Creating a Diet and a Workout that works for me!

Options
Hello. I'm 25 years old and 216lbs. I'm only 5'2 so as you can imagine I'm a stout individual. I have always been "dense" even when I didn't look it. I played soccer, swam and did cheer-leading so I have some THUNDA THIGHS! I have been trying to lose weight for about 6 months now. I fell off the bandwagon and I am now trying to pick up the pieces. I walk (3.0/incline 6) in the mornings before work about 3 times a week for 30 minute periods of time. I also try to do fun activities like zumba and doonya dance twice a week during my lunch breaks at work. I'm a picky eater and so is my fiance- he won't even eat fish and I'm trying to force myself to eat more of it. I literally only eat starchy veggies (potatoes, corn, carrots) but I'm open to meal replacements or smoothies which tend to go down easier. I really need some encouragement and some original ideas of how to boost my workouts and calorie burn and eat better. I have a treadmill at home and do not go to the gym (cost prohibitive) and I live on the third floor so jumping around isn't going to work at home. Would a gym even be better for me? Would I want to leave the house when I feel so gross? Would love to hear about some weekly menu choices and BIG calorie burn workouts.

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can tell you what's been working for me. I eat a lot of veggies and lean meats (chicken, turkey and fish) and I eat brown rice, whole wheat and whole grain breads and pastas, and limit sweets and junk food. You will have to figure out your calorie goal based on you, as what I eat may not be right for you. As far as exercise, if you can find a gym that's fairly cheap (mine is $10 a month) it could be of great help to you. I also ride bike, go for walks, and use hand weights at home. I just try to stay as active as I can even when I'm not working out. Good luck to you!
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program for anyone and running is free (that's what got me hooked) Its not easy to get started but you will find yourself looking forward to it and GLAD you did it EVERYTIME you fight the urge to say " I don't feel like it today"

As for the food, learn to cook, experiment with things you like and add things you think you might like to try. I keep it simple and prep meals on sundays when I'm watching my calories.

Find creative ways to cut calories - I replace milk in my cereal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk - can't really tell the difference.

Cook with non stick pans in order to reduce or remove any butter or oils used to cook.

Portion out what you are going to eat in single serving containers, so you don't over eat.

Good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    IDK about big calorie burns, but I went to the gym at 5'2" tall and 228lbs. I was so gross! I've only lost about 35lbs, but my body is looking so much different. Even hubby is amazed at the changes.

what shocked me is that with all the pretty people there, I ended up being close friends with the hot 26yo trainer! So close in fact, that when he moved 2,000 miles away, I was one of the few people he stayed in contact with :D He actually told me last week that I have done so well that he thinks I should think about being certified as a trainer!
  • jillpoo22
    jillpoo22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. 71 lbs lost! Something is working.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    start with the basics... get your calorie intake where it should be (worry about type/quality of food later) and get some exercise that you enjoy (worry about type, intensity, duration, etc) later.

Once you do that, then we can get into the other things. Gotta walk before you can run.
  • fryxgal
    fryxgal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of finding the right diet and exercise routine that works for you; everyone is different. I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and some lean meats. I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I never eat/drink "diet" foods. Personally, I think diet foods only make you gain weight. I try to vary my exercise with swimming, walking, zumba, and hiking. Basically I like to exercise with different friends and family, so I do whatever they are up for. One think I did was just start considering what is actually good for my body. If that donut isn't good for my body, don't eat it. I know it's hard to find motivation! I've been looking for years. I think you have to make small changes and keep doing it over and over and over again.
    The good news is that you can find what works for you and you CAN be successful!
    Keep up the good work!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well what I do would mesh with your lifestyle, but here's what I do...

At school and during my work study, I have access to a microwave. Lunch comes from home and is more appropriately sized than it was. My exercise consists of having a food service job on the weekends (and some weekdays) and replacing car miles with bike miles. Speaking of, biking as transportation has a ridiculous calorie burn for its impact on your spare time with a minimal to positive impact on your budget.

If you're sensitive to shifts in your macros and have an on/off riding schedule, things will get fun for a while. Just learn to match your macros to your activity level and you'll be fine.
  • jillpoo22
    jillpoo22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing well tracking what I eat and how much I exercise but when I do not see results its hard to stay hopeful. I'm currently on a 1200 calorie goal which I do sometimes find challenging- like on weekends when I want to kick back a few beers with friends. I've heard of people doing a one day a week no carbs- Any success with this?
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Really, I've just been eating under my calorie deficit. I've lost 15 pounds so far. THAT'S what works for me.
    I'm going to lose a few more pounds before I start getting on a work out regimen as well.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've been doing well tracking what I eat and how much I exercise but when I do not see results its hard to stay hopeful. I'm currently on a 1200 calorie goal which I do sometimes find challenging- like on weekends when I want to kick back a few beers with friends. I've heard of people doing a one day a week no carbs- Any success with this?

You just have to DO it!

I haven't seen results on the scale in about 6 months, and I still haul my booty into the gym 5 days a week. I work so stinkin hard that I have other gym members commenting about how my trainer is training me like a man. Take progress pictures, they tell the truth!

8213431311_eecd2df7b1_z.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8681874126_9b55567ef6_z.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I weigh within a few pounds of the same in ALL these pictures. Should I be upset and quit?