Running Shoe Advice

Options
Ok, I know everyone is different and shoes work differently for everyone, but I am hoping there is someone out there that has similar problems or just has good advice.
I have a flat and wide foot. When I use the treadmill or eliptical my feet fall asleep. They also hurt. I like to do all kinds of workouts and find that it doesnt really matter what I do, my feet will hurt or fall asleep. I feel like I could work out longer if this didn't happen. I find it hard to find a good shoe store that actually trains their staff to know what is best. If anyone could give me some advice as to which type of shoe might be good for me please let me know!!

Thank you!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has a shoe finder in their website. You enter the information about you feet, your activity, your height and weight and it spits out some recommendations for shoes in a pretty wide price range. You can even compare the fit of your current shoe with the shoe you want to buy. Pretty Nifty. I need new shoes and I'm going to try out a few of their recommendations.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have this problem on the elliptical. Check your lacings aren't too tight. Make sure you place your heel to the back of the shoe before you lace. With the elliptical, it's mostly caused by the constant pressure of the foot on the footpad though, and is rarely down to shoes. Just vary your foot placement, wiggle your feet. (I sometimes get it on the static bike too - seems to be the same cause...)

Treadmill is somewhat different, though. For that, you really do need to go get your gait checked and a well measured shoe. Go to a good running shop.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store in your town. Have them *kitten* you and suggest some shoes. The running store I went to I could even run on a treadmill in the store. Then if you can't afford to buy them there, right down the exact shoe that you would have purchased at the store and search for it on the internet...

Somehow I missed where you said you went to a good shoe store. Was it just like a sporting goods store, strictly shoe store or a running shoe store? Just curious.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mizunos! I've never even had to break them in, just lace them up and go! Go to the Mizuno website and look at the shoe fitting guide. It's interactive and it guides you to the perfect shoe for your foot. I have ordered all of my shoes this way and I have never had to return any of them for improper fit :-) I always add "Superfeet" inserts to my shoes too, that way they last forever! You can then order through Roadrunner, Amazon, Zappos or any other website that carries Mizuno and get a great deal on free shipping and returns. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store in your town. Have them *kitten* you and suggest some shoes. The running store I went to I could even run on a treadmill in the store. Then if you can't afford to buy them there, right down the exact shoe that you would have purchased at the store and search for it on the internet...

Somehow I missed where you said you went to a good shoe store. Was it just like a sporting goods store, strictly shoe store or a running shoe store? Just curious.

I have been to The Running Room before. Had them assess and watch me walk, etc. Spent a good amount of money on the shoes they recommended and still had very painful feet. Other then that I have just been to sporting goods stores which seem to be useless. I am not sure where else other then Running Room to go...
  • KeepGoingKylene
    Options
    Runner's World has a shoe finder in their website. You enter the information about you feet, your activity, your height and weight and it spits out some recommendations for shoes in a pretty wide price range. You can even compare the fit of your current shoe with the shoe you want to buy. Pretty Nifty. I need new shoes and I'm going to try out a few of their recommendations.

Thank you I will check that out!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    Options
    I LOVE Mizunos! I've never even had to break them in, just lace them up and go! Go to the Mizuno website and look at the shoe fitting guide. It's interactive and it guides you to the perfect shoe for your foot. I have ordered all of my shoes this way and I have never had to return any of them for improper fit :-) I always add "Superfeet" inserts to my shoes too, that way they last forever! You can then order through Roadrunner, Amazon, Zappos or any other website that carries Mizuno and get a great deal on free shipping and returns. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thank you I will check out the website!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    Options
    Lots of people have this problem on the elliptical. Check your lacings aren't too tight. Make sure you place your heel to the back of the shoe before you lace. With the elliptical, it's mostly caused by the constant pressure of the foot on the footpad though, and is rarely down to shoes. Just vary your foot placement, wiggle your feet. (I sometimes get it on the static bike too - seems to be the same cause...)

Treadmill is somewhat different, though. For that, you really do need to go get your gait checked and a well measured shoe. Go to a good running shop.

Ah, never thought of my laces being too tight, I have a habit of doing that! Thanks!
  • kelsieowen3
    Options
    Mizuno and Brooks both have online shoe advisors that you can input your information online and they give you some ideas of shoes to try (google mizuno shoe finder and brooks shoe advisor). Even if you were to go into a running store and have them assess your feet, there would still be some trial and error involved with finding a good shoe that you like.

In regards to your feet falling asleep, I have a similar problem. I found a thing on pinterest of all places that showed different ways to tie your shoes for different problems (like your feet falling asleep or a heel slipping). Runnersworld.com has an article with videos on different ways you can tie your shoes. I tried the parallel lacing method that's described on that website and it helped a lot. The lack of blood flow was leading to shin pain and spasms, and since tying my shoes this way I haven't had any problems.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    Options
    Mizuno and Brooks both have online shoe advisors that you can input your information online and they give you some ideas of shoes to try (google mizuno shoe finder and brooks shoe advisor). Even if you were to go into a running store and have them assess your feet, there would still be some trial and error involved with finding a good shoe that you like.

In regards to your feet falling asleep, I have a similar problem. I found a thing on pinterest of all places that showed different ways to tie your shoes for different problems (like your feet falling asleep or a heel slipping). Runnersworld.com has an article with videos on different ways you can tie your shoes. I tried the parallel lacing method that's described on that website and it helped a lot. The lack of blood flow was leading to shin pain and spasms, and since tying my shoes this way I haven't had any problems.

Thank you!