Just starting new diet, advice appreciated...

Options
Hi, I'm Sam and I'm just starting this new diet. I feel more confident than I ever have doing a diet before. I am 22 years old and quite (read very) overweight. My wonderful (annoyingly skinny) boyfriend has told me that I need to lose weight since he is starting to find me unattractive. My parents are also worried about my health and are supportive in my want to diet also.
I feel very lucky to have such supportive people around me, but also slightly ashamed that I have such weak willpower and get so stressed when I do not eat my usual amount of food.
I would really appreciate it if anyone had any awesome tips for ignoring those cravings and imagined hunger pangs? And if there were any tips out there for not taking my stress out on other people?

Replies

• withtree
    Options
    Hi, I have had a lot of luck with the South Beach diet. I lost almost 30 lbs since Jan on it. You are not hungry and the cravings aren't too bad. It is like Atkins but healthier and, after the first two weeks, you can add fruit and some whole grain carbs back into your diet. I would recommend buying the book, it is worth it. The first half of the book tells you how and why the diet works (the book is written by a cardiologist) and the second half of the book contains delicious receipies. You don't have to count calories and, with a few modifications, you can eat out at restaurants and still find something that is acceptable on the diet. The diet works off of the glycemic index so it is similar to a diabetic diet. It re-teaches you how to eat and makes you understand that what you eat can trigger cravings. For instance, an orange or bananna is higher on the glycemic index than an apple so the higher it is, the faster the sugars hit your bloodstream, causing a spike in your blood sugar level. If you spike that level, your body freaks out and dumps a ton of insulin into your blood to balance it out, however, it usually dumps too much because it overreacts to the spike, causing you to have a sugar low, soon after, which causes you to be hungry and crave carbs and sweets. This sets you up for a rollercoaster of blood sugar/insulin levels all day. The South Beach diet keeps your level even and you don't crave as much and feel a constant and even energy level, without crashes. Good luck, we are here for you!
  • Janelle412
    Options
    I just had a baby and I'm going through the same things: imagined hunger pains and I am pretty depressed with how I look. Whenever I get hungry, I think about 3 things. When was the last time I ate? What did I eat? What am I doing right now? The last one is important because eating is like an addiction for some people, certain things trigger the addiction. For example, when I watch TV I always snack. In this case I will either get up and do something else or if it is a show I regularly watch, then I will pick up some carrots or a bag of popcorn with light butter. If you have a picture of youself when you and your boyfriend started dating, take that and tape it to the fridge and the pantry. Everytime you go to make a meal or snack, you will see it and remember your motivation. I hope these little tidbits help you as well as they have helped me. Goodluck!
  • Janelle412
    Options
    Wow! I've heard of the SouthBeach diet but didn't really know anything about it. I think you have just recruited a new member lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sam and I'm just starting this new diet. I feel more confident than I ever have doing a diet before. I am 22 years old and quite (read very) overweight. My wonderful (annoyingly skinny) boyfriend has told me that I need to lose weight since he is starting to find me unattractive. My parents are also worried about my health and are supportive in my want to diet also.
    I feel very lucky to have such supportive people around me, but also slightly ashamed that I have such weak willpower and get so stressed when I do not eat my usual amount of food.
    I would really appreciate it if anyone had any awesome tips for ignoring those cravings and imagined hunger pangs? And if there were any tips out there for not taking my stress out on other people?

Well, I see a good way for you to lost about 150-200 pounds quick.

While I would never discourage someone to lose weight for herself -- for health or vanity, it doesn't matter -- I would discourage someone from staying in a relationship where the other member of said relationship says such hurtful things.

The best advice I can give you is to be mindful of what you eat (healthy, whole foods, high fiber, protein and some healthy fat to keep you from feeling hungry) and exercise. It may take some time to adjust, so little changes one by one are the best way to go.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm following a program that was recommended by my doctor. I've been here for just a bit over 30 days, and so far have lost 19lbs, so I am excited about the progress.
    She recommends: 50% veggies at every meal, 25% carbs, 25% lean protein. Plus snacks of fruit. She recommends not going more than 4-5 hours without something to eat. Also, I drink about 12-14 glasses of water a day.
    I just started exercising when I joined, so I average about 40 minutes a day, usually walking or swimming. Things that I can manage right now, and I will add more later on when I start to get bored.

Since I started doing this, I can honestly say I never feel hungry. I always feel satisfied. Its all the ruffage for sure. :)

The last thing I want to mention is that when you feel those hunger pangs and know logically that you shouldn't actually need food at that moment, try having a big glass of water. Sometimes the hunger pangs are the body's way of saying its thirsty. - this is what my doctor said, and it seems to be true for me.

Good luck with your weightloss!
  • ezreka
    ezreka Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would not call it a diet. I eat everything I want but in moderation. Just be sure to log all food here and count your calories (this site makes it so easy!). I have lost 18 pounds and I still eat donuts, pizza, burgers, like I said everything I want. Good luck and if you want to add me as a friend you can.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I haven't subscribed to the ideas of a diet, but rather changing the diet I am already one. Coming here was a good first step. My goal was originally to lose about 50 lbs back in June and in three months I have been able to get almost half way there. Here are some of my "keys" to success.

1. Drink water. This is not to say that you should drink water rather than eating, but that you should have a water bottle available and close throughout the day. Drinking water helps the body know that it will be properly hydrated and so it will not retain as much water as it was when it thinks it isn't going to get enough. Water is essential for much of the body function and so charging up those functions is an important first step.

2. Keep track of how much of what you are eating. This is probably one of the most meticulous steps, but it is the only way to know exactly what you're taking into your body. I have been using measuring cups and a small postage scale so that I know how much to put into my food tracker. I started by just keeping track of what I was eating so that I had a baseline to work from. After doing this for a week or two, I started making adjustments to get the calories down and replaced my 'fast food' diet with more home-cooked meals. Highly processed foods were replaced with fruits and vegetables. Don't try to change everything at once or you'll go nuts and don't think you have to eliminate all the foods you love. It's more about making the foods you love more healthy and planning ahead.

3. Eat frequently throughout the day. The body's metabolism is at its best when it is regularly sustained. I have found keeping snacks such as peaches, bananas, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots, and trail mix handy to be very helpful. I eat smaller portions more regularly throughout the day. This helps keep me from going crazy when it does come time to eat.

4. Exercise regularly. You don't have to go out and run a marathon for it to be exercise. I started simple with walking and hiking. Getting the heart rate up also boosts the metabolism and burns calories. Start with just 20 minutes a day and work from there. Exercising also builds muscle which does burn more calories throughout the day than fat does. Just keep in mind that building muscle means that weight may not change as much as you might expect so besides just taking measurements on the scale, also measure your arms, thighs, and waist. This way you can see that there are changes happening in more places than just the scale.

These are the basics that have been working for me. The great thing about this is it isn't just a diet that you go on and then eventually go off of. This is about training yourself to eat right and responsibly for the rest of your life. There will be bumps in the road, but as long as you stick with it, you will see the changes in your body as well as in your overall well-being and that is what matters the most. Also, having this community atmosphere helps provide encouragement and support and advice if you hit a wall along the way.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Slow but steady wins the race.

Log your food. Eat what you want in moderation. Get some exercise and log that too. Eat your exercise calories, that way, you'll be more motivated to get to the gym or whatever. Look at it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

You are going to feel so much better about yourself and in general from the healthier lifestyle that you'll find that you don't feel deprived, you feel empowered.

Best of luck.
  • Hi, I'm Sam and I'm just starting this new diet. I feel more confident than I ever have doing a diet before. I am 22 years old and quite (read very) overweight. My wonderful (annoyingly skinny) boyfriend has told me that I need to lose weight since he is starting to find me unattractive. My parents are also worried about my health and are supportive in my want to diet also.

You've already received the 1st advice I'd have given after reading your post .... Say Adios to the boyfriend! To tell you that he finds you unattractive because you've put on weight is a sure statement that his true focus and love isn't on the person that you truly are, but whatever he sees. The rest of your family obviously are interested in having you around for awhile. Their interest in wanting you to lose weight isn't based on the size of your jeans, but on your health. That being said .... The next .... And most important issue is that you not see this as a diet. This journey you've decided to embark upon is a life changing event! No matter what eating plan you choose to follow .... Atkins, Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, Cal. Counting alone .... It is the result and the change to your health that's top priority!! Use MFP .... All of MFP!! Add friends ... Believe it or not right now ... They will be one of your lifelines. I knew not 1 person when I signed onto this sight a month ago, but now there's not a friend that I would trade off! I just add a few more!! Track every bite that goes into your mouth ... Be completely honest with yourself. For one thing being able to go back and look at your food diary will let you identify eating patterns, and will ultimately let you see all the progress you've made. Even though this site is cal tracking, no matter which type of eating plan you choose, you don't have to worry about the cals because the foods are listed in the database .... Or you can add them based on packaging info, and the cals just appear in your diary as you list your food. Exercise ... Exercise ... Exercise! Exercise isn't (or doesn't have to be) an unrelentless 2 hour gym workout! Start at the level you can handle ... Take leisurely 15 min walks, and then slowly build up your speed. Take a couple of 1lb cans from your cupboard and do some arm lifts, and if you can't get on the floor .... Do wall pushups. Get the blood moving!!

OK ... Now that I've talked your ear off I want to let you know that I'd love to be a friend of encouragement for you here on MFP Add me if you like!

KIM
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Well, I see a good way for you to lost about 150-200 pounds quick.

While I would never discourage someone to lose weight for herself -- for health or vanity, it doesn't matter -- I would discourage someone from staying in a relationship where the other member of said relationship says such hurtful things.

The best advice I can give you is to be mindful of what you eat (healthy, whole foods, high fiber, protein and some healthy fat to keep you from feeling hungry) and exercise. It may take some time to adjust, so little changes one by one are the best way to go.

I agree completely! I have gained 50 pounds since I met my husband and he still finds me as beautiful as the day we met. Plus he is making the same lifestyle changes that I am on MFP. I don't know all the details of your relationship, but if he says that he does not find you attractive then I know I would not stay with him. We all deserve someone who loves us unconditionally. I know I still see my husband as he looked the day we met, and he says the same thing about me.