When should I stop dieting?

Options
Sometimes I feel like I'm at a good weight and don't want to lose more, but at the same time I still want to lose more. When should I stop I feel addicted to losing weight and I also do want to start eating more and gain a ton of weight. Especially since I have been eating worse recently.

Replies

• cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    Speak to your Doctor to help you set a goal.

Look at BMI and Body Fat charts.

I started with a height/weight chart and set it for the high end then I evaluated every 1 pound loss after that until I felt I was at a weight I was comfortable with and it wouldn't feel like I had to diet to maintian it.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try to maintain for a bit and see how you feel. It takes time to get used to the "new you". Then you can re-evaluate.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are at a good weight, then you should get into maintainence mode. Look up what your TDEE (Total Daily energy expenditure) is. To get the best possible TDEE, I suggest going to two or three different reliable sites and finding an average from those. Once you find it, don't jump right in from what you eat now to your new number. I would make minor adjustments so your body acclimates well and you don't gain a bunch of weight back.

If you feel like you still have weight to lose, then focus on your diet and exercise. Make good, healthy choices in your food and put in lots of exercise to finish off the little bit of weight you may have left to lose, and then focus on getting to maintanence in a healthy and slow-paced way. Getting to maintainance can sometimes be just as difficult as losing weight becuase your body has to now get used to consuming more food and staying at a constant weight (but keep in mind people usually fluxuate 2-5lbs daily!)

I would go by how you feel as well. If you feel happy with where you are at, focus on maintaining. If you feel like you have a few pounds left to lose, then continue on your weight loss. As long as you are continuing down a HEALTHY road where you are eating enough and giving your body the nourishment it needs (food and excersie-wise), then you will be fine on your journey.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You feel like you're at a good weight, but feel that you're "addicted to losing weight". Sounds like now is the time to stop.
  • adyhos
    adyhos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what I've been doing the last 8 months, "dieting" but a lifestyle change. Eat healthier, and exercise/be active every day.

I actually just changed my goal to (like 5 min ago) "maintain weight", I'm still going to exercise and do weights like I have been.

In making this change I have to keep in mind that the extra calories should be healthy natural foods, not a doughnut, or a soda for example.

Just a few things to keep in mind :) we can do it! although I am a little nervous ;)

GL!
  • iwanttogotodere
    Options
    By the way I'm 5'6 and weigh 97lbs, but I honestly don't look thin..... so I feel like I should just see how much I can lose before I'm unhappy about it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    By the way I'm 5'6 and weigh 97lbs, but I honestly don't look thin..... so I feel like I should just see how much I can lose before I'm unhappy about it.

You should talk to a doctor about it before you do permanent damage to yourself.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The chances of you being 5'6"/97lbs and NOT looking thin are about 0%.
  • iwanttogotodere
    Options

I mean I look thin but not like sickly or anything. Plus I have eatten more the past 4 days so I'm sure I gained weight.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 15.7. The start of underweight is 18.5. There is a problem here.
  • iwanttogotodere
    Options
    I swear I don't look that thin... If I could post a pic I would. Plus I really don't think I should lose more weight I want to try and stay where I'm at...
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    BMI under 16 puts you in the severely thin category, meaning you at at high risk of suffering health effects associated with being underweight.

Osteoporosis

With a BMI of 16 you are likely not getting enough nutrients, vitamins and minerals, including calcium, to remain healthy. Your body requires calcium to keep your bones healthy and strong, therefore a lack of calcium puts you at risk of developing osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a condition where your bones become porous, which makes them brittle and weak. This condition increases your chances of suffering bone fractures, commonly in the hip, wrist and spine. In severe osteoporosis your bones are so brittle, coughing or falling can cause them to break.

Fertility Problems

Having a low BMI puts women at risk of fertility problems. A very low body weight alters hormone functions in your body, which potentially stops your body from ovulating and causes amenorrhea, the cessation of menstruation. Without ovulation, you will be unable to conceive. The hormonal changes from low weight may cause other side effects.

Anemia

Having a BMI of 16 can leave you feeling tired and drained, with little energy, and one of the causes of this may be anemia. Anemia is a condition where your body does not have an adequate amount of healthy red blood cells. If you are underweight, your diet likely lacks in proper amounts of iron, found in eggs, meats, green leafy vegetables as well as iron-fortified foods. Your body uses iron to make hemoglobin, an iron-rich protein which makes your blood red and carries oxygen throughout your body. Anemia can make you feel dizzy, irritable and cold.

I think you need to see a medical professional. Even if you don't see yourself as thin, you are severely underweight, it's a fact. This isn't healthy, the fact alone that you thought you needed to lose weight to get to this point is a red flag.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

^ This.

Also with those stats, there's no way you need to lose any more weight. Maybe start resistance training (if you don't already) to tighten things up, if you feel like you're still not where you want to be.
  • iwanttogotodere
    Options
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You never should have dieted in the first place - if you want to be successful you concentrate on making permanent exercise and food choice changes and weight loss will follow. Maintenance means you can eat slightly larger portions of healthy foods but you can't add junk or you will gain weight and you also can't stop journaling. If you feel you are at a healthy weight, add 100 calories a day and eat at that level for a few weeks. If you are still losing, add another 100. You keep doing this until you quit losing and that's your sweet spot as far as calorie intake goes.