Would you eat insects?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've tried crickets. And sure, if they were made commercially available and I had some tasty recipes, I'd eat them regularly. Besides, I like trying different things.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've heard that chocolate-covered crickets aren't bad... I'd try them.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a very logical way to get protein on an overcrowded planet. Also, after the Apocalypse, it's less likely that road warriors will loot my home for my meal worm farm than for my chickens.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There are so many things I don't enjoy that I wish I did, but bugs will never be one of them. No.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have always known grub is good protein after watching Lion King 15yrs ago. If my survival depended on grub, maybe, but I would hunt first. But to answer your question, HELL NO! They are disgusting inside and out.

But when I was a kid, I ate ants in my cereal.
  • reviewboy
    Options
    My brother said they served Hormigas Culonas ("big-*kitten* ants") in movie theaters in Colombia and that they were quite popular.

There's a restaurant by the Santa Monica airport (Typhoon) that serves several insect dishes, including an ant dish. They're quite good. And I've had crickets, "larvettes" snack packs (available on Amazon in BBQ flavor!), and a lollipop with a scorpion embedded. Restaurant-grade bugs are easy to find.

I've also tried bundegi (boiled silkworm larvae) from a few street vendors when I lived in Seoul, but I didn't like it. Could have been a bad batch.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The only bugs I eat are the ones I don't know about...

I hate fckn bugs.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I probably would eat insects.

I mean under pretty specific and irregular circumstances.
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    I do not like bugs.
    I do not like them in any style.
    I will not eat them fried or boiled.
    I will not eat them poached or broiled.
    I will not eat them soft or scrambled…
    Despite your argument well-rambled.
    Lol. Just had to say I loved this comment :-) wish I had more energy to respond with something witty like.. try them try them you will see... :)
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    have eaten live and dried meal worm, freeze dried crickets, ants, earthworms, bees. not bad. Earthworms dried are bacon-ish. None were bad, just prefer to not recognize what they are.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    have eaten live and dried meal worm, freeze dried crickets, ants, earthworms, bees. not bad. Earthworms dried are bacon-ish. None were bad, just prefer to not recognize what they are.

Earthworms aren't insects, but close enough! I've never thought of eating them dried.... I still instinctively save worms after a rainstorm by picking them up and bringing them to grass so that they don't get caught on the sidewalk and dry up. I'm probably responsible for many baby birds starving to death :(

Also not insects: scorpions. But closely related, so we'll count them as well.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do not like bugs.

The story ends with that character finally sampling the green eggs and ham and finding they are delicious.
    He then realizes that all that time spent resisting was a complete waste and that he shouldn't declare he doesn't like things before he tries them. Because he can't know until he tries.

That's the entire point of the story. It's a modern parable.

So I have to ask. Have you actually tried bugs?
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm sure half the things my mother cooked when I was growing up were worse. :tongue:
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My mother has lived on them, my daughter would try them, and I would not do either.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Earthworms aren't insects, but close enough! I've never thought of eating them dried.... I still instinctively save worms after a rainstorm by picking them up and bringing them to grass so that they don't get caught on the sidewalk and dry up. I'm probably responsible for many baby birds starving to death :(

Also not insects: scorpions. But closely related, so we'll count them as well.

Hate to tell you this, but once you touch an earthworm with your fingers they die... Something in our skin kills them:/
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat them by accident all the time. I have an organic garden where I grow my own veggies, so little critters are inevitable. I try my best to wash the veggies well and soak in water, but it never fails. Almost every time I make kale soup I find a couple little bugs in it. Sometimes I just tell myself "It's just ground pepper" but I know it isn't because of the tiny, gritty crunch. I don't think I could eat bigger bugs on purpose though. I know bugs exist in processed foods like pre-ground coffee and peanut butter in jars (and much more) but because I can't see it/taste it/crunch it it doesn't bother me. To those in denial about eating bugs, don't look at the "COMMODITIES AND DEFECT ACTION LEVELS" section of what's allowed in small amounts by the FDA. http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/SanitationTransportation/ucm056174.htm
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I do not like bugs.
    You do not like them, so you say.
    Try them, try them, and you may!
    Try them and you may, I say.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nope. Couldn't do it.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When you think about it, its no different to eating meat. I still wouldn't though, except if I was stuck in the middle of no where and there was nothing except insects. Still yuck though haha.