lose weight = lose hair?!

Options
Since I have been eating less, exercising more and losing weight, I have been losing a lot of hair too! It reminds me of the excessive hair loss I had after each of my pregnancies - can anyone relate, or know what to do about it?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough, that's just part of the fun stuff that happens.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you aren't eating enough, that's just part of the fun stuff that happens.

^This
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and your calories don't seem to be low so I doubt it's that. Most days are 1800-2000+

Do you know what your TDEE is?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Could be deficient in a vitamin. I had this happen to me despite having a higher calorie intake. I took zinc and vitamin d and it helped a lot.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    How's your thyroid. I lost a bunch of hair when hyperthyroid.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    eat more fat ..
  • scootinalong
    Options
    I googled it and found this on the American Academy of Dermatology website.
    Dieting and poor nutrition

Weight loss: Some people see hair loss after losing more than 15 pounds. The hair loss often appears 3 to 6 months after losing the weight. This hair loss is common. The hair re-grows without help.

Vitamin A: Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. People can get too much of this vitamin through vitamin supplements or medicines. Once the body stops getting too much vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.

Protein: When the body does not get enough protein, it rations the protein it does get. One way the body can ration protein is to shut down hair growth. About 2 to 3 months after a person does not eat enough protein, you can see the hair loss. Eating more protein will stop the hair loss. Meats, eggs, and fish are good sources of protein. Vegetarians can get more protein by adding nuts, seeds, and beans to their diet.

Iron: Not getting enough iron can lead to hair loss. Good vegetarian sources of iron are iron-fortified cereals, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, white beans, lentils, and spinach. Clams, oysters, and organ meats top the list of good animal sources of iron.

Eating disorder: When a person has an eating disorder, hair loss is common. Anorexia (not eating enough) and bulimia (vomiting after eating) can cause hair loss.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Since I have been eating less, exercising more and losing weight, I have been losing a lot of hair too! It reminds me of the excessive hair loss I had after each of my pregnancies - can anyone relate, or know what to do about it?

Check your macros. Nutrition is important.

And try a Biotin (vitamin) supplement. Biotin can be helpful.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    To stop the actual hair loss, no. Once it's started it has to run its course...could take weeks or months, kinda like after being preggs. To put your mind at ease you can go see your doc for a complete physical to make sure there aren't other underlying issues with your thyroid or being vitamin deficient. Take a good supplement and maybe eat a bit more protein in the meantime. Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would get this checked out with a dermatologist and possibly an endocrinologist. It's not supposed to happen unless you are on a really big deficit or your diet is seriously out of whack in terms of micro- and macronutrients. I had only a quick look at your diary, and neither appears to be the case. Your protein and fat are both decent, and you are getting variety in your diet. See a doctor.
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me really bad!!! I had my bloodwork done, all my levels are good, except iron. Been doing much research on it, and it all comes back to weight loss, and some say because I am low with my iron levels :(
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me really bad!!! I had my bloodwork done, all my levels are good, except iron. Been doing much research on it, and it all comes back to weight loss, and some say because I am low with my iron levels :(

Doctors are sometimes dismissive when the patient is a woman and hair loss is the only symptom. Just an FYI.
  • autumn26
    autumn26 Posts: 44
    Options
    Early on in my last pregnancy, my hair was falling out like crazy. Doctor checked my iron levels and sure enough, low. That is a definite possibility. I would also have your thyroid checked just to rule it out. Good luck!
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses! I do take vitamin & mineral supplements, although I have been suspecting I'm low in iron (really tired, too). I recently started paying more attention to my protein intake, so that could have been it too. I know that I'm 16 weeks into my significantly-reduced caloric intake and that alone can probably send a body into a little bit of shock. Thankfully, I have a lot of hair to begin with, but not for long, if this keeps up!
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did see my doctor and had blood tests done which revealed I was low in iron, so I am now on supplements. Thanks again for your responses!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It is most likely a cause from lack of the correct nutrients. Look at your macros and see where you are consistently low, and that may assist. From what I have seen people that tend to not hit their protein consistently start seeing side affects such as this.

Visiting the Dr was a very good start. Not sure that the iron will help, as I'm anemic and have never **knock on wood** experienced hair loss except during pregnancies.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the 23 pound loss so far!
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can also buy prenatal vitamins otc now. I know some women that do this just for the beautiful hair that can be the result.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    I did see my doctor and had blood tests done which revealed I was low in iron, so I am now on supplements. Thanks again for your responses!
    Glad to hear you know what's wrong now you can work on it!

A lot of people suggest thyroid first, but iron seems to be the answer more often in my experience. Quick tip, if you want to keep a semi regular check on your iron levels, give blood. OF course, that's a bad idea if they actually are low, but if they are they won't let you give anyway, so win/win!