenting about how much money they have left over.

You want to make an argument that being poor is not an excuse to be unhealthy. It's not. There are ways to do it, but the words you use can come off as offensive to people who are having a hard time with money. They are not buying clothes and pinning desserts on Pinterest. If you want to help, offer some suggestions that really are possible to do for free without money (or internet or TV or anything else that cost money) and don't assume people are buying things they don't need.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Why are people reacting so negatively? Everything she said was absolutely true. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. If you think eating real food is too expensive, you're over complicating it.

Because someone who is truly poor is not "shopping every weekend for clothing." Yes, one can eat REAL FOOD on a budget. However, that real food might be canned, frozen, commercially grown, etc. That's not what the majority of people on here mean when they say "real food." They mean grass fed, free range, organic, etc. Yes, I buy organic eggs, but only because I can get them for the same price as the non-organic eggs in the grocery store. I don't buy meat any more because I can't afford organic, free range, etc. and not because I go "shopping every weekend" as the OP suggested, but instead because I have to pay for things like rent, utilities, etc. I also don't buy organic produce because I simply can't afford to pay an extra dollar for everything I buy. The fact is, that non-organic is always cheaper where I live and farmer's markets are twice the price. Always. I'm so sick of this self-righteous BS on here.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I know that some people are in really tough situations, however the suggestions in the OP apply to a lot of people on tight budgets. I hope that anyone who isn't able to get healthy food on their current budget, or lack of it, looks into local food banks, which often emphasize healthy staples, and food stamps. There is assistance out there in many places.

There isn't a whole lot of evidence that organic, free range food is actually better for you, so why worry if you have to get conventional produce and meat instead of organic?

I lived in a neighborhood when I was in college where it wasn't safe to go for a walk, due to a pack of feral dogs and the possibility of getting shot. I exercised indoors, figuring that if guys in jail could stay fit, so could I.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    OP, ignore the various forms of butthurt and nitpickiness; your point is valid.
    There are always exceptions to the rule, but in general you can eat a healthy (not same as 'clean', 'organic', etc.) while being cost-comparitive with a junk food diet. Many <air quotes> "poor people" use cost as an excuse for not eating healthy. I know firsthand but I was one using that same excuse. Technically, yeah, I could buy crappy cold cuts (e.g. bologna for 99 cents/lb) for less than boneless/skinless chicken breasts (e.g. $3/lb), but when I started focusing on units prices, I realized that much of the "cheap" junk food was as expensive or more so than the "healthy" foods. Those "cheap" chips or cookies may be $3-4/lb while the seedless grapes are $2.50/lb. Yeah the bologna is cheaper than b/s chk-breast, but there's nothing wrong with chicken leg quarters! 5lb bags of those are readily available at Walmart for ~$1.29/lb! A little more than the cheap bologna but WAYYYY healthier! Common fruits/vegs (e.g. apples, bananas, pears, tomatoes, lettuce, baby carrots, etc.) are readily available for $0.49-$2.00/lb in local discount grocery stores; how many junk foods can make that claim?
    Additionally, many "poor people" who claim too broke to eat healthy will still buy fast food on a regular basis. For the cost of 2 happy meals to feed 2 small kids, I can easily make an equivalent meal at home for 4-6 people (e.g. ground beef, bread, bag of fries, 2 liter soda, etc.) Once I started thinking that way, a whole new world of possibilities opened up for me.
    Every though I am no longer poor by any criteria (I ain't a '1 percenter' either), I still think this way when deciding what to eat daily.

Hint: $0.06/oz is roughly $1/lb; use that in the stores and you'll realize that many of the so-called "cheap" junk foods or fast foods are $3-$6/lb, or even more.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    I feel like things like this assume you are already well off enough to be able to afford fast food or going shopping all the time. I get irritated when I read stuff like this. I read money-saving tips like "buy second-hand clothes" "skip gourmet grocery stores and eating out." I don't DO that stuff. I don't have money to. I am spending more money now that I get healthy food. I live in Michigan where a lot of stuff is shipped in over half the year because of the weather. Forget organic stuff because there is no way in hell I'm affording that. I can afford some super-greasy whole chicken on the cheap at Walmart, but I wouldn't consider that healthy. (their meet is horrible.) A half gallon of organic milk is 6 dollars at my grocery store. A gallon of regular old milk is $2.59. There's been weeks in the past where we've a freaking loaf of bread and pack of lunch meat to last us all week. My mom is disabled and I work part-time and go to school full-time and we just barely make ends meet. I don't have a gym membership. We don't have cable or any of the luxuries. We fall back on our mortgage, power, and water bills before. The Internet has been shut off before. Half the time we don't have car insurance. Thank GOD I own my car or, sorry for my language, but we'd be up **** creek without a paddle. So telling me to cut the luxuries is useless advice and insulting.

I agree you don't need to be rich to be healthy. But I know for a fact that even shopping deals, low-cost stores (Aldi, Walmart, etc.), farmer's markets (only an option for three months of the year!), and buying subpar produce and meats still costs more than when I was buying frozen dinners because my grocery bill is a lot bigger than it was. I work out at home. But what about the people who live in little apartments in a big city where there is no yard to exercise in and no room in an apartment? Or heaven forbid, it might even be too dangerous to exercise outside if you can only afford to live in a bad area of your city. You can't say these things when you don't know people's financial and life situations. If someone tells you their situation, you could make suggestions based on what they tell you but this post isn't helping anyone.
  • Heartcorecuteness
    Options
    Can I just add my two pennies worth!

I'm currently on the dole. After giving £100 to my dad each month for rent, I'm left with £100 for everything else, such as travel, going out, mobile phone bill, and food.

FOOD DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE.
    The most expensive foods I found to be were meat, cheese, cereals and ready meals. Don't buy any of that crap. You don't need extra fat from cheese. Most cereal is sugar-coated crap. Ready meals are high in salt and fat. You can get protein from non-meat sources. All types of beans, dhaal, diary, yoghurt, eggs, vegetarian mincemeat, tofu, and tempeh contain protein.

However if you want to buy meat, go to the local butchers or farmers market if possible. Or just limit your meat a bit. Buy a whole chicken and make it last a week. Generally I would never put processed ham or chicken slices in my mouth. They don't last long, and they don't really resemble meat!

HAVING SAID THAT, DON'T BUY THE 'EXPENSIVE' FRUIT AND VEG!
    In my experience, this includes berries, seaweed, avocado, dried fruits, and packaged nuts. Flaxseed, chia seeds and manuka honey are luxury items that you don't necessarily need. They're marketed to health freaks who have a lot of time and money to buy a million ingredients to make one vegan meal, so they can post it on instagram and feel good about themselves.

Porridge oats can be bought in bulk, and can be made up with hot water if you're REALLY poor (I've been there!)

My weekly shopping list also included leaf spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, beetroot, oranges, cucumber, broccoli, all types of canned beans, milk, and bread (or make your own- flour is less than £1 over here) All of those items are versatile, and cost under £1 from the supermarkets. I would spend a tenner a week.
    I exercise at home every day because I can't afford gym membership. I really like Harvey Walden's 'fighting fit, fighting fat' because I could do it in my room at uni. Or take a walk. You don't need to live near a park or a beauty spot. Sometimes I would just walk into town and back- that took 40 minutes each way, and I could stop and rest anytime.

Just cut out the crap y'all. Good luck :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Poverty versus "tight cash situation." The distinction is important.

True poverty, really not having enough money for any food at all is more common than most of us know. I do volunteer work at a local food pantry serving 20 counties and tens of thousands of people. The food we give out is the food that is given to us and although much of it is produce because we are in a vegetable growing area, some of it is not very healthy and we don't have the same things week to week. Some weeks there is lots of produce to give away and plenty of lean protein in the form of chickens or turkeys, other weeks not so much.

Most people want to be able to afford food and only hit the food bank when they really need it. Three quarters of the people using this food bank come fewer than three times. But for people who do need it, it's extremely important. This food bank also supports regular Friday take-home food programs for children who may not have access to food at home over the weekend. It provides food to seniors with very little income and a need for food. It also supplies food to several hundred soup kitchens. At some point in our lives, most of us will find ourselves a paycheck or two away from empty shelves and turned off utilities. No one is immune.

Volunteer at your local food pantry. You'll get free exercise packing and distributing the food. Many employers have volunteer-matching programs where they may give you time to volunteer, bonuses for volunteering, or donate a per hour amount to the food pantry based on your volunteering.
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    I download the PDF of all of the local markets weekly add for fresh in season produce and lean meats so I can make our dollar stretch further

And dont forget fruits can be frozen!!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very tight budget and can only set aside a certain amount for food. We don't have any nearby farmer's markets or grocery stores, so I have to do my weekly shop on the same day due to travel costs. I'm actually spending less on healthy foods than I did on unhealthy foods. I buy frozen veg (nothing wrong with that) fresh fruit and chicken and most of the basics. I get exercise from walking, alot of waking which I love doing and from Youtube workout videos.
    My only problem is I need new clothes and can't afford them :happy:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with frozen. They are picked when ripest. This is really inspiring. Thanks so much for posting :) lol I can understand needing new clothes ! Haha you go!

Frozen is awesome. When buying fruits--don't buy canned though. Same with most veggies. I've heard it lowers the nutrition content. :) And haha I have to buy new clothes soon....my pants are too big! :P
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Can I just add my two pennies worth!

I'm currently on the dole. After giving £100 to my dad each month for rent, I'm left with £100 for everything else, such as travel, going out, mobile phone bill, and food.

FOOD DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE.
    The most expensive foods I found to be were meat, cheese, cereals and ready meals. Don't buy any of that crap. You don't need extra fat from cheese. Most cereal is sugar-coated crap. Ready meals are high in salt and fat. You can get protein from non-meat sources. All types of beans, dhaal, diary, yoghurt, eggs, vegetarian mincemeat, tofu, and tempeh contain protein.

However if you want to buy meat, go to the local butchers or farmers market if possible. Or just limit your meat a bit. Buy a whole chicken and make it last a week. Generally I would never put processed ham or chicken slices in my mouth. They don't last long, and they don't really resemble meat!

HAVING SAID THAT, DON'T BUY THE 'EXPENSIVE' FRUIT AND VEG!
    In my experience, this includes berries, seaweed, avocado, dried fruits, and packaged nuts. Flaxseed, chia seeds and manuka honey are luxury items that you don't necessarily need. They're marketed to health freaks who have a lot of time and money to buy a million ingredients to make one vegan meal, so they can post it on instagram and feel good about themselves.

Porridge oats can be bought in bulk, and can be made up with hot water if you're REALLY poor (I've been there!)

My weekly shopping list also included leaf spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, beetroot, oranges, cucumber, broccoli, all types of canned beans, milk, and bread (or make your own- flour is less than £1 over here) All of those items are versatile, and cost under £1 from the supermarkets. I would spend a tenner a week.
    I exercise at home every day because I can't afford gym membership. I really like Harvey Walden's 'fighting fit, fighting fat' because I could do it in my room at uni. Or take a walk. You don't need to live near a park or a beauty spot. Sometimes I would just walk into town and back- that took 40 minutes each way, and I could stop and rest anytime.

Just cut out the crap y'all. Good luck :)

Good input. However, nuts, berries, and avocados aren't "luxury items you don't really need" depends how healthy you want to be. Avocados and nuts are a great way to get the healthy fats you need. And berries are great as well. just depends.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    But what about the people who live in little apartments in a big city where there is no yard to exercise in and no room in an apartment? Or heaven forbid, it might even be too dangerous to exercise outside if you can only afford to live in a bad area of your city.

I've done that! I had to exercise in place. The important thing is that there are many options for exercising in a small space including high impact (jump rope), low impact aerobics, a step, dance, strength training with body weight exercises, yoga, and those are only the things that I did.
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    These forums are interesting. In one post, folks will blame the poor for being poor and fat. Then in an entirely different post get mad at someone who is saying "hey this can be done on a budget and here is how I am doing it, please offer additional tips and suggestions." This forum world cracks me up.

Anyway, my two cents is that you should buy things on sale and plan your meals around those things. Kroger is always running specials on frozen veggies, $1.00 a bag. I will stock up on those, so that I will always have frozen vegetables around. Same thing with meat & cheese. Stock up on strawberries right now, they can be frozen and used when they are not in season. I have found that since I have started doing this, It doesn't hurt as much to buy some of those expensive healthy food items.

Portion control is key as well. Instead of going back for the second piece of meat, go back for more vegetables or eat a salad before your main course. You will fill up on less and the food will take you further.

Also, keeping your meals simple helps to cut down on cost as well. All you really need is some veggies, starch and protein right. Little salt, pepper etc. and bam you have a well-balanced meal.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    These forums are interesting. In one post, folks will blame the poor for being poor and fat. Then in an entirely different post get mad at someone who is saying "hey this can be done on a budget and here is how I am doing it, please offer additional tips and suggestions." This forum world cracks me up.

Anyway, my two cents is that you should buy things on sale and plan your meals around those things. Kroger is always running specials on frozen veggies, $1.00 a bag. I will stock up on those, so that I will always have frozen vegetables around. Same thing with meat & cheese. Stock up on strawberries right now, they can be frozen and used when they are not in season. I have found that since I have started doing this, It doesn't hurt as much to buy some of those expensive healthy food items.

Portion control is key as well. Instead of going back for the second piece of meat, go back for more vegetables or eat a salad before your main course. You will fill up on less and the food will take you further.

Also, keeping your meals simple helps to cut down on cost as well. All you really need is some veggies, starch and protein right. Little salt, pepper etc. and bam you have a well-balanced meal.

I love kroger. I always stock up on the frozen veggies when they are 10 for 10!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't shop at walmart... ew. The best place is a local health food store or co-op! By natural and locally grown produce and meat! organic milk etc. also if your town has a farmers market, definitely check that out!

You are kidding, right?

Everything. EVERYTHING is more expensive at a health food store than Walmart, Aldi or any other supermarket. We have a huge farmers market in our town that has only locally grown produce. Everything there is also two or three times the price of supermarket stuff.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Don't shop at walmart... ew. The best place is a local health food store or co-op! By natural and locally grown produce and meat! organic milk etc. also if your town has a farmers market, definitely check that out!

You are kidding, right?

Everything. EVERYTHING is more expensive at a health food store than Walmart, Aldi or any other supermarket. We have a huge farmers market in our town that has only locally grown produce. Everything there is also two or three times the price of supermarket stuff.

When I lived in a terrible part of Oakland, the saving grace was the fantastic Latin Market which had a huge variety of great produce at much better prices than the supermarket. I'm sure it wasn't organic but I couldn't afford organic anyway in those days. Consider Asian markets too, if you live in an area that has them.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OP, I think that what you are trying to accomplish in this thread is a great thing. Providing and asking for suggestions about how to stretch a budget and live a healthy lifestyle despite income restriction is a noble goal, and that is what I took away from this thread.

Here are some of the things we do:
    We grow our own food as much as possible. This can be anything as simple as small potted plants in the kitchen windowsill, to vegetable gardens, to family sized horticulture or agriculture, fishing, hunting, etc.
    We trade and barter skills/foods/labor. It takes some networking footwork, but it pays off.
    We cut down on utility costs as much as possible in various ways. (For example, we don’t have central air. We heat and cool rooms individually.)
    To cut down on transportation costs, we carpool, bundle trips, delay gratification, ride bicycles, and walk as much as possible.
    We live a simple lifestyle. Things like hair salons, new clothing, make-up, jewelry, brand name items, decorations for parties, fancy electronic devices, holiday shopping trips, cigarettes, cases of beer, dishwashers, etc. are simply not part of our lives. We actually live the “reduce, reuse, recycle” lifestyle as well.
    We buy in bulk and process or freeze what won’t be used immediately.
    We learned to eat leftovers. This is such a simple point, but so much money can be saved by simply eating leftovers instead of letting them sit in the refrigerator until they mold. We were really bad about this and it took some discipline to change the pattern.
    We eat what’s in season and what’s on sale. Not what we’re in the mood for.
    No expensive gym or club memberships. Planet Fitness is only $10 a month, which is a steal compared to some places. I haven’t actually been to a gym at all this year and I’ve lost 30 pounds, mainly riding my bike and walking.

These suggestions won’t work for everyone, but they have gone a long way in helping us.

I have had plenty of experience with living in poverty and it sucks... a whole friggin' lot, but I agree, it should never be used as an excuse to not take care of one's health as much as possible.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Poverty versus "tight cash situation." The distinction is important.

True poverty, really not having enough money for any food at all is more common than most of us know. I do volunteer work at a local food pantry serving 20 counties and tens of thousands of people. The food we give out is the food that is given to us and although much of it is produce because we are in a vegetable growing area, some of it is not very healthy and we don't have the same things week to week. Some weeks there is lots of produce to give away and plenty of lean protein in the form of chickens or turkeys, other weeks not so much.

Most people want to be able to afford food and only hit the food bank when they really need it. Three quarters of the people using this food bank come fewer than three times. But for people who do need it, it's extremely important. This food bank also supports regular Friday take-home food programs for children who may not have access to food at home over the weekend. It provides food to seniors with very little income and a need for food. It also supplies food to several hundred soup kitchens. At some point in our lives, most of us will find ourselves a paycheck or two away from empty shelves and turned off utilities. No one is immune.

Volunteer at your local food pantry. You'll get free exercise packing and distributing the food. Many employers have volunteer-matching programs where they may give you time to volunteer, bonuses for volunteering, or donate a per hour amount to the food pantry based on your volunteering.

Exactly. This thread is "Girls tight on cash can get fit." OP doesn't know poverty if she even suggests the laughable possibility that shopping for clothes over buying food is EVER an option. Throwing the word around like those of us who are among the richest in the world and are writing from a computer inside a house is a slap in the face to the definition of poverty.

It's not about the very reasonable suggestion that people low on expendable income can make healthy choices. It's about slinging "facts" while liberally applying damaging stereotypes.