Do I count net calories or consumed calories?

Options
Hello :smile:

I've been getting a bit confused as to which count I need to follow... Do I count my net kcals or consumed kcals?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ELVISDEAN
    Options
    count what u eat if you are COUNTING...so many DO NOT count on here...I do not...and have lost all me whale blubber
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Net.

At the end of the day, your net calories should say whatever your goal calories are, and your remaining calories should say 0.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP's guided goals, go by net calories.
  • beckiwf
    beckiwf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm confused with the net calories

example My goal is 1450 a day - i've eaten1435 today - 533 exercise ( from fitbit ) - net 913

it's saying i need to eat the 537 left ( which is basically when i've done in exercise )

Is that correct? I understand you need to eat more when exercising, but not all of it? I'm also weary fitbit may not be 100% accurate and i dont want to overeat.

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, I'm not the brightest :D
    Becki
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat back exercise and if I was going to eat those calories it would definitely not be all of them. There's just too much room for error in logging food and determining exercise calories burned.
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    Its not a stupid question at all and loads of people ask it, try a search of the forum using key words like "exercise calories".
    I'm not sure about fitbit but many exercise tools do over estimate the calorie burn so to be on the safe side I've seen people say only eat half your exercise calories back.
    I'm sure others who use these tools will be along to give you more accurate info.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

example My goal is 1450 a day - i've eaten1435 today - 533 exercise ( from fitbit ) - net 913

it's saying i need to eat the 537 left ( which is basically when i've done in exercise )

Is that correct? I understand you need to eat more when exercising, but not all of it? I'm also weary fitbit may not be 100% accurate and i dont want to overeat.

Becki

How did you arrive at 1450? Is that the amount you would have to net each day to lose, say, 1 lb per week? If so then eating 1435 and then exercising 533 would put you UNDER your daily goal. In theory you would lose MORE Than 1 lb per week than if you had a net of 1450. But at some point it becomes physically difficult and unsustainable to go well under your target net calories.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Becki

You are not stupid. Don't put yourself down like that, you don't deserve that.

and yes, the idea is to eat up the calories you burned with exercise because the original numbers were based on your daily activity level which did not include exercise
  • beckiwf
    beckiwf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1450 is my goal, I added some extra calories, I think 533 calories for exercise sounds a little too much anyway, I'm sure fitbit's not perfect to be safe i think i'd only eat back half.

That makes sense sharon, My level is set to lowest at the moment as i don't usually do much, however I'm set to do 3 45 min sessions per week, which isn't my normal activity level should i up my activity level just yet?
  • kmruse
    kmruse Posts: 19
    Options
    beckiwf

The calories you are given is the amount you need to eat to lose the weight goal you set at the beginning each week. e.g. my 1250 is what I need to eat everyday in order to lose 1 pound a week which is what my goal is.
    If I do exercise and don't eat the calories for that value then I am not eating enough to fuel the body to lose that 1 pound a week.
    Therefore in order to lose the weight you need to eat (if possible) until you calories say 0 or as close to as you can it in order for you to lose your goal amount.
    If you don't you may not lose as much weight as your body may go into starvation mode and hold on to all the calories you eat.

Hope thsi helps

Karen
  • kmruse
    kmruse Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello :smile:

I've been getting a bit confused as to which count I need to follow... Do I count my net kcals or consumed kcals?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

The calories you are given is the amount you need to eat to lose the weight goal you set at the beginning each week. e.g. my 1250 is what I need to eat everyday in order to lose 1 pound a week which is what my goal is.
    If I do exercise and don't eat the calories for that value then I am not eating enough to fuel the body to lose that 1 pound a week.
    Therefore in order to lose the weight you need to eat (if possible) until you calories say 0 or as close to as you can it in order for you to lose your goal amount.
    If you don't you may not lose as much weight as your body may go into starvation mode and hold on to all the calories you eat.

Hope this helps