snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh and also I pack my lunch every day and log it before i even leave for work, some days the night before. I have found if i eat and then log i over eat... ALWAYS LOG FIRST!!! that has seemed to help a lot. And snacks, once you buy them divide them into portions in sandwhich bags (chips, wheat thins, dry cereal, ANYTHING) it helps to avoid the binge eating for me!
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I factor in one snack while at work. I usually take Justin's peanut butter, an apple and that's it. I also have graham crackers sitting at my desk, just in case I forget on my way out to work. I try to keep it under 250 calorie wise.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with fresh fruits or veggies (unless of course your allergic).

But in all seriousness, try an apple, peach, diced pineapple, grapes, sugar snap peas, cucumber slices, raw green beans, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, plum, nectarine, pear, orange, or any other whole, fresh fruit/veggie.

A good way to decipher if it's "healthy" is to look at how proccessed it is. I'm not about to preach organic products or anything, but an apple would be a better choice than the Baked Lays chips. Try to be adventureous with the foods you eat!

I understand that occasionally you might have a hankering for that "salty snack", but once you cut it out of your diet (try replacing it with a handful of your favorite nut instead: peanuts, pistachios, cashews) you crave it about 99% less. I used to be a chip junkie and now can easily dismiss any bag of chips, including my barbeque babies.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job, and pack my lunch beforehand, including my snacks.

They are pre-packed and prelogged on MFP. So I can eat tehm at any time during my work day, but once they're gone they're gone! That way I know what I'm eating and don't have quite as big a temptation to visit the vending machines.

Also, as someone esle mentioned, try and wait to take your lunch until a little later in the afternoon. Push your breakfast forward too, if you have to.

I've noticed when I have breakfast at 7, I'm starving by 11. But if I don't have breakfast until 9 I can usually wait out lunch until 12:30-1:30.

Best of luck!
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I bring grapes, bananas, or other fruits/vegetables and put them right out in the opening on my desk. Helps me alot to stay on course.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone these are all very great ideas and I know I will get back on track, I love peanut butter and I also love most raw fruits and veggies as well so I need to buy more and substitute what I am eating for those things. I guess I get tired of some foods and then I resort back to old bad habits and that is a huge issue. I have to find things to eat that are not as bad to substitute instead of the fatty bad stuff that I have been turing to.

I love nuts and granola, and as for the fresh spinach that is a great idea, turning fresh fruit and veggies in to a salad of sorts and it taste good with some homemade dressing and some fresh lightly seasoned chicken as well. I need to get my MOJO back so to speak LOL and if any of you would like to add me please feel free, always looking for motivation and great friends to share and help.
  • happywithme12
    Options
    I too have a desk job, and pack my lunch beforehand, including my snacks.

They are pre-packed and prelogged on MFP. So I can eat tehm at any time during my work day, but once they're gone they're gone! That way I know what I'm eating and don't have quite as big a temptation to visit the vending machines.

Also, as someone esle mentioned, try and wait to take your lunch until a little later in the afternoon. Push your breakfast forward too, if you have to.

I've noticed when I have breakfast at 7, I'm starving by 11. But if I don't have breakfast until 9 I can usually wait out lunch until 12:30-1:30.

Best of luck!

I used to do this and I really need to get back to it because I did so great when I logged everything in the morning before work that way I knew what I was up against for the day.
  • imgrateful
    Options
    ...I have found if i eat and then log i over eat... ALWAYS LOG FIRST!!! that has seemed to help a lot. And snacks, once you buy them divide them into portions in sandwich bags (chips, wheat thins, dry cereal, ANYTHING) it helps to avoid the binge eating for me!
    I agree - always log then eat! And pre-portioning snacks is a great way to control portion size, which is my toughest challenge. I eat healthy stuff, just too much and too often. If you don't burn it, even the healthy stuff gets stashed away as fat. So unfair.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    my desk my only snack are what i bring

i keep to the same schedule m-f

breakfast at 615a
    almonds and a granola bar 830
    salad 1030
    lunch 12
    almonds @510
    protein shake at 8pm

i leave me wallet at home or do not bring money with me to that i dont go to the vending machine
  • happywithme12
    Options
    I don't have time to buy anything usually, thanks to the gym I go there at lunchtime so I am not eating bad stuff except maybe friday sometimes and it helps me. The issue may be that I leave the gym feeling hungry and am not eating enough afterwards so I am turning to snacks instead of something better.