How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In the last year I have eaten KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc. I eat microwave meals pretty much on a daily basic. I have a take away chinese food / pizza about once a month.

But I also eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, chicken, fish etc. And get plenty of exercise

Personally I feel it's all about moderation. I could cut these out of my diet completely but I enjoy them and I can lose weight eating them. I gained weight by eating them too often and not getting enough exercise. I'm now losing and still get to enjoy them once in a while and fit them in to my daily calorie goals.
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    A stumbled across a photograph of the "chicken" used in processed chicken products, like nuggets and strips etc, one day online. Now THAT was enough to put me off eating it forever. Shame I've always been more partial to beef-based fast foods. :grumble:
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I not only dont buy fast food I even wash the fruit and vegetables I buy at the supermarket, I also rinse meat and fish and pat dry. Its not whats in the food or the nutrients, I just get horrible visuals of people in food processing units going to the toilet and not washing their hands and it makes me heave. My fridges, counters, sink, chopping board , rubbish bin is cleaned with an antiseptic spray every single day and nothing is kept past its use by date , mind you I have OCD lol . Everything is nuked/boiled and if I could soak it in dettol I would
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Fast food makes me sick within an hour of eating it, except Subway.

I get this great idea that I'll just grab something right quick. Well that turns into a day of feeling awful.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unless you raise your own chickens, have your own cow, and grow your own food, you are always going to question the ingredients of what is in the package. Critics are everywhere looking to write a "New" and "Revealing" book or video... even if they have to make it up. Every single article and video has another one in rebuttal, it all depends on who is more glamorized or promoted on Netflix that gets the glory of the moment award.

Then, just when you think you are in control of your families food supply, your neighbor turns you into the EPA, USDA and any number of out of control alphabet soup agency because he doesn't like how tall your grass has gotten, the color of your siding, stopping you from using your well water or rain barrels, shutting you down and forcing you back into the controlled food chain.

Soylent Green is "PEOPLE"! Thanks Charleston Heston... you ruined it for me man. Bwahahahahaha
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Haha! It is amazing how they misread my post. It was a personal experience that I had, not a generalized statement. I was simply answering the OP of why I don't like fast food. I actually did see 9 out of 10. Does it happen all the time...no (never said it did) but it was an experience that helped shape my view on fast food.

So then it's quite possible that someone else's experience could have been seeing 9 out of 10 people in line at the grocery store as obese as well?
    Possibly, but Im not arguing for them..I stopped that convo a while ago because she was taking it out of context. I just wanted to clarify:)
    I didn't take it out of context. You said you stopped eating it because 9 out of 10 people in line were obese, inferring that they are obese because they eat fast food and therefore, you would also become obese if you eat it (even in moderation).

So I stated that I have seen a very large number of people (and, really, at least one out of every three or more seem to be overweight in certain places) in a grocery store, so it must be because of the grocery store and I shouldn't eat anything from there, either. I was only following your logic.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You must eat fast food, so my apologies for touching a nerve with my opinion and thoughts to the OP's question

I must have missed this. Was it directed at me?

No, actually, I eat very little fast food. And what I do eat is the occassional veggie and cheese sub (not from Subway, even!) or pizza once every six months or so. If I eat out, 9 out of 10 times it's a local Indian place. If I am on the road with other people and the only choice I have in the matter is a fast food place, either I don't eat or I get a small fry if I'm very hungry. My SO doesn't like to stop at a sit-down place when we travel, so sometimes I get stuck.

I'm a vegetarian, anyway, so there aren't many choices for me at those places. The last time I went into a McDonald's, I had a strawberry smoothie and nothing else. In April, after a night of serious drinking (something else I do about once every two decades or so), a friend brought me an egg white McMuffin and on my long drive home, I had some curly fries from Arby's so I didn't get sick.

Otherwise, I mostly at at home and I cook. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, too.

So, no, I don't eat fast food (or if I do, it's extremely rare and not my choice). But I also think logically and when someone says something silly, I have a tough time letting it go.
  • foxynurse2
    foxynurse2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its definitely hard for me also...:noway:
  • rml_16
    Options
    you mean chemically lab made flavored flash frozen potato that is then fried in a mimic faux french process? hence its name "french fry"

Exactly, and they are delicous :)
    The only thing I miss since going vegetarian is McDonald's fries. They fry them in beef fat. :-(

Not in England...

I don't know why it would be different in England, but they still aren't vegetarian. From last year:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2104472_2104473_2104489,00.html
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.

Yep! I agree.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    you mean chemically lab made flavored flash frozen potato that is then fried in a mimic faux french process? hence its name "french fry"

The only thing I miss since going vegetarian is McDonald's fries. They fry them in beef fat. :-(

Not in England...

I don't know why it would be different in England, but they still aren't vegetarian. From last year:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2104472_2104473_2104489,00.html

"Not vegetarian" and "fried in beef fat" are two different things. The fries are fried in a canola oil blend at the restaurant. There's a small amount of beef flavor used at the processing plant that initially flash-fries them.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not in England...

"Not vegetarian" and "fried in beef fat" are two different things. The fries are fried in a canola oil blend at the restaurant. There's a small amount of beef flavor used at the processing plant that initially flash-fries them.
    *sigh*

The change is a recent one, first of all. Second, my point was I can't eat them because I am vegetarian and THEY ARE NOT. That hasn't changed.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Fast food makes me sick within an hour of eating it, except Subway.

That's purely mental.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I've watched 'Super Size Me'... twice.

The first time i just assumed it was just because of the fast food he got so sick.

The second time, i payed more attention. The guy was OVEREATING to the point where he threw up!

If you do that with ANY type of food... even the healthiest kind, you are going to stress out your body/organs and get sick.

It would be interesting to see blood tests/health/fitness tests done on someone who ate only McDonalds for 1 month but ate within their calorie goals/macros. (Although they would probably have to supplement with a multi-vitamin to prevent vitamin/mineral deficiencies if they continued that lifestyle longterm)

I still don't eat McDonald's, but that's more because i'm gluten-free than any other reason... and too much risk of cross-contamination there.

That would be boring, because they would do very well. There's nothing special in McD's food that would adversely affect your health.

Hell, some guy ate almost nothing but Twinkies for a month. He lost weight and all his bloodwork improved.

I wanted to call BS on this so bad but here it is!
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Amazing
    "Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I've watched 'Super Size Me'... twice.

The first time i just assumed it was just because of the fast food he got so sick.

The second time, i payed more attention. The guy was OVEREATING to the point where he threw up!

If you do that with ANY type of food... even the healthiest kind, you are going to stress out your body/organs and get sick.

It would be interesting to see blood tests/health/fitness tests done on someone who ate only McDonalds for 1 month but ate within their calorie goals/macros. (Although they would probably have to supplement with a multi-vitamin to prevent vitamin/mineral deficiencies if they continued that lifestyle longterm)

I still don't eat McDonald's, but that's more because i'm gluten-free than any other reason... and too much risk of cross-contamination there.

That would be boring, because they would do very well. There's nothing special in McD's food that would adversely affect your health.

Hell, some guy ate almost nothing but Twinkies for a month. He lost weight and all his bloodwork improved.

I wanted to call BS on this so bad but here it is!
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Amazing
    "Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

For another data point, here's my lipid profile for the past several years:

lipids.png

In 2004 I weighed 210 lbs. Today I weigh 143 lbs. During this entire time, I've eaten fast food an average of probably 6-7 meals per week. I've had ice cream or some other "naughty" food almost every day this year.

I started off with borderline high cholesterol. Low HDL, high LDL, high total. Today everything is optimal. This is all due to shedding fat, preserving lean muscle mass, and exercising.

Turns out that your body doesn't care whether that piece of grilled chicken came in a box with yellow arches or from the local organic farm. It's just protein and a little fat either way.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Just so you know, McDonald's stopped using beef fat for their fries in the late 1980s. Now they use hydrogenated oil, equally bad for you.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7031384
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Where does that meat come from?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

No, thats not strawberry soft serve. Its Meat --> pink-slime.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

No, thats not strawberry soft serve. Its Meat --> pink-slime.jpg

What you see in that picture is basically pureed ground beef. 100% nutritionally equivalent to ground beef, because that's what it is.

And, oh by the way, McDonald's doesn't actually use that in any of their products anyway.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I dont care too much for it, but if im in a place where there is nothing and I mean nothing else at all to eat I will eat it and just choose the healthiest option on the menu. That being said I do eat out sometimes with my hubby, its just nice to not be a freak about every single thing I eat. :)