Why is Zumba so popular?

Options
Zumba in particular? Isn't it just like any other fitness dance class, or am I missing something crucial?

Replies

• SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Whatever blows people's skirts up. I watched some Zumba on youtube, even tried mimicking some, at best I looked like a spastic rhino. I do like Hip Hop ABS, though.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I want to try it because it looks a laugh. If I can laugh and burn calories then I am happy.

Although I have no co-ordination so will look a right nutcase. Hoping to go to a class next Monday or Tuesday.
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I went to a zumba class once to see what all the craze was. I couldn't see what all the fuss was. I wasn't way too impressed..
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I find that it's a completely different atmosphere than other group fitness classes. The class I go to, there are disco lights going, loud music that just makes you want to move and the actual Zumba moves are easy to learn and fun to do. I don't think there is anything "special" or "unique" about it that makes it better than any other aerobic interval class though. It's just a fun way to exercise for an hour.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's fun and the time goes by so fast, I have a hard time on the treadmill or elliptical I get bored easy and the time just inches by. Not with Zumba,
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've never done Zumba, mostly because I have no rythm, but I think it draws people in because it's fun. Not everyone enjoys running, lifting or whatever. If it's enjoyable then people are more likely to stick with it. And for a lot of people, dancing is enjoyble. If it burns calories and you like it, then why not?
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My wife danced in college so she loves zumba because she can let loose and dance. She picks up the routines
    quickly and burns around 500 calories in an hour.. Once in a while I will stay after body pump and do a couple songs
    and it is fun but I am going left when others are going right.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and didn't really like it - you need some coordination which I don't have much of! By the time I got the complicated move, the girl teaching had already moved on.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it. I really don't feel like I am working out at all. The music starts and before I know it 45 minutes are gone. I have no rhythm but found that I could pick up the moves after just a few classes. Some instructors are more hard core than others, but all of the moves can be modified if you need them to. For a while when my plantar facitis kicked up, I had to modify some of the moves, and just worked harder on others. I consistently burn about 500 calories in the hour, but I know lots of people burn more.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE Zumba! Why do I love it?

1. If I don't know how to do certain moves, I'm told to at least dance like crazy and keep my heart pumping fast. :tongue:
    2. After an hour of it, I feel like I can still keep going! It's a workout without feeling like one! :wink:
    3. The classes offered at the university in my town are FREE! So I get to work out with lots of other silly people. :laugh:
    4. When I'm feeling a little blah, I tell myself to do Zumba for at least one song...and before you know it, an hour has gone by. :happy:
    5. I can create various youtube playlists with my favorite Zumba clips/songs. :smile:

Okay, too many smiley faces...

Zumba isn't for everyone, I guess. I do it on my days that I don't run. And I don't like running too much so maybe that's why I really look forward to my Zumba days. If you find a Zumba class with a really fun instructor and a great group of people who aren't afraid to be silly because they don't know the moves, it really makes a big difference! I used to go with the girls in my dorm all the time and we had a blast!

Good luck!
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    I tried Zumba last fall and have been going regularly ever since. I tried a few different classes / times with different instructors until I found the ones whose style I liked and have stuck with them. I can't dance and have no rhythm. My kids tells me I look like a 'bear in pain' when I dance. I suppose that was the nicest way they could find to tell me to stay off the dance floor.

The classes are upbeat, loud and just down right fun. No one judges anyone on their size or ability. The instructor usually shows a modified move for those of us who aren't agile (or young) enough for some of the more complex moves. But there is basicallly no instruction. You have to just jump in and learn as you go. After a couple of classes, you know most of the routines to the songs.

If you get the chance, try a Zumba toning class. Zumba with 2 lb. weights...the chicken wing flaps on your arms will thank you!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba, but I'd be just as likely to go to another aerobics class if it was held at the same location and same time slot. I have no rhythm and it's not my style of music but whatever :)
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down & did a zumba workout on youtube, I didn't want to like it because it is so popular but I loved it! I think the reason I liked it was because it was such a blast, It didn't even feel like exercise but I was out of breath and dripping with sweat, It's a great workout for people who love to dance and enjoy upbeat music :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's great for people who want to do something different.

It's great to get people moving.

It's great for people who just want to get their heart pumping.

It's great for people who don't want to spend time actually dedicated to doing a specific work out.

it's great for people who don't want to research specific workouts- and just get told what to do.

it's also very easily modifiable- you can kind of do whatever and get away with it as long as you are having fun and moving.

And no- that's not a BAD thing- it just is what it is.

it's fun to do different things- and it's easy to just be told what to do. I would do it in addition to my workouts- but i don't have time- I would never SUBSTITUTE Zumba for real training though. I'm not naive.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like it because it's fun and the time goes by so fast, I have a hard time on the treadmill or elliptical I get bored easy and the time just inches by. Not with Zumba,

^^This. Same for me.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba 3 times a week for a few weeks now, and I love it because it's a very energetic, lighthearted and fun way to get your heart pumping. I've attempted running at the gym and could never get into it, and when a friend asked me to join, I was all over it! I also enjoy the songs they get us to dance to :smile:

It's probably nothing different from other aerobic workouts, but maybe because it's still fairly new it's popular? And some of the moves are dirty and really amusing to watch women in their 50s (this coming from a woman in her early 20s) pretty much bump and grind and have a good time.
  • meredithlward
    Options
    Zumba is VERY instructor dependent, which is my main issue with it. I've been to 3 Zumba classes ever, the first 2 I walked out of because the instructors were incompetent and had no clue what they were doing or how to teach. The 3rd was amazing, but I haven't had that day/time off work to go back to the afternoon class. If you can find a good instructor it's fun and a good way to get a workout in without feeling like you worked out or dreading the gym.

For those not so inclined to the "Latin Music," check your gym to see if they offer WERQ dance fitness. It's VERY easy to follow and has a distinct format and choreography, which is different from Zumba.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    another option is bowka

different- less complicated and very easily tailor-able as far as intensity goes.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You're not missing any crucial point, there are just people who really enjoy and prefer fitness classes to other forms of exercise. I think it's really fun, but it can be super hit and miss with the instructors. -You- need to be more in charge of how hard you work in a class, but a bum instructor can really ruin the whole experience. People like it because it's new-ish, it gets you moving, it gets your heart rate up, and it's something you can throw into your schedule a few times a week to break up the monotony.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I tried it once, but I have the grace and coordination of a newborn giraffe. So Zumba is not for me. :)