How gross is fast food to you

Options
I know how bad it is. I read the book fast food nation and I mostly trust and agree with the information in it. I've seen super size me. I regret eating that junk every single time.
Yet I find myself mindlessly driving thru ordering the usual.

I would like to know how disgusting you find fast high-calorie low nutrient food, in my effort to find it uneatable.
And for the one's who'll say it's delicious and tell us their favorite mcdonalds joke or pun, I'll let a ha ha out in advance.

But seriously does anybody else know how bad it is, and still eat it regularly? what do you tell yourself to stop it?

Thank you

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    I found one fast cure for eating McNuggets and that was to look at a naked nugget. I once peeled the breading off of one and I didn't touch another McNugget for over a year. There are times during the year when I'm on the road a lot. I go 2-3 weekends straight of not being home and in the summer, weekends turn into weeks and travel days are a lost cause. finding good choices on the road is one thing; finding them in airports is nearly impossible. It's tough NOT eating fast food as sometimes it's my only option and like it or not, I need something. When I do eat it I'm that much more careful about the next meal if I can help it and now that I'm making a more conscious effort to workout, I put in that much more time into it when I've gone off the rails.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Pretty much this...
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I can avoid McDonalds because Im hardly ever in the mood for one, but on those rare occassions when I want nothing more than a quarter pounder with cheese, it never tastes that good! I mean the chips are always far too salty, the burger is ok but I always feel sluggish afterwards then hungry not long after that so its really not worth it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

agreed, this is how i deal with it.

i find most fast food 'junk' delicious, and i would eat more of it if i could!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, when I was pregnant, I had horrible, terrible morning sickness and the smell of fast food places and the idea of eating the food (which I had enjoyed quite a lot prior to that) turned my stomach and even now, 19 years later, it still turns my stomach.

But I'm guessing that won't help you.

Also, I don't think a fast food burger has any fewer nutrients than one you make at home. Just sayin'.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I find fast food repulsive. I have not consumed it in five years. The cure for me.....looking at a line at Mcdonalds.....The place that had 10 people in line, and 9 were morbidly obese... Im not saying that is the case everywhere or that fast food is the cause of obesity; Im just saying due to my experience I found fast food was not innocent.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This. It is good to have a healthy relationship with food.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I definitely label most fast food as "bad". I still eat out more than I should but there are certain places and foods I've started avoid. I hardly eat McDonalds anymore - last time I had it I didn't even finish my burger (and I hate wasting food :( )
    I eat Subway often, but I don't consider them in the bad foods catagory. If craving something greasy I usually have Wendy's, though I've definitely changes what I get from there. I used to have baconators allllll the time... now I actually feel like I can feel my arteries clogging when I do. Now I stick to the value menu and half salads. Luckily I don't have very many other fast food options around me though... if there was a taco bell closer by my answer would be totally different, lol
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Fast Food Nation was enough for me! That book is entirely TMI! After reading it I RARELY go through the drive-thru and the closest thing to "fast food" I find myself mealing on is Subway or Jimmy Johns.

If I do eat fast food its because I'm traveling or somewhere that is tantamount to false imprisonment because its just that gross!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Well, the quality of the food set aside, when you think about being at the mercy of the food handler, it can get quite discusting. Nose picking, lack of hand washing, picking things up off the floor, cross contamination, under cooking and temperature control. These things are all out of site and there is no way of knowing if standards are being met.

After seeing an undercover program aimed at showing what really goes on behinds the scene, I am leary of fast food.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find your idea of gross to be odd and misleading when you say gross it sounds to me only due to how its processed and handled and not on its taste / presentation or you find it bad because its high in calories and is sub par?

Fast food in America has played a major part in the degrading of food in the world not just inside of the US it has also played a major factor in monopolization of the food supply into a few multi-nationals that keep the standard as it is to maximize profits. One must also take into account what it has done else where with its considerable growing profits in politics where it buys rights.

I think one also needs to define "Fast Food" lots of good / great healthy fresh foods that are prepared fast vs highly processed assembly line worker Fast Food which imo is what I think when someone says fast food mainly due to the connotation applied to the term alone.

Fast Food certainly has lowered the standard globally on what is food, this is in it self pretty sad. One should need only to reflect on how it manages the industry is a second point of contention with shops on every corner, advertisement on every TV and the internet and even schools for children. ( propaganda from birth to death ) leading the way with its economic policy which is to provide just enough but not to much to better one self.

As Benjamin R Barber said in "Consumed"

"Fast food's essence is not what it is but how it is: its speed, to which everything else including its quality and variety or lack of quality and lack of variety is linked. If there are as yet no fast caviar cafes or fast truffle shops, it is not because caviar and truffles are expensive, but only because complex foods demand well-developed palates and by their very nature demand to be consumed slowly."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find fast food repulsive. I have not consumed it in five years. The cure for me.....looking at a line at Mcdonalds.....The place that had 10 people in line, and 9 were morbidly obese... Im not saying that is the case everywhere or that fast food is the cause of obesity; Im just saying due to my experience I found fast food was not innocent.
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)

I heart you :flowerforyou:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Depends what grocery store! Thank you for the input:) You must eat fast food, so my apologies for touching a nerve with my opinion and thoughts to the OP's question:)
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I think of fast food - I'm thinking burgers or chicken nuggets from mcdonalds, bk, wendys.... or something from taco bell. I haven't eaten anything from any of these places in years and years... so many years I don't even remember. I don't like their practices & just don't want it.

If I'm traveling and need something on the go, I will go for a egg white flatbread from dunkin donuts. Or I'll stop at wawa and get a sandwich, or any of their pre-made to-go items (hummus & crackers, hard boiled eggs, fruit & cheese, etc.). Chipotle (there's not many of them though) I'll get a bean/cheese/salsa/lettuce salad or wrap.

If you don't want to eat there, for whatever reasons, just stop going. Ask yourself why you're going before you pull in. Take it day by day and after a while you'll get used to it.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Fast food was born as TV dinners, as a point of history and then evolved into the market it now par takes these same company's are part of multi-national which produce 90% of what you will find in nearly any grocery store in America.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Pretty gross. I'm going on 3 years with no Mc Donalds, BK, or Wendys. I don't miss it all--even egg mc muffins which really arent too unhealthy kind of gross me out as well. I think its the smell of their oil that grosses me out. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same way about fried chicken. I would have Popeye's or KFC pretty readily although its been over a year since I've had KFC/Popeyes either.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't touch it...no reason when we have groceries and fresh/clean food available...
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Pretty much this...

Agree with this although some things only in moderation :) But I need me a french fry every now and again! :tongue: