Going river floating...what should I wear?

Options
2»

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If your going on the Illinois, been there, done that. It was fun and no you dont need a life vest. The water isnt very deep and it normally doesn't run very fast.

I wore a pair of shorts, a bathing suit, sunscreen and maybe a hat or bandana. You can wear flip flops since most of the time you will be in the water, but there are places where you can get out and sit on the shore to have lunch or just relax.

The only thing I would caution, if your bringing electronics or food, put them in a plastic bag. The river does have tree stumps in it and sometimes you will get snagged and flip over.

Yep, we're headed to the Illinois river in Tahlequah. Good to know that I won't need a life vest! I'm definitely doing the plastic bag thing!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just went tubing over the weekend!! Tank tops are great for covering up, watershoes are good to if you can find them, I usually just wear sandals with a buckled ankle strap (don't bring too much or wear anything too nice because it's very possible you can loose things or ruin them!)
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sunscreen, sandals, shorts and a flattering bathing suit top that will give a decent tan line. have fun i love river floating.
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Where I am from when we say floating we mean going down the river in either canoes or large pastic rafts that hold eight people. The canoes tip but the rafts don't. it really is just a large party floating down the river with many pit stops to people watch.

Where what you feel comforatble in but easy dry stuff was a great recommendation.
  • MysticMaiden22
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I think I've decided on wearing a large straw hat, sunglasses, a tank top, swimsuit, boardshorts, and water shoes (I saw some great ones on Amazon made by Speedo). I definitely won't be skimping on the sunscreen!

And a special thanks to those of you who mentioned that others might feel how I feel and to just have fun....that made me feel better :)
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been floating several times this summer. Being self conscious and not even owning a swimsuit of any kind, I just wear a tank top and some shorts of some kind. I bring flip flops for walking to/ from the river, and put them in a small bag that I tie to my tube and go barefoot during the actual float. But it doesn't really matter, just make yourself comfortable.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Girl youre young and cute get you an adorable suit. I'd say bikini if you were going with a bunch of guys, but if you arent comfortable they make suits in so many styles.

Try onlye lane bryant, hips and curves, old navy, or google sexy plus size swim suits, You'll find a ton!

Get a cute pair of glasses, a cute floppy hate, and have fun! PS dont forget to get or do a cute pedicure.
  • MysticMaiden22
    Options
    Girl youre young and cute get you an adorable suit. I'd say bikini if you were going with a bunch of guys, but if you arent comfortable they make suits in so many styles.

Try onlye lane bryant, hips and curves, old navy, or google sexy plus size swim suits, You'll find a ton!

Get a cute pair of glasses, a cute floppy hate, and have fun! PS dont forget to get or do a cute pedicure.

I forgot all about looking at Lane Bryant and Old Navy! Thanks!