I just don't know where to begin - information overload!!

Options
I've got 20lb to lose and i just don't know how to do it, everything contradicts everything!

How have you personally lost weight??

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That's a problem I found on these forums, some people say one thing some another. You have to find what works for you really and work with that. I find eating my 1200 cals a day and eating extra when I exercise works for me, but I have a lot of weight to loose. You may find my way won't work for you as you have less to loose.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    its really not complicated at all, just eat 500 calories less than your maintenance. what specific details are you struggling with ?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you start or with what theory or practice, as long as you keep an open mind, don't keep changing plans every week, and have patience. I have my preferred methods but nothing beats finding what works for you. So I will say whatever you do, measuring your results accurately will be paramount.

Good luck!

You can friend me if you like.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth. Eat protein first, then vegetables, then fruits, then carbs, if any room. Drink a minimum of 48 to 64 ounces of fluid, preferably water everyday. Walk, even if only around the block at least once everyday
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Really vague sorry but ultimately find a plan and style that you like and can see yourself doing for the long term, don't be afraid to experiment with different styles to ultimately find what works for you, the best plan is the one you stick to.

Oh and lift weights :laugh:
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have 20lbs to lose too. I gained 20lbs since last August so need to lose it again but last year I was running and I can't run anymore due to back issues so trying other things like pilates, swimming, etc.

Difference between last year and this year: last year I was running and eating healthy without dieting and the weight was just coming off. I wasn't even noticing until I had to buy new clothes, saw pics and people was commenting.

This time around I feel like i'm dieting and i'm not running and it's summer, i'm home with the kids all day and at the end of the day I don't feel like going to the gym.

So 2 weeks ago I decided to concentrate on eating right not just dieting and trying to lose x amount of pounds. If I eat out so be it but I count it, I want to run again so I know I HAVE to strengthen my back and core so i'm back in the gym at least 3 days a week, the other days I swim laps in the community pool while my kids are playing. I'm trying to cook more at home as I eat out a lot with friends, family, etc. Most important, every night I plan my meals for the next day. I might change some things here and there like fruit but I try to stick with what I planned.

Let's hope this works.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise for fitness.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've only been here about 1 month. I found the contradictions confusing also (still do). So, I decided to just watch my calories, exercise (only cardio so far) and drink at least the recommended amount of water. I set my goal at 10 pounds and have lost 8. Once I hit my goal, I plan on adding to my work out. I may even set a new goal of 7 more pounds. I never thought I'd make the 10 but now I know I can!
    Do what seems right for you. If you start to see the pounds come off, you're headed in the right direction!
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Read this; http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

It has helped me a lot.