adding a protein shake?

Options
I'm sure this question has been posted before and i tried to quickly go through them but I saw mixed opinions...

I'm wondering if I should add a protein shake to my days and if so which one? Will it slow my weight loss from the added calories? I would either have to go over on calories, or increase my workout intensity (which i should do anyway)

I would only be drinking it post-workout. I would use water, not milk

Some background:
24 year old female, lost around 30 pounds since January 2010. Progress has slowed a bit, although I have not been as strict as I was in the beginning.

i'm looking to lose another 15-20 pounds. I resistance train at least 3 times a week, and do cardio almost every day (running or elliptical)

I would probably get either the Myoplex Light (chocolate) or GNC Whey Protein (Chocolate caramel)

any thoughts?

Replies

• mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like designer whey. Its tasty and pretty low in calories! although i havent tried myoplex or the gnc brand.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I use Iso Whey... i put it with milk, greek yogurt, frozen berries and if i have some i use fresh strawberries.... =)

Iso Whey can be used as a meal replacement too if you want. And all protein shakes should be drunk within 20 mins of finnishing your workout... =)
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post....
  • John8188
    Options
    If you are trying to build more muscle then you might want to add one. But try eating higher protein food first. I use soy milk with my morning oatmeal. That adds some good protein. I also like to eat a Boca burger now and then. It's better for you then a protein shake.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do chocolate Shakeology; 17g of protein, 140 calories, and a ton of healthy ingredients. It's good as is mixed only with water and ice, and I love the recipes that go with it to keep the flavor from getting old, hope this helps you out!
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sorry a little more info...

I'm consistently around 20-30 grams of protein under my goal (around 90-100 g).. The only way I reach that number is if i have 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast, but lately, eating eggs has made me nauseous, so i've been avoiding them, especially on days that I have classes.

i'm more concerned about it making me gain weight... i had someone tell me that it would... any thoughts on this?
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You could always tweak your other macronutrients so the shake does not put you over for the day. Ultimate Nutrition IsoCool-92 cal/23g protein.