Am I eating too much?

Options
I have been following the food diary to track what I'm eating, I was just wondering whether i am doing it right because I feel like i am eating too much to lose weight. Should I adjust it, so I eat less? I set my goals for losing 1kg per week and my estimated weight loss is at 0.6kg. Please help

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You kind of need to tell us how much you are eating in total calories. Also, what is your height weight, age and workout routine? And can you open your diary?
  • lorrainegetsripped
    Options
    Oops.. sorry. Ok lets try again: I'm 24, female, 1.73m, 59kg. I generally work out 4-5 times a week for an hour doing combo of weights and plyometrics, some days mostly cardio (running). I have only been doing this for just over a month now, I just wanna be sure I am moving in the right direction. My diary is public now.. Also I haven't lost any weight up to now. .. must be that muscle-fat thing
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    really it looks like you are not eating enough, your total for the one day I looked at was 1200 calories, and you had exercise that had boosted your needs to 700 more calories than that...... not seeing a weight loss could be due to your body refusing to burn caloires because it is getting too little food?

I'm no expert by any means, but I know 1200 is generally the recommended calorie minimum for someone who is NOT exercising and is mostly sedentary
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oops.. sorry. Ok lets try again: I'm 24, female, 1.73m, 59kg. I generally work out 4-5 times a week for an hour doing combo of weights and plyometrics, some days mostly cardio (running). I have only been doing this for just over a month now, I just wanna be sure I am moving in the right direction. My diary is public now.. Also I haven't lost any weight up to now. .. must be that muscle-fat thing

Are you eating too much.. hell no, lol. Are you eating too little, most likely. Also, there is NO muscle fat thing. You eat cut fat or gain muscle. One is anabolic and one is catabolic.. two different metabolic processes.

You should probably be eating more around 1750 calories a day. I would suggest changing macros to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Also, if your goal is to tone up, I would suggest concentrating a bit more on weight training (like 3-4 days) and then 1-2 of plyometrics.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You rarely log food, not sure how you determine exercise calories but your burns look pretty high on a lot of things and it really isn't necessary to log 2 minutes of diving, or a couple minutes of walking.

I'd suggest buckling down, honestly logging your food so you know what you're really eating and getting a HRM to determine what you burn for dedicated exercise.
  • HittinMyGoals
    HittinMyGoals Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with ^. First figure what you are going for. Just lose weight? Tone up? Build some muscle? All of the above?. Either way I would say you aren't eating enough. No expert here just that i'd weigh in.....no pun intended:)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Might want to check on your most common entries to see if they're accurate. For example, you have 100g of oats coming in at 63 calories a few days, and 1 cup of oats at 147 calories. These are way off, and you eat this very frequently. (Edit: I guess you could be measuring after-cooking and including added water weight. Might want to get the actual oat amount if possible.)
  • lorrainegetsripped
    Options
    Thanks I will reset as you suggested. I am pretty sure about my burns. I log the small amounts on gym days because I do a lot of weight training which I don't seem to find the amount of calories burned on this database. I have this open all day and log every single thing that goes into my mouth.

As for the oats thing: that seems to be a mindless entry as its a 100ml measuring cup so actual weight i suspect to be closer to the 40grams... thanks for that one. :/

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You aren't finding weight training under strength training with a calorie burn because the burn is minimal. The idea of strength training is to build muscle not to burn calories.
  • lorrainegetsripped
    Options
    Thanks mokey, as I am new to this... Just to be clear.. are you saying I should eat more or less?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You might want to rethink your goals. Losing 2.2lbs per week is usually reserved only for the very obese. That you lost over a pound in a week, also extremely ambitious for someone who is at the bottom end of the NORMAL bodyweight range (nearly underweight)--5'8" and 130lbs.

Most likely you are not wanting to lose "weight", but to lose FAT...that is to alter the composition of your body towards lower fat and greater lean body mass. To do that, you need to lean more towards weight training and away from extreme calorie deficits. Based on your current stats, if you WERE to achieve losing 2.2lbs per week, you'd end up doing damage to your metabolism and get farther and farther from your goal of looking trim (and toned?), because you would be losing so much lean mass at the same time. However, if your goal is to look very, very skinny, this would also harm that goal as well, b/c the damage to your metabolism will cause you to be dieting for the rest of your life in order to try to maintain it..

Just IMHO.