Ezekiel bread

Options
Aprill42
Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
Gooooooooood morning!!!

I was wondering if anyone eats Ezekiel bread?? If so, do you like it? And what flavor do you like best (if they have different flavors).

Also, how do you like to eat it?!?!

I was reading about it and it's supposed to be good for you, so I don't undertsand why it's not more popular. I'm assuming the taste? Bread is my weakness, so I want to try this out. Before I do, just wanted to get some opinions on what to look for and how to eat it.

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• CarrieElizabethA
    CarrieElizabethA Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like it. I always eat the cinnamon raisin. I always toast it and use it to make my sandwiches for lunch. I eat the cinnamon raisin with cucumbers and tomatoes and different recipes of hummus I like to make. It may sound unusual but I like that the raisins add a sweetness to my hummus sandwich. it's good. I also really like the sesame. I always toast the bread though.
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    I enjoy this bread as my only form of bread. The raisin kind makes good french toast, which fits in almost perfectly for a clean eating diet.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've tried it before as toast, which was good. It wasn't so great for sandwiches. It has been a while since I had it so I can't remember what flavor it was. Also, the cost is quite high so that may account for some of the lack of popularity.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used the sesame seed, cinnamon raisin, the regular one and I'm now trying the low sodium bread. I think I like the cinnamon one the best, but I also like the sesame to mix it up. The others aren't really anything special, but they get the job done.

I toast it and then put earth balance and marmite on it as a staple of my breakfast. I like it a lot, I know some folks in my family have tried it for sandwiches and they don't really care for it in that use. As a toast bread it's excellent.

I also buy the sprouted Ezekial tortillas, and I love those. Usually I fill them with hummus as an on the go kind of thing.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I usually get Ezekial 4:9 Low sodium. I like it toasted, grilled(like grilled cheese sandwich or tuna melt) or turned into french toast. I'm not a fan of eating it plain though, it's got a real grainy taste and kinda overpowers whatever kind of sandwich you make.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The only bread my boyfriend will eat (I can't eat breads).

He eats all three, his favorite is probably the cinnamon raisin but because of the sugar he limits that flavor. The other two are pretty equal (I only know of 3 types??).

My parents love it too, they have been eating it for many years. We all just keep it in the freezer and take out piece by piece as needed, since it has a tendency to go bad quicker (less preservatives if any ??).

:happy:
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

He eats all three, his favorite is probably the cinnamon raisin but because of the sugar he limits that flavor. The other two are pretty equal (I only know of 3 types??).

It is entirely possible that there are only three types and my memory is making up that mythical fourth one. I've been buying/consuming it for about a year now, so it's hard to keep track of, haha!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it. Usually as buttered toast with my eggs on the weekends -- you can't have over easy eggs without toast to dip in the yolk!!! My ex called it "Cardboard. But tasty cardboard." So I think it's a texture thing for a lot of people.

I am now gluten free and I like Bella Multigrain Sandwich Bread the best. It's a mix that you have to make yourself, it's even pricier than Ezekiel, but it's tasty and GF.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooove Ezekiel bread for grilled cheese, paninis, and peanut butter toast :) I haven't been getting it lately because it's higher calorie and more expensive than I want right now :smile:
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Obviously, I should toast it. lol

The tuna melt and french toast sound wonderful and I will def freeze it since I'm sure it will go bad faster...
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I only eat Ezekiel. Cinnamon is the best! I also love the English muffins as well.
  • MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat the Sesame & the Sprouted Grain.... usually as toast, but have made PB & J using the Sesame. I like them.
  • Andrea3030
    Andrea3030 Posts: 161
    Options
    Yes, the trick is to toast it. It is ok not toasted but the texture definitely takes getting used to.

It is also super expensive compared to other breads (at least where I live)...it's like $5 a loaf.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Ezekiel breads! They are usually found in most grocer's freezer sections, unless you are in California where you can buy it fresh. Since it's made without any preservatives, it has to be frozen to last. You can usually have it on your counter for about a day or two, but after that it starts to get funky. The fridge is also a decent choice, but I just leave mine in my freezer and toast whatever I want to eat for the day.

As for the different types - CINNAMON RAISIN. That's all you need to know, LOL! I also like their english muffins, but my boyfriend thinks they're a bit too heavy.

The cinnamon raisin bread is perfect with a little butter, peanut butter, or (a personal favorite) the Laughing Cow cinnamon cream cheese wedges. YUM!

Their other breads are also tasty for sandwiches. If you're used to eating regular, full of preservatives bread, you'll likely take some time to get used to Ezekiel. But it is SOOO good.

Also, if you're looking for clean bagels (I haven't found any by Ezekiel), look for Alvarado Street Bakery bagels. THE BOMB!

Phew...OK, I'm done. And HUNGRY now. Enjoy!!!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    It is better for you since it doesn't contain flour, its a perfect protein. I get the sesame and toast it, then spread with organic natural peanut butter or PB2. It has different texture than other breads and can seem dry, so can see why it doesn't make for a good sandwich. I don't really eat sandwiches so have never used it for that.
  • Dharmafor1
    Options
    I like the sprouted grain with sliced banana on it.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's the only bread I have in the house. I use the 7-Grain Sprouted, Low Sodium version. It's best toasted. I have it with peanut butter and raspberry jam, or with my turkey burgers, or with hummus and sliced turkey, avocado, tomato and lettuce. It's great with anything. One of the issues with this bread I think is the expense. At $5.99 a loaf, it's not easily accessible to everyone. The other is texture, not everyone can handle that kind of dry, grainy feel that it can have. (that is why I prefer it lightly toasted)
  • MSGeorgiaPeachy
    MSGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is best when toasted, I don't really like it for sandwiches, with PB2 and or banana it's great
  • JskC1893
    Options

It is entirely possible that there are only three types and my memory is making up that mythical fourth one. I've been buying/consuming it for about a year now, so it's hard to keep track of, haha!

Totally googled after posting that, we only have 3 choices at our stores. Online there is a TON of others, but there seems to be 5 total in the Ezekiel section. Yum. He'd eat the flax one if we had it around here.
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Yes, the trick is to toast it. It is ok not toasted but the texture definitely takes getting used to.

It is also super expensive compared to other breads (at least where I live)...it's like $5 a loaf.

I;m not sure if you live near a trader joes, but check them out for pricing. Our grocers all sell it for about 5 dollars, but trader joes here is 3.50 a loaf, or 3.99 for one of the flavors (cinnamon maybe?).