What do you eat before an early morning workout

Options
2»

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat anything but once I started to I noticed an improvement in my workout. On my way to the gym I eat a homemade protein oat granola bar. So delicious and an equal balance of carbs and protein (and fat). They do have a decent number of calories but that doesn't bother me. I make a batch, cut them and keep them in the fridge. The night before I take one out, weigh it and stick it in a separate container so it's grab and go @ 4:50am.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I just drink 10g of Scivation BCAAs and some water.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana and then after I work out I have a "regular" breakfast-- either granola with almond milk, yogurt, or half an avocado with cottage cheese, usually. (Unless it's the weekend or I just completed a long run or whatever, in which case I'll cook an omelet or something.)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing for my workout and how I feel when I wake up. If I'm just going for a light run or 30 minutes on the elliptical, then I usually don't have anything other than a cup of coffee. If I'm hungry and that's still my workout plan, then I might have a banana or half of a protein smoothie. If I'm going to an early morning spin class, then it's toast and almond butter (usually one piece, but if I'm hungry then I"ll have two). I usually have something to eat after my workout too, so my intention is usually to split my breakfast in half.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    not sure if it will help you but I was told to eat 2 hours before doing any running that way you digest it better and it will not cause you any upset tums not sure if you are ok with that as you start so early
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of morning workout I'm doing. If it's 30 minutes or less, I get up, get dressed, and workout without eating anything. If it's longer than that, though, I eat half a banana (I can't eat much before a workout without feeling sick), and throw the other half of the banana in my post-workout shake. I have my coffee after the workout, too.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout. What are you doing? I love fasted cardio. It doesn't bother me at all to get up, throw on clothes and turbo fire or ellipticize or walk for an hour.

Fasted weight lifting is another story. I do notice a difference in my energy levels and my ability to lift heavier in the afternoons when I have had a good lunch. Two mornings a week, I have to workout in the mornings, though. I have to take medicine an hour before breakfast. I get up, take med, walk with a friend then head to the gym. I could grab a quick bite after the walk but is that really useful? Seems like it would sit in my tummy, undigested. I would love to hear some ideas for fueling too!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I workout that early as well....for me I do best on an empty tummy and then eat when I get home.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I workout that early as well....for me I do best on an empty tummy and then eat when I get home.

Note: my early a.m. workouts are usually cardio only, no weight lifting. Biking, run walks, etc.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until I'm done. If I eat before I workout, I feel ill. :-x

Same. Afterwards though I am ravenous.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    1/2 protein bar, and the other half right after the workout, or string cheese.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A piece of 45 calorie bread with 1/2 tbsp of pb on it
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I eat ONE no-bake almond butter oatmeal ball. Made of oats, almond butter, honey, almond chunks, flax meal. I add cacao nibs too, but that's pretty optional, I just love the extra crunch. It's too small amount of food to make me wanna york while working out -- it's only the size of a golf ball or smaller. But it's 150 calories of slow-release nourishing goodness, which is just enough to get me through my workout.

The recipe was on the MPF blog a couple of months ago, though their recipe was peanut-butter based instead of almond butter, and I'm sure would be similar in its effectiveness.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Usually a green smoothie, protein bar or shake, or a bowl of oatmeal depending on what workout I'm doing and how soon after I eat I'm doing it.
  • Ladybirdglasgow
    Ladybirdglasgow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run and do metafit first thing in the morning and can't tolerate food before either. I eat an extra slice of toast before bed the night before (around 10pm) with a piece of ham for protein and that seems to keep me going.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I drink a protein shake right after though.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i have a cup of green tea (i'm not a coffee drinker) and a couple of crackers. it's usually too early in the morning to have much more than that.