Eating for Two while pregnant

Options
This may be in the wrong category.

The phrase Eating For Two continues to be accepted as permission to chow down on whatever
you want during pregnancy.

One thing my Grandmother always said is ;

Yes you are eating for two. But the other one weighs no more than 8 or 9 pounds.
How much do you think he/she requires?

Thank you Grandma

Replies

• Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So true! ????
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    And the other one only weighs 8 or 9 lbs in the 9th month! Tried to tell my daughter that and now 80 lbs heavier than when she started she believes me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Babies take a lot more than their weight percentage of calories. So do kids, for that matter.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I was informed that I should only increase my calories by around 200 in the second trimester and 300 in the third trimester (doc told me no changes needed in the first).

That's only an apple with 1 tbsp of peanut butter...

Definitely NOT eating for 2.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    Babies take a lot more than their weight percentage of calories. So do kids, for that matter.

That's why we see so many people on here trying to lose their "baby weight" which is actually "mama fat".
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options

That's why we see so many people on here trying to lose their "baby weight" which is actually "mama fat".

Yup - Mama fat is right, and I've got it :sad:
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I was informed that I should only increase my calories by around 200 in the second trimester and 300 in the third trimester (doc told me no changes needed in the first).

This. I have heard to only increase your calories between 200-500 depending on your bodies needs, so as long as you are still eating HEALTHY, not using it as an excuse to pig out, then eat as you are hungry but no more then 500 extra calories.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who even started losing weight while pregnant after changing her diet after she found out she had gestational diabetes. Doc said nothing wrong with it as Baby was growing normally... Just said not to eat a dificiency.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

This
  • myzticsunshine
    myzticsunshine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is very very true! Too many mommas over eat while preggers. I'm sure some of these women really think they need to for the baby, but I don't see how anyone could believe they'd need to eat literally double. I'm not even sure it would be physiy possible for me to force that much down. But everyone's different, and I've witnessed a lot of moms doing this mostly just because they find it to be an opportunity to have an excuse to fat out, thinking no one can object to a preggo lady's hunger. Lol but everyone who cares about their physical appearance and health usually regrets it after the birth, when they have to work their butts off!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

True. I was pregnant with twins and was told yo add only 500calories more yo my diet in the 3rd trimester. I only gained about 20pounds and 11 pounds of that was pure babies.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

If you think of a baby as an additional 1500/day, you'll have a problem.

If you think of a baby as (mom BMR * baby weight/mom weight), there will be almost no calories added for the entire pregnancy. Have to feed the process, not just the child.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ...eating for 1.25.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Best way to lose your baby weight? Don't gain it!
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ill tell ya what this next pregnancy I will resist my cravings. I had the total wrong mentality regarding this with my first. this time around I will try and only gain the minimum amount of weight to be healthy and pay attention to what I eat and also be more physically active!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Actually with the weight of the baby, the placenta, amniotic fluid, the uterus, increased blood production, breasts, and natural fluid retention a 25lb gain or more is quite possible.

I guess I'm getting a little tired of other's making pregnant women feel guilty for eating. Sometimes that feeling of pure ravenous hunger is not controllable and perfectly normal. Combine that with being a food addict and eating is a battle. Please dont belittle a woman who is carrying life for gaining weight. It's misogynistic and takes away the true value of the miraculous task her body is undergoing.

I've started following the Brewer's diet d/t some hypertension, and although he advocates for 2600kcal, I have gone down 30 points on my systolic in 2 days and 3 points on my diastolic. I'd rather gain weight than lose my baby or my life to preeclampsia.

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    ill tell ya what this next pregnancy I will resist my cravings. I had the total wrong mentality regarding this with my first. this time around I will try and only gain the minimum amount of weight to be healthy and pay attention to what I eat and also be more physically active!

I just wanted to quote you so you knew I was talking to you when I say that OMG that baby is soooo cute!!! :flowerforyou:
  • emmamc252
    emmamc252 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    its not just "eating for 2" that makes people put on weight whilst pregant! I hate this stigma that we must have stuffed our faces with chocolate cake for 9 months.
    In my case I have penecious anemia and in BOTH my pregnancies I was very ill and had "at risk" pregnancies, 20weeks in the 1st and 7 week sin the 2nd I was told to go on bedrest, and Whilst in the 2nd I couldn't literally lie in bed all day because I had an 1 year old to run round after, I couldn't go the gym or even do strenuous housework. Add this to the worry and stress that accompanied these kind of pregnancies, the boredom of being at home 24 hours a day, especially with the 1st one when it was just me and that leads to a situation where I did overeat slightly, but more of my wieght I believe came from the lack of exercise etc.
    This time the birth (c-section) was all planned and was AMAZING! i've been working out since 6 weeks post partum and am really happy with my progress just 11 weeks PP. Last time, I continued to put on weight after the birth, WHY? Becuase DD got stuck, they had to literally rip her out of me with forceps, I lost more blood than any human being should, my sister who trained as a nurse nearly fainted, had over 100 stitches, all my insides were just wrecked (hence the 7 weeks for 2nd pregnancy) and I couldn't physically walk, kneel or pretty much move off the sofa for 8 weeks after. I would be in tears changing dd's nappies! I had to have surgery 6 months after the birth and was told next time it had to be a c-section (which was SOOOO much better than i ever imagined!) so I didn't lose weight until about 8 months PP with my 1st but quite frankly I had more important things on my mind.
    I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight and back to the gym but I didn't get fatter becuase I eat for 2, I got fater becuase of the stress and sheer overwhelming nature of my pregnancies
  • Mokey41
    Options

I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight and back to the gym but I didn't get fatter becuase I eat for 2, I got fater becuase of the stress and sheer overwhelming nature of my pregnancies

And you ate more calories than you needed. You have some legitimate excuses but it still comes down to calories in, calories out.

I find it amusing that the people who watched their weight while pregnant agree with the OP and those who gained "baby weight" are all sure it wasn't their fault.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

And you ate more calories than you needed. You have some legitimate excuses but it still comes down to calories in, calories out.

I find it amusing that the people who watched their weight while pregnant agree with the OP and those who gained "baby weight" are all sure it wasn't their fault.

/end thread